Question, re driving to Cape Bayonne port

JEDIKNIGHT

Getting cruise-itis earlier than I thought I would and it's slim pickins vis a vis X and Baltimore. Bayonne comes to mind.

Bottom line: I really don't like driving in the city. Any city. Suburbs, non chaotic freeways and simple exits...fine. Cities, I'd rather not.

I certainly can Mapquest it but that won't answer the question.

Has anyone driven from the DC area to Cape Bayonne? How "easy" is it once you get close to the port? Or, how 'easy' is the drive to get to decent hotels by the port?

Thanks for any observations.

Jedi,

It's pretty easy to get to the port off the New Jersey Turnpike. I know it's right off exit 14 (not sure ab, b, or c) but I know that it's right near the exit for the Bayonne Bridge that goes into Staten Island.

Debate rages on as to the best hotels to stay at, but I would definitely suggest either an airport hotel (you're not going to be far from Newark Airport) or if you don't mind spending the extra in tolls, there are 2 hotels not farr off the highways, one is a Hilton Garden Inn and the other is a Hampton Inn, right next to one another on Staten Island.

Hope you decide which is best for you!

Anita

Guest cadd4u

Once you come over the bridge and get on the turnpike it's easy. Once you get off the exit 14A I think it is you make a right and then a left at the light and then a left at the next light and you're there! Can't be any easier.

Once you exit the NJTpk, it's not far- but there are a number of turns that aren't necessarily clearly marked. As long as you have someone riding shotgun (who can watch for the turns while you drive), you should be fine. (Assuming there aren't any problems on the turnpike LOL)

It is exit 14A off the New Jersey Turnpike and then you need to go over the Bayonne Bridge. Once you get off you take a right and another right, a left and then a left into the cruise terminal. I think it's Route 440.

Here's a link for you: http://www.cruiseliberty.com/cruiseinfo.htm

I would recommend that you look into booking a hotel that has cruise and park and stay the evening before the cruise.

That way you can leave your car there and not have to worry about any overspray damage to you car from Bayonne Dry Dock.

Archived