Printing Lab Preference?

NMCruzzin

I have been asked to do some photo shoots of couples this spring and even though I have used Sam's for my 16x20's of travel pictures in my home...and they are clear, good color....I love'em.! However, I'm wondering if there is a different Photo Lab that anyone uses that can take uploaded pics and then send me pictures that are better quality than what I have been using?

I know some might say, if your happy with Sam's why change? But I have not done couple/family pictures from there so that's why I'm asking.

Dave I know you take a lot of pics of your Grand-kids (I really enjoy looking at them!) When you print them, do you use a local printing Lab?

Thanks for your comments!

I have been asked to do some photo shoots of couples this spring and even though I have used Sam's for my 16x20's of travel pictures in my home...and they are clear, good color....I love'em.! However, I'm wondering if there is a different Photo Lab that anyone uses that can take uploaded pics and then send me pictures that are better quality than what I have been using?

I know some might say, if your happy with Sam's why change? But I have not done couple/family pictures from there so that's why I'm asking.

Dave I know you take a lot of pics of your Grand-kids (I really enjoy looking at them!) When you print them, do you use a local printing Lab?

Thanks for your comments!

Two really good but relatively inexpensive labs that I have used with a high level of quality are: Meridian Pro and Bay Photo. You can google either. They use quality paper and have a real nice finish. The prices are good too, just have to watch the shipping costs. The best bet is to make sure that you have an entire order at one time, and then the shipping isn't so bad per photo.

After some copyright issues, I will never use Sam's or Wal-Mart again. They gave us a hard time about photos that were indeed MINE. I took them, but they said the quality/background was so good that they must be "professional" IE Copyrighted. Just too many hoops to jump through to prove what is mine really is mine!

I use Costco for most of my prints larger than 8X10. For 8x10, 5x7 and, of course, 4x6 in any volume, Costco again gets the nod. For the occasional 8x10 or 5x7, I print at home on my aging Epson R300 on Ilford Gallerie Pearl paper.

For really large stuff (the two 40x60 prints in our living room) or special metallic or coated paper mounted on Gatorboard, I use Precision Color in Las Vegas. I am trying MPix online to see if the good reviews pan out, but no results yet.

I tag the EXIF of all of my photos with my own copyright using Microsoft Pro Photo Tools 2, so I have never had any issue with printing at Costco. One look at the file on their system answers the question.

Dave

I use Costco for most of my prints larger than 8X10. For 8x10, 5x7 and, of course, 4x6 in any volume, Costco again gets the nod. For the occasional 8x10 or 5x7, I print at home on my aging Epson R300 on Ilford Gallerie Pearl paper.

For really large stuff (the two 40x60 prints in our living room) or special metallic or coated paper mounted on Gatorboard, I use Precision Color in Las Vegas. I am trying MPix online to see if the good reviews pan out, but no results yet.

I tag the EXIF of all of my photos with my own copyright using Microsoft Pro Photo Tools 2, so I have never had any issue with printing at Costco. One look at the file on their system answers the question.

Dave

I have had mixed experience at Costco. This picture:

http://dodgerdigital.smugmug.com/Vacation/Caribbean-Cruise-2010/HDR-Artwork-Panoramas/MiamiHDR13/768592562_9dvVe-L-1.jpg

turned out very dark and my others from that HDR gallery were 'acceptable'. Now, to qualify this, you are going to get a darker outcome on matte finish than you will on gloss. My experience at Walmart is consistently bad.

I am a smugmug member, I usually get my prints done there. I can still get 19 cent 4x6 prints with no sales tax but you got shipping. You get what you pay for.

I have an Epson R1900 printer that I absolutely love.

I had the same iffy output until I spent a few bucks and got a calibration unit for my monitor. After setting up a profile and maintaining my monitor's calibration, my home printer output and images sent to labs are dead-on.

Major difference!

Dave

This is great discussion and I truly appreciate all of the recommendations! :)

I've had some nice prints come back from Shutterfly...and I like the books that I make from them too...but I'm really looking for the best in Prints...and your recommendations are so helpful!

Thank You!

This is great discussion and I truly appreciate all of the recommendations! :)

I've had some nice prints come back from Shutterfly...and I like the books that I make from them too...but I'm really looking for the best in Prints...and your recommendations are so helpful!

Thank You!

Jean, I have tried Kodak gallery and scrapbook pictures they are located in OR. I was happy with their quality. Never printed any photos recently larger than a 8 X 10. You could try a small order form them as see if you like it.

Archived