Tip for Private Driver from Heathrow??

I know this has been asked a million times but here goes again. We have made a reservation with Just Airports. Our fare is listed as 34 pounds. So if he handles our bags, etc. how much should the fare be? I have read any where from 'Rounding up' to 10%. If it is 34 pounds and he/she does a really good job would given them 40 pounds be to much????

Thanks,

Tom

I know this has been asked a million times but here goes again. We have made a reservation with Just Airports. Our fare is listed as 34 pounds. So if he handles our bags, etc. how much should the fare be? I have read any where from 'Rounding up' to 10%. If it is 34 pounds and he/she does a really good job would given them 40 pounds be to much????

Thanks,

Tom

There is no right answer here, apart from 40 GBP (close to a 20% tip) is far too much. In the UK a 10% tip is generous.

Just Airports are based around Heathrow transfers and their drivers won't expect any tip at all from people/countries that don't tip and see a tip of 40 GBP from a North American as a windfall.

UK people would probably fall between 'rounding up' to 35 GBP or about 37 GBP if they were feeling generous.

Whatever you feel comfortable with is right.

If the fare is 34 GBP, then you may have an awkward moment giving 35 GBP in notes and waiting for change.

There are taxi/chauffer companies who work a lot with North Americans that are quite slick in making you feel a North American size tip is normal - have none of that.

There is no right answer here, apart from 40 GBP (close to a 20% tip) is far too much. In the UK a 10% tip is generous.

Just Airports are based around Heathrow transfers and their drivers won't expect any tip at all from people/countries that don't tip and see a tip of 40 GBP from a North American as a windfall.

UK people would probably fall between 'rounding up' to 35 GBP or about 37 GBP if they were feeling generous.

Whatever you feel comfortable with is right.

If the fare is 34 GBP, then you may have an awkward moment giving 35 GBP in notes and waiting for change.

There are taxi/chauffer companies who work a lot with North Americans that are quite slick in making you feel a North American size tip is normal - have none of that.

I may well be wrong but I think they were suggesting the £40 as the total ie £6 tip. Which would be fine in the UK.

Archived