Snorkeling equipment & Snorkel sites?

Babie

First off. I'm looking for recommendations on Snorkeling equipment brands. I've snorkeled once, my partner hasn't snorkeled before. But we want to buy our own sets. We prefer the best quality and best price. Any opinions? What type of carry bag do you prefer?

Also, we're doing 2 cruises in April and want to snorkel a few times. Here are our itineraries. Please give me some advice on nice places (list 2 or 3) in each port to snorkel.

Grand Princess:

Belize City - 6 hours

Costa Maya - 8 hours

Grand Cayman - 7 hours

Cozumel - 8 hours

Elation:

Progresso - 8 hours

Cozumel - 8 hours

Belize City - 10 hours

On the Grand, we're doing the Stingray snorkel with Moby Dick tours. In Belize City we're doing Cave Tubing. Others are open.

On the Elation, in Progresso, we're doing Chichen Itza tour. Others are open.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanx.

LES!

The best mask and snorkel you can buy will be found at your local dive shop. They will have many to try on so you can pick the one that fits the best. In snorkeling, just as in scuba diving, one of the most important things is having a mask that fits properly. A leaky mask just ruins all the fun, or at least makes it harder to enjoy. From what I have read, a dry snorkel is worth the cost.

The best price for a snorkel set is probably at Costco right now. They are in stock right now. You won't be able to try one on unless you can open a package, and there is only one make/style to choose from, so if it doesn't fit, you are out of luck. But the price is good. Most people use a mesh backpack to carry their gear.

Personally,I love to scuba dive, but I can barely stand to snorkel. When I do take my snorkel, it usually stays in the bag on the boat.

Of these stops, here is how I would rate the snorkeling:

1. Cozumel - simply fantastic marine life. Easy taxi ride to Dzul Ha where the snorkeling is free if you have your own gear.

2. Grand Cayman - A close second, but you'll be doing the stingray thing. Often they include snorkeling with the trip so you won't miss out.

3. Costa Maya - The water is clear and warm. Not a lot of development yet to foul things up, but fishing is a major source of food for the locals.

4. Belize City - think you will need take an excursion with either the ship or a private operator to snorkel here. I haven't been here so I can't say for certain. Try posting on the Belize section of Cruisecritic.

The best mask and snorkel you can buy will be found at your local dive shop. They will have many to try on so you can pick the one that fits the best. In snorkeling, just as in scuba diving, one of the most important things is having a mask that fits properly. A leaky mask just ruins all the fun, or at least makes it harder to enjoy. From what I have read, a dry snorkel is worth the cost.

Personally,I love to scuba dive, but I can barely stand to snorkel. When I do take my snorkel, it usually stays in the bag on the boat.

Of these stops, here is how I would rate the snorkeling:

1. Cozumel - simply fantastic marine life. Easy taxi ride to Dzul Ha where the snorkeling is free if you have your own gear.

2. Grand Cayman - A close second, but you'll be doing the stingray thing. Often they include snorkeling with the trip so you won't miss out.

3. Costa Maya - The water is clear and warm. Not a lot of development yet to foul things up, but fishing is a major source of food for the locals.

4. Belize City - think you will need take an excursion with either the ship or a private operator to snorkel here. I haven't been here so I can't say for certain. Try posting on the Belize section of Cruisecritic.

I'll definitely go to a Scuba shop. We're going to get Scuba certified for our December Grand cruise, but for our 2 April cruises, we're going to snorkel. When snorkeling, I felt like I was being teased with what I *could* be seeing if I were scuba diving.

A dry snorkel is my goal. The costco packages are out because I want to be able to try everything on. Including the fins. I know how important a good fitting mask is. I want something better than the stuff provided in Cayman in December. Nothing wrong with it, just not high quality... at least in my opinion.

I was on the Grand in December and did the stingray tour with an independant company. They also provide plenty of snorkeling time on the reef. My partner wasn't with me then, so I'm taking him on the same tour because I'm sure he'll enjoy it. Otherwise I'd go somewhere else to just snorkel all day.

In Cozumel, I've read that Dzul Ha is the best. But I've also heard that Chankanaab is nice too. I'm planning on parasailing while there too, but I have no porblem going to 2 different places. We'll be there twice, and don't really have anything planned either time except maybe an excursion to Tulum. Not decided on that yet though.

In Costa Maya, some friends in December took the beach break, so I might just do that after some shopping. I went to some Mayan Ruins when there, so didn't see too much except Costa Maya. Never made it into Mahajual.

I've been to Belize twice and love it there. Since my Carnival stop is much longer, I'm considering taking a water taxi to one of the Cayes for snorkeling. Never been to any of them. I love the look of Ambergris Caye, but they don't remove the "turtle grass" from the beaches, so it's difficult to just walk out and snorkel. I've heard that Caya Caulker is nice though. And it's closer than Ambergris. I'll take your advice and ask on the Belize forum!

Thanx for the info!

LES!

Archived