Child's Passport Question

Lakesilly605er

It has been a few years since we went on a vacation out of the country. Recently we booked a cruise and in checking our documentation realized that our son's passport, although still good, does not look anything like him. He is about a foot taller and his features have matured considerably. His passport will expire about a year after our vacation. Should we just keep using it until it is time to be renewed, or should we renew it early to reflect his older, more mature appearance? I guess I am wondering if anyone has had a similar situation, or has ever had any problems when the picture on the passport does not look anything like the actual person.

There's no problem in continuing to use the old passport, as long as it's not expired (and I believe not expiring within 6 months, but I could be very wrong about that).

Kids grow and change so fast, so a 5 year passport really does showcase changes! We haven't had any problems using our kids' passports even though they look nothing like the photos anymore.

We're going to get our son's passport in the near future...He's only 5 1/2 weeks old now so I can only imagine how different he'll look when his nears expiration! :eek:

I say if it's not expired continue to use it. If you're worried about having a current picture of him in case of something bad happening (God forbid), perhaps make sure to take a recent picture with you and just keep it packed away just in case.

With the cost of passports- you use them until they are about to expire, and if you have no plans to travel, keep then longer than that. They don't worry too much about pictures- imagine the changes people go through cutting and growing their hair, coloring it, etc. Especially with the young ones they expect the kid to look very different. Never had any problems at all and we traveled with my son a lot in many different countries.

We're going to get our son's passport in the near future...He's only 5 1/2 weeks old now so I can only imagine how different he'll look when his nears expiration! :eek:

I say if it's not expired continue to use it. If you're worried about having a current picture of him in case of something bad happening (God forbid), perhaps make sure to take a recent picture with you and just keep it packed away just in case.

Really, do you need a passport for an infant?

Just wondering, because we have one on the way that is basically already booked for a cruise in Jan.

I am getting the 7 year old his soon, but hadn't thought about the baby yet.

Maybe because he is not due til June...

Does anyone know the rules about traveling with and infant and needing a passport for them...

This Grammy has a need to know :confused:

Just wondering, because we have one on the way that is basically already booked for a cruise in Jan.

Does anyone know the rules about traveling with and infant and needing a passport for them...

For a closed loop cruise, that is, one that begins and ends in the same US port, no one needs a Passport. A birth certificate and photo ID (for those over 16 years old), is all that is needed. The baby will be fine. The baby will be 6 months by the time you sail right? That is the minimum age for infants unless you are going ot Hawaii, South America, or doing a Transatlantic, then it's 12 mos.

Thank for your input. Good point about young children. Our son is now in his early teens and proud of the fact that he is now taller than mom and will probaby pass dad later this year if he continues with his growth spurt. I think we will just go ahead and use his current one, and deal with renewing when it gets closer to renewal time. A current picture is a good idea. I am guessing after a couple minutes on board we will have all the current pics we will need.

I just sent off for both my kids' passports and wondered why the lines were so long at the post office. Come to find out, the prices are going up $35 in April. So, I'd renew them now if you can.

But if you have another year or so, and don't plan another trip for a year after that, for example, you aren't going to be saving anything. You keep it for an extra 3 or 4 months and in the long run you are even- longer than that and you are ahead.

Looks like I was late in replying...a PP answered your question - no, for a cruise I don't believe that an infant needs one. However, we live in Michigan and frequent Canada in the summer so we now need passports to go across the border. Also, I feel more comfortable having one for the cruise in case of emergency and we had to fly home. Plus we have the time to get one, so we will "just in case."

Hi Marie, check the passport website, and then check with Johna. I don't think the baby will HAVE to have one, I think the certified birth certificate will work.

Hi back at you, and thanks. I do need to talk to Johna, as she has the Baby down as Helen, :eek: Helen turns out, is a boy :p

For a closed loop cruise, that is, one that begins and ends in the same US port, no one needs a Passport. A birth certificate and photo ID (for those over 16 years old), is all that is needed. The baby will be fine. The baby will be 6 months by the time you sail right? That is the minimum age for infants unless you are going ot Hawaii, South America, or doing a Transatlantic, then it's 12 mos.

Yes, he will be 7 months...

Archived