Best way to get to San Pedro

cruising_daisy

Daisy-

We booked through Marvin at Wet-N-Wild (www.ecotoursbelize.com). We met Marvin at the pier, walked to their booth to finish payment, and he had a bus ready to take us to the airport. We flew over (great view of the water and islands) and walked to the shop (Aqua Divers, I think) where we went to Hol Chan and the Shark Ray Alley. Spent about 45 minutes at each stop. The gear was in good shape (no bouyancy vests for snorkeling, only orange life jackets). The boat was in good shape, and not to crowded (7 snorklers, 4 divers). After we returned, we ate at a restaraunt called something like 'Jamayas'. It was on the main street, north of the airport about 2 blocks, on the left hand side (NW corner of the intersection). It was inside dining, with a gorgeous wood ceiling, a bar area, and seating for 50. They had great food, and out of this world Key Lime Pie. We poked around the 'downtown' area some more before returning on the 3 pm flight. Back in Belize the bus was waiting at the airport to take us back to the port. It was very enjoyable, and all the aspects (taxi, plane, snorkeling) went well. We actually took the early bird tender off the boat (no ticket needed) and were at the port an hour early. Marvin got us an earlier flight over so that we could enjoy the island more. I like that the private tour operators are usually more flexible in timing.

I'll look over my notes and see if I can find the actual name. I'll post a more detailed review on the forum when I get the time.

It was more money, but the flight was something unique, and saved time over a boat trip. We liked the coral formations here better than in Cozumel.

We were on the Splendour of the Seas. I thought the water was fine, but some people were cold. The dive/snorkel shop we went through rented short wetsuits (i.e.-short legged, short sleeved) for $8. Might be worth it if you're worried about the temp. I'd bring a zip-on fleece jacket for when you get out of the water. It was somewhat windy and that's when we got cold. Don't forget your sunscreen! If you have a video camera, take it with you for the flight, then you can tuck it into you bag when you snorkel.

Archived