Southampton - Express Holiday Inn to the Port without a car?

Col1874

Good Morning All!

We've booked to go on Independence of the Seas on 9th October, and we were originally planning on driving down, so we booked the Express Holiday Inn.

We're now considering getting the train to Southampton Central but I think it may be difficult to get to the Holiday Inn as we have a young daughter who will be 17 months at the time of travel - Ordinary taxi's don't have a car seat and im really struggling to get a private hire cab organised.

What I need to know is, how can I get from:

A: Southampton Central Station - Holiday Inn

B: Holiday Inn - Southampton Port

Are there any local buses that pass the Express Holiday Inn?

Map Below:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=SO16+0YP&daddr=Herbert+Walker+Ave&hl=en&geocode=FQE2CQMdv4jp_ynD3iiQ6XV0SDG-dIpa9Kjqaw%3BFQqpCAMd3nrq_w&mra=ls&sll=50.899487,-1.410424&sspn=0.004506,0.006115&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13

Good Morning All!

We've booked to go on Independence of the Seas on 9th October, and we were originally planning on driving down, so we booked the Express Holiday Inn.

We're now considering getting the train to Southampton Central but I think it may be difficult to get to the Holiday Inn as we have a young daughter who will be 17 months at the time of travel - Ordinary taxi's don't have a car seat and im really struggling to get a private hire cab organised.

What I need to know is, how can I get from:

A: Southampton Central Station - Holiday Inn

B: Holiday Inn - Southampton Port

Are there any local buses that pass the Express Holiday Inn?

Map Below:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=SO16+0YP&daddr=Herbert+Walker+Ave&hl=en&geocode=FQE2CQMdv4jp_ynD3iiQ6XV0SDG-dIpa9Kjqaw%3BFQqpCAMd3nrq_w&mra=ls&sll=50.899487,-1.410424&sspn=0.004506,0.006115&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13

The uni link is for everyone

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/travel-connections/bus-connections/southampton-bus-services/

Thanks for that - Had a look at it and didn't see any that passed the Express Holiday Inn so I gave them a call.

They confirmed that the nearest bus stop is a 10 minute walk - I've had a look at the area on Street View and don't really fancy walking.

I've had a look at the law regarding infant car seats - If a car seat is not available for a licensed taxi, you don't have to use one - Dont fancy that though!

...maybe I should just drive!

Our UK Holiday Inn's don't compare to the american ones - They quite often have shuttle buses!

Thanks for that - Had a look at it and didn't see any that passed the Express Holiday Inn so I gave them a call.

They confirmed that the nearest bus stop is a 10 minute walk - I've had a look at the area on Street View and don't really fancy walking.

I've had a look at the law regarding infant car seats - If a car seat is not available for a licensed taxi, you don't have to use one - Dont fancy that though!

...maybe I should just drive!

Our UK Holiday Inn's don't compare to the american ones - They quite often have shuttle buses!

It is a long way to drive.

A quick google came up with this comapny:

http://www.ginostaxis.co.uk/

I have not used them myself but they seem to have car seats.

Good Morning All!

Can you transfer your Hol Inn Express booking to the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Ave?

Very convenient for both rail station & cruise terminals, & very popular with cruisers. Rooms at the front look down Southampton Water, rooms at the back look onto City cruise terminal. With babe & luggage thats a one-minute cab ride from the rail station, a walk (yes, even with babe & luggage, its about 100yards) to City cruise term & a £5 cab ride to any other cruise term.

Its a chunk more expensive.

There are other local Hol Inn/Hol Inn Express, but no more convenient than the one you've booked. And like the one you've booked theres nothing of interest within walking distance of them either.

Or can you cancel the booking?

Etap, Ibis, and Novotel hotels are opposite the rail station, and again are a £5 to £8 cab ride to cruise terminals.

These, and Hol Inn in H.W.Ave, all close to city centre shops etc.

As you've found out, the babyseat regs don't apply to hackney cabs, not too sure about private hire cabs.

John Bull

Unfortunately we can't change our booking - Booked two rooms as well since the in-law's are coming too.

We have a benefits website in my work and I booked at a discounted rate and one of the conditions of the discount, is that I cannot change/transfer the booking.

When it comes to it we'll get there - Just going to be a little more complicated than we'd have liked.

I mentioned that I don't fancy walking 10 minutes to the bus but if thats what it takes then that's what we'll have to do.

Unfortunately we can't change our booking - Booked two rooms as well since the in-law's are coming too.

We have a benefits website in my work and I booked at a discounted rate and one of the conditions of the discount, is that I cannot change/transfer the booking.

When it comes to it we'll get there - Just going to be a little more complicated than we'd have liked.

I mentioned that I don't fancy walking 10 minutes to the bus but if thats what it takes then that's what we'll have to do.

That's one of the disadvantages of discounted bookings, but its something I do all the time, including flights.

Buses and walking at each end with tot & luggage can't be fun. Babe-in-arms is legal in taxis and for the simple 3 to 4 miles e/w journeys involved, I'd be inclined to just book a taxi, carry little'un in the back seat.

JB

Archived