Israeli Experts--Evening in Haifa?

kinghw

Our cruise will be stopping in Ashdod on a Friday, then Haifa on Saturday and Sunday. We will be on a private tour from Ashdod staying overnight on Friday in Jerusalem, then returning to the ship at Haifa port late in the day on Saturday. On Sunday we have another private tour scheduled from Haifa.

My question is about Saturday evening in Haifa. I understand that the town center is close, i.e. walkable from the port. Should we consider looking for some cultural activity or perhaps just an evening walkabout from the ship while in Haifa? Timing is mid-June.

I appreciate any help from the Israeli experts or others who might have been in this situation.

I knew this had been posted somewhere on this forum, but it took a while to find it!

It was written as a suggestion for what to do with a day in Haifa on your own. The responder lives in Haifa, and this is what he suggested for the end of the day, after seeing the Bahai Gardens and other sites in Haifa:

'Go then down (use the public bus) to the German Colony and walk along Ben Gurion Blv. The colony is the place to have a drink or even dinner before getting back to the ship.'

(I'm from the Jerusalem area, so don't know all that much about Haifa, but it should be pretty much like it is around here, which means cafes will be open until 11pm at least, and likely later. In addition, Haifa is a 'secular' city, so cafes, restaurants, and stores will be open all day Saturday; I believe that public buses run on Saturday as well.)

HTH- as least a bit!

Ruth

We spent almost two weeks in Haifa last Fall (wife had an emergency operation). I did some walking/riding around while she was in the hospital. I don't think downtown near the port is a real good place to go on foot at night. Take taxis and go further. The other suggestions above are good. Also, you could take a ride on the shortest subway in the world from downtown to Mount Carmel, with an intermediate stop at the restaurant area and you're within 6 -7 blocks of the gardens at the top. The view of Haifa, the port, and the surrounding area is beautiful from Mount Carmel.

Archived