Left items on board....oops...help

drsullivan

On the Inspiration in 2001, we had a quad cabin, and on the morning of departure, I checked under the mattress of one of the upper bunks, as DD could not find her watch, and this is where she had slept. I found no watch, but did find two credit cards, which I turned in to the Purser's Desk. Turns out, they belonged to the pax who were in our cabin the week before, and had reported them missing. I'm assuming they were returned to the owner. We never did find the watch, though, and reported it missing at the same time. It was a Fossil watch, bought onboard, and I left the receipt with them. Nada. Not blaming CCL at all, though. Not cruise-related, but about ten years ago, I was staying at a very nice AI Palace resort in Cancun. They had a fashion show by the main pool one afternoon, and I bought a bathing suit. I put the receipt into my pocket, went back to my room, and left the suit (inside the plastic bag) on my bed. I left for maybe 10 minutes to get some chips and salsa, and when I returned to my room, the bag and suit were gone. I immediately went to the Front Desk to report it, and showed my receipt. Got a total runaround UNTIL -I produced my IATA card the next day and demanded to speak to the Manager. Our agency had booked this resort for years. I got $50.00 US cash back within half an hour. Had I not been a TA, I would have gotten nothing. I also left my new camera on a tour bus to Tulum, but that was my own dumb fault. We take our chances, but there are Honest and Dishonest everywhere.

My husband left his glasses in one of the nightclubs on our last day and didn't realize it until we were on our way home. We called Carnival and explained the situation. Believe it or not they found them and shipped them to our home. He had them within the week. We were surprised to see them arrive.

=pinkbarbie;

It is probably with a single pink croc somewhere.

One of my all time favorite threads...........:D

Regarding my camera and photo card: The very first picture is of my name, address, cell phone and email, so if someone finds it someday and wants to return it, I would gladly reimburse them the postage ($.44?) since it's a tiny card.:)

When we were putting away our bags on the first night we found one single dress shoe under the bed. My DD and I laughed because this was SO something we would do.

We put that shoe to good use. My mother and aunt were in the cabin next to us. Whenever we wanted their attention we would toss the shoe over to their balcony and vice versa. It became somewhat of game for us especially when the shoe would come hurling across at odd times.

We did leave the shoe in the room but whenever we talk about that cruise - the shoe comes up.

One of the gentleman in the group I was with put his camera down and walked away...remembered 10 min later and came back looking for it.....GONE!

Chances are those items will never show up....I'm sure your daughter will be disappointed but there's probably nothing you can do about it.

Same here!:mad:

My wife once left her purse, with the usual cash, credit cards, checks, in a fast food restaurant. She went back four hours later and it was still under the table. Nothing touched. I had already started making phone calls.

After reading this post before leaving for our cruise on the Legend, we were faced with a question of what to do when we found a cell today. We were waiting to get off the ship when my husband noticed the couple sitting next to us had left their cell phone. I wasn't sure if we should turn it in or call someone in the contact list and try to get ahold of them. We opted to call the number listed under mom. We also answered an incoming call and found out that she waiting for them outside the terminal. After a few additional calls we were in touch with the rightful owners. They waited for us in the baggage claim area. We delievered the phone and as a thank you they had gathered our bags and saved us some time in the baggage claim area!!!! Not sure if that was the best way to handle finding the phone but it worked out in the end.

Mindi

I've never left anything onboard at the end of a cruise, but I have gotten lucky with an item I accidentally set down and forgot. Once on Glory, we were trying to decide which of our portraits to purchase when I set down my camera bag, containing my camera and two full memory cards, and I forgot to pick it back up again when we left. By the time I remembered and returned, the bag was missing. I checked with the photographers and went to the guest relations desk, where they recorded the lost item and told me that it'd probably turn up. When I returned to the photo gallery to meet my family, they told me that the camera had turned up - it turns out the photo manager had spotted the bag and was in the back putting it in a secure place while I was out questioning the other photographers! Relieved, I reclaimed my bag and went back to guest relations to let them know they could cross my name off their list. This time, I spoke with a different purser and she told me she was glad, because things very rarely turn up. How quickly their story changed!

Don't give up all hope yet! My fiance' left a VERY Expensive digital camera in the bathroom on the Fantasy this past Sept. A very good score for someone but thankfully the person who found it turned it in to the lost and found opposed to keeping it for themselves. :)

There are still some good people out there!

Regarding my camera and photo card: The very first picture is of my name, address, cell phone and email, so if someone finds it someday and wants to return it, I would gladly reimburse them the postage ($.44?) since it's a tiny card.:)

That is a real good idea! Worst case senerio, if someone keeps your camera at least they know whom they are stealing from! I think I am going to do this too then the next one a picture of me so they can put a name with the face!!:D

Don't give up all hope yet! My fiance' left a VERY Expensive digital camera in the bathroom on the Fantasy this past Sept. A very good score for someone but thankfully the person who found it turned it in to the lost and found opposed to keeping it for themselves. :)

There are still some good people out there!

I love hearing stories like this. :)

On our last cruise, my friend left a bottle of medication in the bathroom. I believe it was Phenergan for nausea. It was something that she took only as needed so she hadn't realized she had left it. About 2 weeks later she received a package in the mail from Carnival. It was her medicine.:)

We left some clothes in a hotel room and came back to the same place a month later and they were in the lost and found.

Once on a ship, we found a camera on a table. We turned it in to the customer service desk. Hopefully the person who lost it got the camera back.

When we were putting away our bags on the first night we found one single dress shoe under the bed. My DD and I laughed because this was SO something we would do.

We put that shoe to good use. My mother and aunt were in the cabin next to us. Whenever we wanted their attention we would toss the shoe over to their balcony and vice versa. It became somewhat of game for us especially when the shoe would come hurling across at odd times.

We did leave the shoe in the room but whenever we talk about that cruise - the shoe comes up.

What a fun way to put it to use! :D

My mom left ALL of her jewelry, basically everything of value she owns, in her cabin on our Fantasy Jan. 25th sailing. She didn't realize what she'd done until the next day (Sunday) after arriving back and put a call in first thing to Carnival Monday am. Long story short, she received the entire contents of her jewelry bag in the mail about a month later! Dad said it was the first time he'd seen her smile since the cruise. Have faith!

After reading this post before leaving for our cruise on the Legend, we were faced with a question of what to do when we found a cell today. We were waiting to get off the ship when my husband noticed the couple sitting next to us had left their cell phone. I wasn't sure if we should turn it in or call someone in the contact list and try to get ahold of them. We opted to call the number listed under mom. We also answered an incoming call and found out that she waiting for them outside the terminal. After a few additional calls we were in touch with the rightful owners. They waited for us in the baggage claim area. We delievered the phone and as a thank you they had gathered our bags and saved us some time in the baggage claim area!!!! Not sure if that was the best way to handle finding the phone but it worked out in the end.

Mindi

One time DH and I were sitting in the lido restaurant on the Glory and he glanced over at a table where there was a cell phone on it. Right away he looked around for the person who had been sitting there. He spotted her walking away and grabbed the phone and ran after her. Well she gave him an earful! Apparently she was leaving the phone on purpose to save the table while she went to the mongolian grill.

I'm not sure if this was posted here, but here's what I did with my digital camera...I drafted a Word document on my computer that reads something like..."If this digital camera is found, please call ***-***-*** or email *****@***.com". I then took a picture of this document on my computer screen with my digital camera. It's always the 1st picture on the camera. Whenever I delete/move pictures from the camera, I always leave this one on there.

Hopefully someone will look at the pictures and see the "If found" message. Thankfully, I've never needed it.

that seems to be the norm; i.e., items are left in the room and never are reunited with their owners--even if Carnival is notified within hours of the passengers leaving the ship

what do you think happens? do you think the stewards find the items when cleaning the cabins and adopt a "finder's keeper's" mindset? I am not implying that the stewards are necessarily dishonest, in that I don't think they would steal anything from the cabins while the cruise was going on...but they might just assume that if a passenger left it, then it's the passenger's loss

thoughts? has a former or current cruise employee ever spilled the truth about this? anything in Cruise Confidential on this subject matter? :confused:

I think just as many passengers adopt a "finders keepers, losers weepers" philosophy. Just the other day there was a thread about things people have found in their room safes. It seems that if a credit card was left, people turned it into the pursar's desk. If it was cash, they kept it. Not one person on that thread said that they had turned in cash that they had found in the safe or in a drawer.

That's so refreshing to know there are some honest people out there. Never lost or left anything cruising, but when snow skiing in Colorado, I left a bathing suit on a hook in the bathroom and it was never found. Another trip left a fur coat in the indoor pool area the day I got there, went back later, it was gone. Called the front desk and someone had turned it in! Wow, was I happy cause my mother had just given it to me for Christmas. Thank goodness for the honest people.

I saw a post about a lost camera and a poster had a great tip about writing down your name, address & phone no. on a piece of paper and take a picture of it, so if you lose it and someone honest finds it, they could possibly return it.

Great Idea!

Maybe your things will turn up. Hope they do........

I too hope your stuff turns up but I wouldn't hold my breath on it unfortunately.

But uhhh...a "fur coat" by the pool...I'm glad you got it back but I guess I got a little chuckle out of the very idea of wearing a "fur coat" to a pool. :p

I think just as many passengers adopt a "finders keepers, losers weepers" philosophy. Just the other day there was a thread about things people have found in their room safes. It seems that if a credit card was left, people turned it into the pursar's desk. If it was cash, they kept it. Not one person on that thread said that they had turned in cash that they had found in the safe or in a drawer.

Not that I think its ok to keep the cash - I do think it would be harder to really know 'who' left it and if it made it back to the owner? If it was less than $100 - I'd probably wait till the end of the week - and if the steward didn't inquire about it (on behalf of the past week's guest) - I'd probably keep it. :o

Archived