Medical visit and travel insurance question

qqmelodia

Hi All,

We just booked a Carnival Glory cruise with my will-be 2 years old daughter. I am trying to decide on travel insurance and medical coverage, since kids tend to get sick a lot and I am trying to plan ahead.

My question is:

1. Does travel insurance with medical coverage, cover ship doctor visit if she needed to be seen by the ship doctor?
  2. How is the cleanliness of the children's facility, do they get sick as often as they do in daycare?
  3. If you have to pay out of pocket for ship doctor visit, how much does it usually cost?

Thank you so much in advance for your answers.

Best regards,

qq

Hi All,

We just booked a Carnival Glory cruise with my will-be 2 years old daughter. I am trying to decide on travel insurance and medical coverage, since kids tend to get sick a lot and I am trying to plan ahead.

My question is:

1. Does travel insurance with medical coverage, cover ship doctor visit if she needed to be seen by the ship doctor?
  2. How is the cleanliness of the children's facility, do they get sick as often as they do in daycare?
  3. If you have to pay out of pocket for ship doctor visit, how much does it usually cost?

Thank you so much in advance for your answers.

Best regards,

qq

Travel insurance policies vary widely. You'd need to specifically answer that question of the insurance provider, to get an accurate answer. Generally yes, it would be covered, but when I'm making some decision about someone else (like you are, for your child), I'd be on the phone, asking.

You ask about children's facilities. If you're asking about clinic facilities, there aren't separate facilities for children. What is there is as clean as a hospital. If you're asking about the child play facilities, someone else will have to answer, as I don't have kids and don't use them.

Cost: it's pretty expensive to use the ship's medical facilities. Prices can range anywhere from $50 up..and usually up. Even with most trip insurance, you have to pay out of pocket (it'll be billed to your sign-and-sail card), get the paperwork to confirm your visit, and file for reimbursement once you're home.

If your child has some chronic illnesses you might want to talk to her pediatrician before you leave, and see if there are any meds she might suggest. For example, my niece had chronic ear infections..the doctor was willing to provide a prescription for the medication which my brother had filled, and took with him, "just in case". Fortunately he didn't need it, but had she had that problem, he would have been ready.

Have a great cruise!

Archived