Varna, Bulgaria???

Our Azamara cruise is stopping in Varna, Bulgaria on June 27. I haven't found much information and are open to suggestions. Here are a few questions: Has anyone found a private tour company or guide other than Patrick?(highly recommended on CC but not available):( What is there to do for one day in Varna? Is it easy to do on your own? Is English widely spoken?

Thanks, Pat

Our Azamara cruise is stopping in Varna, Bulgaria on June 27. I haven't found much information and are open to suggestions. Here are a few questions: Has anyone found a private tour company or guide other than Patrick?(highly recommended on CC but not available):( What is there to do for one day in Varna? Is it easy to do on your own? Is English widely spoken?

Thanks, Pat

We went 3-4 years ago in Holland America and took the ship`s excursions. I do not recall there were many options and I do not believe the infrastructure was there yet for tourism.

Attached please find web page from Lonely Planet. Enjoy your trip!!!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/bulgaria/black-sea-coast/varna

We visited Varna by HAL in 2007 & determined that our best option was a shorex. We simply couldn't find much as independents.

We did an all-day tour that covered the main city highlights of Varna (not too many). We then traveled thru the surrounding countryside & did a short hike to the famous Maderia Horseman. Our tour ended with a tour of a small-production winery, where we sampled wine, cheese & Bulgarian pastries. The wine was excellent, especially reds. Everyone purchased some to bring back on-board. At $5/bottle, it was an incredible deal.

Our Varna guide was excellent & our transport was comfortable. As I remember, our group was probably about 20 pax. Maybe check the Azamara excursions & see if anything appeals?

We really enjoyed Varna. It is very walkable. We took a ship shuttle to the cathedral and walked the town from there. The museum ( with the Thracian gold) was excellent. Then we walked to the ruins of the Roman baths (we always try to see a Roman ruin wherever we go). Sat in the square and people watched. It was a delightful town.

• 5 years later...

Hi, there is an option for Half Day or Day bike tours in Varna organized by Plateaucycling

It is a good way to see the city and the country side in an active way

Find them on their web site