Passport-name question

layditx1

When I applied for my passport, the guy at the post office said there might be a problem since my husband's and my names are different!I chose to keep my previous name when we got married....maybe this guy is just old fashioned and thinks women should change their names the minute they say "I do"! He just kept looking at my husband's name and then at mine! Anyway, has anyone had a problem with delays in getting their passports because of this?

Thanks!

Doesn't sound right to me. Your marital status has no bearing on how your passport application is processed unless you are newlywed and looking to change your name on your passport to your married name.

My husband (then fiance) and I applied for our passports at the same time and had no problem whatsoever despite our names being different.

It shouldn't be an issue as long as your name matches the birth certificate and other ID you brought. If your husband hadn't been there, he wouldn't have even known your names were different. His job is just to take the information and your statement that the information you are providing is true. He's not involved at all in the actual approval of the passport application.

Well, hubby wasnt' there, I just listed him on page 2, where it asked "have you ever been married"....I just thought it was kinda funny the way he couldn't seem to wrap his mind around the fact that our names were different!

PS-does anyone know how I make my countdown clock show up???:D

Well, hubby wasnt' there, I just listed him on page 2, where it asked "have you ever been married"....I just thought it was kinda funny the way he couldn't seem to wrap his mind around the fact that our names were different!

PS-does anyone know how I make my countdown clock show up???:D

I don't mean to be offensive, but, while I agree with you (oldest DD kept maiden name. So did DIL), this is not the norm. Passport Officials are used to seeing applications to change maiden name to married name on existing Passports all the time, as well as submission of marriage license for new applications, so it's not surprising that you stated you were married on your new Passport application and were questioned about keeping your maiden name. When I worked as a TA, I booked many, many Honeymoons, and the bride-to-be inevitably insisted on booking the out-of-country Honeymoon trip in her newly-married surname. I always had to explain that this just wasn't possible, as it usually took time for the marriage license to be issued, and this license then had to be presented to the DMV to get the new surname on the DL or State ID - the required photo ID. It could often take weeks. The Honeymoon generally began a day or two after the wedding, so bookings had to be made under the bride's maiden name. I once had a bride who was so incensed about having to book under her maiden name (even after a 3-way call to Sandals) that she stormed out of our office and headed to the "rival" Travel Agency. She stormed out of there, too, so we have no idea where she ended up!

Sorry - can't help you with the Countdown Clock.

But individuals are getting passports these days- not couples. And although it still might be the norm that a woman takes her husbands name, it is hardly an unusual thing these days for women to keep their own. Sounds to me like someone was making a political statement not acting out of confusion. But rejoice- not that long ago a woman had to get her husband's permission to get her own passport.

But individuals are getting passports these days- not couples. And although it still might be the norm that a woman takes her husbands name, it is hardly an unusual thing these days for women to keep their own. Sounds to me like someone was making a political statement not acting out of confusion. But rejoice- not that long ago a woman had to get her husband's permission to get her own passport.

I've never heard of "couples" Passports. They've always been individual. I agree with the gist of your post, but disagree with the "someone was making a political statement", because I don't think that's at all true. I got my first Passport in 1964 - no husband, and no parental permission needed, because I was at least 18. How long ago are you talking about? It definitely wasn't the case in 1964 or 1974, when I WAS married and renewed my Passport! I didn't need anyone's permission either time!

When I applied for my passport, the guy at the post office said there might be a problem since my husband's and my names are different!I chose to keep my previous name when we got married....maybe this guy is just old fashioned and thinks women should change their names the minute they say "I do"! He just kept looking at my husband's name and then at mine! Anyway, has anyone had a problem with delays in getting their passports because of this?

Thanks!

I would have told him there is no problem.....we have been getting all of our mail.........at the same house........with different names.........;)

Laydi,

You need to go to your USER CONTROL PANEL. You can find that under Quick Links in the info bar, top right of your screen, under the Welcome box.

Go to User Control Panel, Edit signature, and in the box that opens, paste the URL of your countdown clock in the edit box, click save, and it should show up in all your posts.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

Thanks!

Just wanted to comment on the "old-fashioned" way of thinking. When my BF Rick and I booked our cruise with CCL we were able to obtain a very nice military discount. In order to qualify, I had to E-mail a copy of my DD-214. The form is in my maiden name as I served shortly after high-school and prior to college. The cruise documents are in my current last name ( former married name, divorced now) So in order to prove I was who I said I was, I had to dig up my marriage license from my former husband, ( thank-goodness I didn't burn it) Then, I had to submit a copy of my Birth Cert. and copy of my Driver's License that reflected my current last name. All of this had to go to review in the documents dept. at CCL prior to being approved for the Military discount. Then, here's the kicker, I was asked who Rick is, :eek:( He is my BF) BTW I have been divorced for almost 2 years! His name is obviously on the cruise documents and didn't match either may maiden or current name. Can you imagine?? I know that I am not the only female to have served that has come accross this problem.

There must be an easier way then to have to jump through hoops.

Archived