Celebrity Kids club on port days

Scrapchick

I have been on Celebrity before with my daughter but not for a few years. We have two Celebrity cruises coming up and there may be times she stays on board the ship while we are in port. (I am absolutely not interested in criticism about that, so don't even bother....)

I called Celebrity to get the latest kids club hours of operation and was told there was NO port day supervision at all on Celebrity. I told the lady politely but firmly that was simply not true at all based on my cruising experience with Celebrity and other cruise lines.

She put me on hold for what seemed like a very long time and then came back and said port day hours were 9AM-10PM and the cost was $6 per hour.

I said I had never heard of a charge by the hour for port day supervision in the kids club during normal hours of operation but she held to it.

I asked specifically about St Petersburg hours because of very long ship tours departing very early in the morning and was told the kids club would not be open before 9AM. That would preclude just about any tour for the parents.

I am fairly sure she doesn't really know what she's talking about because I recall it being quite different on my previous Celebrity cruises, and Celebrity is largely in line with other cruise lines kids club hours and policies as well.

Has anyone cruised with kids recently on Celebrity and can verify any of this???

Hi! We were just on the Mercury, and the only time there was a charge during port days was 12-2 and after 6, and I believe that was $6 an hour (and the kids are fed). Mornings and afternoons were free. Not sure about St. Petersburg, they might offer extra hours based on the schedule. I'm sure someone here will know. Enjoy!

Were you able to leave the ship??? I ask, because my TA is on the phone with X right now and they are telling her parents MUST be on the ship for the kids to be in the kids club!! They said there is one on one supervision by special request and only if staff are available at a cost of $8 per hour...

I have never heard anything like it!

Program Hours:

The Children's Playroom / Fun Factory is open daily from 9:00 A.M. - 10:00 P.M. each day.

Slumber Party from 10:00pm - Midnight is offered each night on a sign up basis for a fee of $6 per child, per hour.

Only while the ship is docked will a nominal fee of $6.00 per hour per child, children ages 3-12 years old who wishes to participate in various sitting services offered by the X-Club Youth Program;

Afternoon Party from 12:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M. (port days only)

Dinner Party from 5:00pm - 7:00pm (complimentary while @ sea)

Slumber Party from 10:00 P.M. - 1:00 A.M. daily (complimentary on the last night of the cruise).

On the last evening of the cruise , the Celebrity Youth Program hosts a, "Parent's Night Out" in which children participate in a Pizza Party, evening activities, and complimentary Slumber Party, while their parents enjoy their last evening of fine dining and world class entertainment. Ensign (10-12 years) and Teen (13-17 years) activities are hosted by the Youth Staff. Ensigns and Teens are free to enter and leave activities as they please.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000zv6Eb2CBI-o5k6KvuedqsD9:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Youth+Activities%2FFamily+Activities&faqId=617&pagename=faq_answers

No, that doesn't apply to us... I have a completely normal, highly social 9 year old who would rather stay on the ship than tour with her parents most of the time.... I keep hoping that will change but need to be prepared in case it doesn't.

Based solely on internet searches:

The club opens 30 minutes before scheduled port arrival, and you will be charged only for the hours I pasted in the earlier post. The only "stay on board" restriction I have found is regarding special needs children.

That is my understanding as well... Thank you. I do not understand why Celebrity reps are so badly informed and pass on inaccurate information to their guests. I am an experienced cruisers and challenged what I was told, but not everyone will.

That is my understanding as well... Thank you. I do not understand why Celebrity reps are so badly informed and pass on inaccurate information to their guests. I am an experienced cruisers and challenged what I was told, but not everyone will.

However useless my input may have been, ;):D, at least it kept your question near the top of the forum where a recent cruiser will be more likely to see it and respond. :)

I think Norwegian charges for any time in port, I had a baby recently so maybe I am wrong, but that is what I remember! =) Yes, Scrapchick, we were able to leave the ship without any issues. Our 5 year old stayed happily on board. I'm jealous of your N. Europe itenerary! It is wonderful and St. Petersburg is especially awesome. We loved that cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Hi all! We took a Baltic/St Petersburg cruise (loved it!!) last year and we also left our kids on board for one stop, though we did take them with for St Petersburg.

We used the Roll Call board to connect with four other families. Two with kids about the same age as ours. We got together and booked a private tour with a tour company - message me if you want the name. They sent us a very friendly guide who kept the kids in mind wherever we went. For instance, she made time for an ice cream stop at Peterhof Palace, and we sampled Russian pickles at a farmer's market. There wasn't a lot of time to get bored.

No criticism here for leaving kids on the ship - my husband and I love having a day to ourselves, but St Petersburg was so fun for the kids, if you can talk your daughter into it, she will have a great time!

Bringing this up again.... My TA spoke to the highest up person she could find at Celebrity and was told that indeed, the kids club IS closed on port days and especially on the long St Petersburg days because the cruise line is worried about parents being off the ship and something hapening to the kids and not being able to get in touch with the parents. They have promised they will provide some kind of babysitting and if there are enough families on board who want the service they will open the kids club but will charge for it.

I'm just speechless.... I have never been on a cruise and heard of this before, and that includes Celebrity. Port day supervision is always available for those that want it... We're going on the Equinox next weekend and I find it very hard to believe that the kids club will be closed for every day in port.

Factgirl... On YOUR Baltic cruise, was that the case???! This is the offical word coming down from on high at Celebrity, according to my TA, who doesnt buy it either...

On our cruise, the kids club was open every day. On port days, there were activities as usual, but there was a $6 per hour fee to leave them. Sea days the only fees were if the kids would stay over lunch and dinner or the late night slumber party.

Hopefully this will be the case for your cruise. In my experience, you can call celebrity three times about information like this and get three different answers; supervisors or no supervisors.

Best of luck!

Archived