Taking a Hawaii cruise - things to do in Kailua Kona and Hilo

priya08

I have done a helicopter ride from Kona and it was absolutely SPECTACULAR!! Yes, it is very pricey, but IMO, if a Hawaiian cruise is going to be a once in lifetime type of thing for you, try to do it. We flew all over Volcano National Park, and saw flowing red lava, steam coming out of the vents, huge craters etc. We saw where previous lava flows had gone over nearly an entire neighborhood, flattened houses blocked roads and spilled into the ocean. You can really see so much more from a helicopter because you go over so many places that you simply can't access by car. We also got right up close to quite a few very large and amazing waterfalls...the kind of thing you only see in movies!

The tour we did was with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. We did a tour with them in Maui also, and both times the pilots were extremely professional and informative.

Agreed, if you have the time, money, and cojones (I had to find mine - flying in general is uncomfortable for me; a helicopter was terrifying), DO a helicopter tour!

I also used Blue Hawaiian and they were great! When I went there was a camera on the nose of the helicopter, and we were given a copy of the video of everything we saw on the tour. I guess nowadays they might give you a DVD. Just beware that everything you say once you put your headset on is also recorded. One of my most embarrassing moments ever - I'm a petite girl and I got stuck in the middle of the bird in between two very tall people... not knowing I was being recorded I leaned over to my friend and yelled "I can't see a damn thing!" Myself, my friend, and all our fellow passengers had that as a keepsake of the experience. :eek:

Anyway, helicopter tour is great. Don't miss Volcanoes National Park. If you can drive south from the park, stop at Punaluu black sand beach and say hi to the turtles. Keep going south you can reach the southernmost point of the United States.. beautiful photo opportunity.

Have a blast! I fell headlong in love with Hawaii.

We were in Hilo for one day (on a cruise) last month, and booked with Marylou's Big Island Tours. She only accomodates four people, maximum, and charges $75 per person for an all-day trip. You choose where you want to go. We started with VNP, the lava tubes, an orchid farm, the Mauna Loa macadamia nut farm (mmm!), parks, waterfalls, beaches, sea turtles....she was a wonderful guide, and makes your day in Hilo very enjoyable.

Hello Friends...this morning I started booking our shore excursions and called local law enf in several ports just to get suggestions from them since I was a law enf person and we kind of watch out for each other.

It was suggested I call Mel Miranda of Mirandas tours of HILO.

Mel sounded very nice he has been leading tours in Hilo for years. He has vehicles that carry 6 people so small limo vans ... His tour can go northbound or south and covers Hilo city, residential areas , the coast , volcanos, bio gardens, waterfalls etc he basically designs the tour for you if you know what you want or he will guide you once you get in his van. He said he will also go places no tour bus will ever go.. its about 5 hours plus of touring or more if you care to spend more time taking photos watching surfers .. My wife and adult son and myself are now booked with him..5 hrs min for $50 each. He has openings right now in only 2 other vehicles thats 6 people in a vehicle. So 12 more openings and he's filled. ( I also contacted Rickys and he sounded good also but this one was recommended ) Now I don't know Mel personally I am only reporting to you what I was told and that we are booked with Mel...

His office is 808 936 8660 his home is 808 962 6931

He also said he will be at the dock at the gate with a sign and to call him when we arrive. We have 3 more openings in our car if you like we are scheduled to lv on tour at 8AM returning about 1-2 PM which will give us time to walk around shop go on board and have tea also Mel said after the tour he can take us to some great shopping areas where locals shop for shirts hats jewelry.. It sounded pretty good and Mel sounded friendly and knew what we wanted to see.. Just sharing the information for HILO ..

I also used Blue Hawaiian and they were great! When I went there was a camera on the nose of the helicopter, and we were given a copy of the video of everything we saw on the tour. I guess nowadays they might give you a DVD. Just beware that everything you say once you put your headset on is also recorded. One of my most embarrassing moments ever - I'm a petite girl and I got stuck in the middle of the bird in between two very tall people... not knowing I was being recorded I leaned over to my friend and yelled "I can't see a damn thing!" Myself, my friend, and all our fellow passengers had that as a keepsake of the experience. :eek:

We are going the Blue Hawaiian route because of the slight chance of lava viewing lol that would be something I would do *thinks she get stuck in the middle seat too as a petite*! I am glad that you still had fun despite height issue . . . was your window person kind to lean back so you could see . . . or did you get the views from the front? :p

Archived