Infant rules

guk

We have recently booked a cruise on RCI independence, at the time of booking we were told by 3 seperate RCI advisors that our new baby due 17 sept will need to turn 6mths during the course of the cruise to be allowed to sail. However we have since been told by another RCI advisor that they would have to be 6mths on the date of sailing. The cruise is 25 march 2011 which would mean the baby can be 8 days late and we would still be allowed to sail, does anyone know how strict they are with this rule as on mboth my previous cruises on the independence 1 being transatlantic there were definately babies younger than the 6mth/ 12mth cut off? There is now also many other family members booked on this cruise also so would mean more of us loosing our deposits if we were to cancel this cruise.

From the Royal Caribbean website:

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).

INFANT POLICY

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacific, Hawaii, select South American cruises/cruisetours and other selected cruises/cruisetours, the infant (as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour) must be at least 12 months old.

As of April 22, 2008, the list of cruises to which the 12 month minimum age requirement applies (in addition to all Transatlantic, Transpacific, and Hawaii cruises) is as follows:

* Mariner of the Seas - January 4, 19, February 3, 2009;

* Splendour of the Seas - March 30, 2009;

* Legend of the Seas - October 23, 2009.

* Legend of the Seas - November 4, 2009.

Any cruisetours associated with these cruises are also subject to the 12 month minimum age requirement.

Denial of boarding for infants who do not satisfy these minimum age requirements may also result in the denial of boarding for one or more guests sailing with that infant. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from the cruise line to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or other accompanying guests.

Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to ask for proof of age. Royal Caribbean International's age policy for gambling and consumption of alcoholic beverages is as follows: Please note:An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for their cruise vacation. However, if a guest celebrates their 21st birthday during the cruise, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship's records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services with his or her parent or guardian and to present a government issued form of identification to establish that the guest's 21st birthday was celebrated during the cruise.

They're strict about the first day rule. We moved our December 09 family reunion for my parents' 40th anniversary because my niece was born on August 7 of last year. I found a cruise that left on February 6, but she would not have been allowed to come with us, so we rescheduled for December 2010 instead. A long delay, but worth it for us to have the whole family in on the reunion, and we got a cruise where my parents' 41st falls on a formal night.

So dissapointing when you get told the wrong info. Hate that! If you want to delay, they might work with you on crediting your deposits to a future cruise, although since the rules are posted clearly on their site, they may not be as flexible.

8 days after due date should be fine, assuming you think the due date is fairly accurate. If not, assuming there are no growth delays, your doc should be able to strip your membranes or something a day or two after your due date, which should help you go into labor. For us, we did acupuncture and my water broke naturally the next morning. Worked like a charm (although they believe it only works if your body is close to being ready on your own).

Thanks for all your replies, I am hoping the baby will arrive on time or within the 8 days as my 1st came on her due date and both last time and this time I am 100% certain of my dates. Will be keeping our fingers crossed unitl then, the babies younger than 12mths were seen on our nov transatlantic just gone :confused:

Tupelo is exactly right. The policy just changed within the last year maybe year and a half. I could probably do a thread search here and pinpoint the exact date of the policy change.

I remember when it happened. A baby onboard a RCI ship got sick and needed to be disembarked in Nassau. The whole family complained that their cruise was ruined. :rolleyes: They flew home to Miami and talked to the media about the evil Royal Caribbean who left them alone in Nassau. A few days later, Royal Caribbean and then Celebrity instituted the age minimum to 6 months for most sailings and 12 months for some more exotic itineraries and transatlantics.

The baby must be 6 months on the first day of sailing.

The babies you saw on your cruises who were UNDER 6 months were grandfathered into the rules. IF the child was already booked on a sailing before the policy went into effect, then the baby could be under 6 months after the policy went into effect. ;)

Archived