Sea Creatures!!! (SEA URCHINS especially)...in July

tsb702

Hey all!

As said above we are going on an Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten) trip in July. I'm reading alot about the islands trying to get educated etc... I am starting to get a little concerned about sea creatures LOL! Primarily sea urchins. I have searched the threads and here and there you will see someone mention occasionally that they have stepped on one or warning to wear water shoes.

I would like to know, if sea urchins are everywhere in the water, or do they stick to a certain area primarily, like coral etc... Are they right in the shallow part of the beach, where you enter? Can you see them if you are looking where you walk?

This also might sound like a silly question but, should I also be on the lookout for stingrays in any of these places. I don't want to accidentally step on any of these things and get injured!

Do most of you wear the water shoes?

Any advice and tips would be HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks so much!

Sea urchins mainly stick to coral beds, and they are very easy to see and avoid. You should not be stepping on coral anyway. Rays do like to lay on the sandy bottom and you need to be careful for them. Wearing water shoes is a good idea, and you should shuffle your feet a bit if you are walking in the water along the shore. Since you will be there in the summer, you may have a problem with jelly fish. Ususally they will post signs at the beaches if there is a jelly fish problem. As a side note, if you do get stung, vinegar will help take some of the sting out.

Sea urchins mainly stick to coral beds, and they are very easy to see and avoid. You should not be stepping on coral anyway. Rays do like to lay on the sandy bottom and you need to be careful for them. Wearing water shoes is a good idea, and you should shuffle your feet a bit if you are walking in the water along the shore. Since you will be there in the summer, you may have a problem with jelly fish. Ususally they will post signs at the beaches if there is a jelly fish problem. As a side note, if you do get stung, vinegar will help take some of the sting out.

I hate Sea urchins:mad:

Archived