Cruises to Mexico / Violence in Mexico

I am beginning to get concerned about the upcoming mx cruise. It's a beautiful area, but with the rising violence, I am not very sure anymore about this. I am sorta wishing RC would give us the option to opt out and book another cruise the same price at a different date and area.

I, too, was concerned about what I have heard about Mexico and cruising there. I NEVER felt unsafe in any of the ports, even Mazatlan.

How many of you have ever come to Arizona? You may be shocked to hear that Phoenix is the "Kindapping Capitol of the US". Yes, it is true. I live here and most people I know don't even know that. I guess though, that it isn't shocking since we are the state that passed the new gun (non)laws and Immigration laws ;) We are the wild west, dontcha' know?! :eek:

I called RCL to ask about the Mexico trips being re-routed to the Pacific Northwest as they did with the swine flu. I would have definitely hopped on that bandwagon, but they told me they were not altering the Mexican trip. I've been on that one twice, and would really like a pacific northwest cruise on the Mariner!!!

Or Radiance class... I LOVED that Mariner cruise. My favorite, so far. And it's a quick drive to San Pedro.

How many of you have ever come to Arizona? You may be shocked to hear that Phoenix is the "Kindapping Capitol of the US". Yes, it is true. I live here and most people I know don't even know that. I guess though, that it isn't shocking since we are the state that passed the new gun (non)laws and Immigration laws ;) We are the wild west, dontcha' know?! :eek:

Yeah, thank God I can now legally be prepared to defend myself against the kidnappers (and wayward human smugglers - AKA "coyotes")

Ive been to Mexico before and im a woman who has traveled alone all over the world. Use common sence and dont go wondering off the beaten path.

Im going on a Mexican cruise October 31st 2010 and will be getting off the ship and taking some shore excursions that are offered by the cruiseline :)

Adri

I am also a single woman traveler,who was traveling with her adult son;our taxi scam happened on the main road in the middle of busy downtown.One thing I did notice,the taxi driver did not address me,only my son..women are 2nd class citizens in Mexico.I finally had to tell him to address me,that I was the one who had paid him.

I am also a single woman traveler,who was traveling with her adult son;our taxi scam happened on the main road in the middle of busy downtown.One thing I did notice,the taxi driver did not address me,only my son..women are 2nd class citizens in Mexico.I finally had to tell him to address me,that I was the one who had paid him.

Sadly that does happen in some parts of Mexico. I havent had that particular problem but ive heard from other woman who have had that issue.

I love Mexico and think its a wonderfull place but it has its problems like other places thats for sure,

Adri :)

I too have first hand knowledge of this area. A couple of years ago we spent a week in Puerta Vallarta. We decided to rent a car and leave the resort for a day. Now that was a mistake. We were stopped by two Mexican cops in full uniform. It cost us $150 US to get rid of them under threat of arrest (reason unknown). I call that stealing, thieving, robbery or whatever other name you want. They were a pair of hold up artists. By the way - their first questions was "how much money you got?"

Since then I refuse to go to Mexico. We have been on ships that stop in Cozumel and we will be on one next month. I will not get off the ship. I'll use it as a day of enjoying the pool etc by ourselves.

Having a badge in Mexico is a license to steal, and they've consistently regarded it as such for as long as I can remember. Growing up in Southern California we found ourselves crossing the border into Tijuana, Tecate, or Ensenada and our greatest fear was always a run-in with the cops, resulting in us losing our cash, or even a vehicle (I never took mine personally, but it happens).

It's their country, and they pretty much get to do what they want. I'm going next week on the Mariner, and I will not be walking off the ship with anything I cannot afford to be deprived of permanently. (Especially in Mazatlan and PV) So I won't take all of my cash, I'll take my AMEX card only, my Passport card for ID, one camera, and that's about it. I'll split my cash up between two or three pockets, and maybe put some in a sock or the lining of my hat. That way, if the local cops shake me down, I can low ball them. If they believe they are getting all the cash you have on hand, they will generally take it and go away. Sometimes you have to sell it a little. Their "jail" threat is usually an empty one, as 99 percent of the people they use it on immediately turn out their pockets for them.

You can employ a similar tactic for dealing with unscrupulous Taxi drivers. It's critical when you make a deal with them to negotiate a round trip price up front if applicable, or at least a total or "out the door" price. Impress upon them that you need to know because you don't have a lot of cash. If they think the well is dry, they'll either refuse to deal with you at all if the price is not right, or they will accept what you have and not try to "better deal" you when they have the advantage.

These are things that have worked for me in the past. They are largely dependent on your ability to be convincing or seem sincere. If you are a bad actor, they likely won't work, so don't try them.

Did something actually happen to bring on this uneasiness to travel to Mexico? Or is this an overall uneasiness? :confused:

I have been to Mexico several times and spent over a month there as a single, under 30 yr old female on a solo trip. After arming myself with some street sense and knowledge of the area, I never encountered anything I could not handle. I wouldn't personally drive in Mexico, but if I did I know that you always keep $20 in a special pocket to pay a "fine on the spot" and that filling up at the gas pump requires more diligence than I have patience for, lol.

The social setting is quite different, and my school instructors and host family did tell me of how I would be spoken to and what kind of situations to look out for (I went to school while there).

I'm always saddened to hear that some travelers have had trouble. Some of the situations could have been prevented had the travelers read a little more about the area's "traditions" so to speak, while others are just unfortunate circumstances. I think the ship tours are great for those not quite ready to venture out on their own or embrace the dealings and negotiating with the locals. There is something out there for all of us :)

I think the touristy type places, where the cruises tend to go, the crime is more likely scam type or rip off type, where as "real" Mexico is different.

All I know is that I go expecting it to be the customs and offerings of a total different country than my own, and then I am surprised by the similarities rather than disappointed by the differences, kwim.

We've been travelling to Baja and the Mexican Riviera for the past couple of years and have never felt unsafe. But we don't go off the beaten path and of course are only there in broad daylight. I'm a tad nervous about Acapulco for some reason - we felt just uneasy walking out of the port on our own (probably because we couldn't deal with the dozens of people wanting to show us their beautiful city). We've booked a tour this time, and assume that the driver & guide will know where not to go.

I would do the same thing in LA if I didn't know my way around the area. It's too easy to wander into a rough neighborhood before you know what you've done.

Well, I guess Bill and I are the minority of this thread

We are very young and active 51 year olds.....and we walk everywhere when we get to ports. I love to see how different things are and how people live. We are down to the MR 2 to 3 times a year...the last on a 10 nighter on the Radiance in December. Even in Aculpoco...we were walking around everywhere.....even though I heard how unsafe that is.

I agree about Cabo and PV....these are American/Canadian retirement cities so you always see more anglos then Mexicans sometimes.

Mazatlan....different....but we always walk to the Gold Zone....about 7 to 10 miles depending which route we go. A couple of Months ago we walked to the Pacifico Brewery and right thru neighborhoods that surround it.....WOW WOW WOW.....so interesting and we got some of the best pictures you would ever see.....but you have to expirence it in Person...No, it is not for all, but for us it is part of our exercise so we can eat and drink without the worry about the extra LBS...

We are heading back down there in 2 weeks so if you do not see me on CC.....Send the Highway Patrol, the Natioal Guard, The Mounties and the Swiss Guard to look for us.....I hope it won't be under a table and Senor Frogs.......It is Bill's B-day when we are in Mazatlan you know! :)

Mike

We had a little trepidation going on our MX cruise on the Mariner last month but once we got there, we forgot about all the overblown newspaper articles and just kept our common sense and had a wonderful time. At no point in time did I even remotely feel scared during our port days. No we did not wander off alone (stuck to ship tours) but it's not like people were dying/getting shot/getting mugged right and left.

The Acupulco violence is concerning (although the Mariner does not stop there) but even so, the odds of you being the one getting hurt are extremely small. There is no reason to live in fear. Heck, we have more violence in downtown Los Angeles in one weekend then an entire year in some places like PV or Cabo!

We had a wonderful cruise and plan on going back in November for Thanksgiving break!

By the way, the Mariner bomb threat in January was a hoax.

Katherine

Having a badge in Mexico is a license to steal, and they've consistently regarded it as such for as long as I can remember. Growing up in Southern California we found ourselves crossing the border into Tijuana, Tecate, or Ensenada and our greatest fear was always a run-in with the cops, resulting in us losing our cash, or even a vehicle (I never took mine personally, but it happens).

It's their country, and they pretty much get to do what they want. I'm going next week on the Mariner, and I will not be walking off the ship with anything I cannot afford to be deprived of permanently. (Especially in Mazatlan and PV) So I won't take all of my cash, I'll take my AMEX card only, my Passport card for ID, one camera, and that's about it. I'll split my cash up between two or three pockets, and maybe put some in a sock or the lining of my hat. That way, if the local cops shake me down, I can low ball them. If they believe they are getting all the cash you have on hand, they will generally take it and go away. Sometimes you have to sell it a little. Their "jail" threat is usually an empty one, as 99 percent of the people they use it on immediately turn out their pockets for them.

You can employ a similar tactic for dealing with unscrupulous Taxi drivers. It's critical when you make a deal with them to negotiate a round trip price up front if applicable, or at least a total or "out the door" price. Impress upon them that you need to know because you don't have a lot of cash. If they think the well is dry, they'll either refuse to deal with you at all if the price is not right, or they will accept what you have and not try to "better deal" you when they have the advantage.

These are things that have worked for me in the past. They are largely dependent on your ability to be convincing or seem sincere. If you are a bad actor, they likely won't work, so don't try them.

Your comments are well founded .We have cruised to Mexico at least 15 times . Recently (last 5-6 years) we have witnessed a progressive bad environment with more police holding up tourists with threats of jail ,kidnappings & general drug cartel viloence. Will it stop us from sailing to Mexico --No ;but ,we rearely get off the ship any longer ;except on a larger group tour .

Your comments are well founded .We have cruised to Mexico at least 15 times . Recently (last 5-6 years) we have witnessed a progressive bad environment with more police holding up tourists with threats of jail ,kidnappings & general drug cartel viloence. Will it stop us from sailing to Mexico --No ;but ,we rearely get off the ship any longer ;except on a larger group tour .

police holding up tourists? OMG I am really getting worried from what I am hearing here. Are the ship's excursions safe, are the companies one that the cruise line approves of? I guess the best thing to do is get off the ship and assess the situation.

police holding up tourists? OMG I am really getting worried from what I am hearing here. Are the ship's excursions safe, are the companies one that the cruise line approves of? I guess the best thing to do is get off the ship and assess the situation.

I have travelled the world, and the most uncomfortable i have been was in Orlando Florida.Thats right the good old USA.Panhandlers,pushy touts,rough neighbourhoods.When last in Orlando,January 2010 ,a meth lab exploded in a motel across the street from the restuarant we were in.

Not far from where i live (Toronto) they have 4 to 6 shootings a week,this in a safe city.

My point is ,stuff happens and a lot of what I hear is based ,it seems ,on thinly veiled racism and fear of different people and their language.

Never in 30 years of travel have I experienced anything more than kindness and courtesy from all i have come into contact with.

Mexico is one of my favourite places as are Bangkok,Jamaica,San Francisco,and Chicago.

Fear mongering does no good.Use common sense and treat people well,you will be surprised how safe the world is.

I have travelled the world, and the most uncomfortable i have been was in Orlando Florida.Thats right the good old USA.Panhandlers,pushy touts,rough neighbourhoods.When last in Orlando,January 2010 ,a meth lab exploded in a motel across the street from the restuarant we were in.

Not far from where i live (Toronto) they have 4 to 6 shootings a week,this in a safe city.

My point is ,stuff happens and a lot of what I hear is based ,it seems ,on thinly veiled racism and fear of different people and their language.

Never in 30 years of travel have I experienced anything more than kindness and courtesy from all i have come into contact with.

Mexico is one of my favourite places as are Bangkok,Jamaica,San Francisco,and Chicago.

Fear mongering does no good.Use common sense and treat people well,you will be surprised how safe the world is.

You're correct about large cities. There is danger there. However, I don't think I read anything anywhere in this thread that would make me believe that people are basing their perceptions on whether they should disembark in Mexico, or how far to stray from the boat upon racism, and frankly, I think the assertion is unfair- to say the very least.

Mexico is an entirely different culture, and for someone who grew up in the United States, or Canada, those differences can be vast. In my post, I detailed how many of the local police officers cannot be relied upon to be the bastions of trust and integrity that their counterparts in the US and Canada are. Here, you teach your children to find a Police Officer if they become lost, there you teach your kid to get lost if they see a Police Officer. There are armed paramilitary gangs roving the streets of some Mexican border cities looking to make trouble for their opposition, even if that opposition is the Policia Federal or the Mexican Army.

These things ARE happening inside Mexico. Unfortunately, they are a negative outgrowth of the culture of the country. Some people expressed some concerns about what is happening in Mexico, and myself and some others related personal experiences about some of the pitfalls a traveller can encounter. It should be noted that all of the concerned parties in the conversation WANT to travel to Mexico and presumably experience the place, it's people, and culture in spite of the risks. I don't think that is the hallmark of people who are "racist", but instead have a desire to be cautious, and who could be faulted for that?

"Fear mongering" IS counter productive, of course. But I don't think we saw any of that here. At the same time, I don't think anyone, even yourself, would advocate walking down the gangplank with blinders on and walking through an unfamiliar city in a foreign country without at least preparing yourself in advance with a minimal level of understanding of local custom, culture, and basic do's and don'ts. In short, "Stuff happens", but that doesn't mean you have to LET it happen to you.

The excursions organized by the cruise lines are often the safest bets, economically and otherwise. As arrival schedules are not set in stone (Ships are late, etc) excursions booked through the cruise line tend to wait up for the ship to arrive, making certain you make your activity. Also, the cruise lines tend to deal with some of the larger, more established companies on shore who have few "local problems". In my research for my upcoming trip, the "savings" between booking through the cruise line versus freelancing was often not nearly enough to justify giving up the peace of mind of being sure to make my excursion if the ship was late, or being sure I was dealing with a reputable outfit.

I seriously doubt the Mexican cops would shake down a bunch of tourists with some organized excursion. I think the poster was referring to having rented a car and doing things on their own, which is a whole different ball game down there.

You're correct about large cities. There is danger there. However, I don't think I read anything anywhere in this thread that would make me believe that people are basing their perceptions on whether they should disembark in Mexico, or how far to stray from the boat upon racism, and frankly, I think the assertion is unfair- to say the very least.

Mexico is an entirely different culture, and for someone who grew up in the United States, or Canada, those differences can be vast. In my post, I detailed how many of the local police officers cannot be relied upon to be the bastions of trust and integrity that their counterparts in the US and Canada are. Here, you teach your children to find a Police Officer if they become lost, there you teach your kid to get lost if they see a Police Officer. There are armed paramilitary gangs roving the streets of some Mexican border cities looking to make trouble for their opposition, even if that opposition is the Policia Federal or the Mexican Army.

These things ARE happening inside Mexico. Unfortunately, they are a negative outgrowth of the culture of the country. Some people expressed some concerns about what is happening in Mexico, and myself and some others related personal experiences about some of the pitfalls a traveller can encounter. It should be noted that all of the concerned parties in the conversation WANT to travel to Mexico and presumably experience the place, it's people, and culture in spite of the risks. I don't think that is the hallmark of people who are "racist", but instead have a desire to be cautious, and who could be faulted for that?

"Fear mongering" IS counter productive, of course. But I don't think we saw any of that here. At the same time, I don't think anyone, even yourself, would advocate walking down the gangplank with blinders on and walking through an unfamiliar city in a foreign country without at least preparing yourself in advance with a minimal level of understanding of local custom, culture, and basic do's and don'ts. In short, "Stuff happens", but that doesn't mean you have to LET it happen to you.

One of the best thought out posts in years...........kudo's to you. Behind all the emotion, common sense is still one of the best lessons of life.

I have been to Mexico 71 times. I am alone now, but

my husband and I were never afraid. Of course you have

to use common sense too. We hired the same driver in

Mazatlan and in PV for all those years.

OK now that I am alone, I do not go off by myself. That

is asking for danger cause I would be a good mark.

If I have someone to go off the ship with, though, I would

not hesitate.

By the way, I dont go out by myself at night in Long Beach

either. Way more violence here than in Mexico.

RCCL is pulling the Mariner of the Seas from West Coast. It will be going to Galveston. Voyager will be going to New Orleans.

I don't think that it has been said anywhere, by anyone that there is a corrolation between the repositioning of the Mariner and what is going on in Mexico.

I have been to Mexico 71 times. I am alone now, but

my husband and I were never afraid. Of course you have

to use common sense too. We hired the same driver in

Mazatlan and in PV for all those years.

OK now that I am alone, I do not go off by myself. That

is asking for danger cause I would be a good mark.

If I have someone to go off the ship with, though, I would

not hesitate.

By the way, I dont go out by myself at night in Long Beach

either. Way more violence here than in Mexico.

Awww...come on! You know you could outrun almost anybody in that cute red scooter of yours! ;)

How was your last voyage? As good as always? Upgrade?

I don't think that it has been said anywhere, by anyone that there is a corrolation between the repositioning of the Mariner and what is going on in Mexico.

No because they would never dare admit that given the public relations nightmare that would ensue. But I am sure that had something to do with it (although I am also sure that the all mighty bottom line was the driving force in the end).

Katherine

No because they would never dare admit that given the public relations nightmare that would ensue. But I am sure that had something to do with it (although I am also sure that the all mighty bottom line was the driving force in the end).

Katherine

No, I honestly just think it was the money. I think if something had happened on the Mexican Riviera that had scared RCI's board into moving it's ship out of the market, then some of the other lines might/would have followed suit. There's a fairly hot thread going at the moment about the Mariner's repositioning, and while theres a lot of competing theories floating around about the how and why of it all, most folks are in agreement that at the end of the day, it always came down to money. They set plans in motion to move a ship of unprecedented size to the market, and then the market in question hit the skids, with no real relief in sight. In fact, with the local governments looking to tax themselves out of trouble, the prognosis is getting worse. The Port of Los Angeles raised their docking fees by some undisclosed amount, and the City of Los Angeles is raising any tourism-related tax or fee they can find to try to squeeze some extra money to cover their failures.

I think all of this added up to Royal Caribbean seeing a dismal future and a less than full, oversized cruise ship that could make more money somewhere else.

Archived