Princess or NCL

Cruising Mum

I am new here to Cruise Critic and I need som help. I am trying to decide which Cruiseline to take. We have done Carnival & Disney and found them OK. My brother loves Princess and my best friend loves NCL. Can someone help me with Suite perks of the two. Private Islands & if Princess has anytime dining for 2. My husband is not very socialble and doesn't like sitting with people we don't know. A table for 2 would be great. He also hates having a fixed time to eat. Remember I'm new here so I don't know how mant times this has been asked. Please bare with me. Thanks

If you want a suite that outdoes all other, then it is the new suites at NCL. THey have their own pool, restaurant, bar, it is like a ship on a ship. Also no FORMAL unless you want to be, then do it. Suites are boarded first, get free booze, breakfast & lunch at specialty restaurant Cagney's for free. Plus more.

I am new here to Cruise Critic and I need som help. I am trying to decide which Cruiseline to take. We have done Carnival & Disney and found them OK. My brother loves Princess and my best friend loves NCL. Can someone help me with Suite perks of the two. Private Islands & if Princess has anytime dining for 2. My husband is not very socialble and doesn't like sitting with people we don't know. A table for 2 would be great. He also hates having a fixed time to eat. Remember I'm new here so I don't know how mant times this has been asked. Please bare with me. Thanks

Princess suites are great. very comfortable. Breakfast in Sabitini's. Free internet, free mini bar set. dinner available from the dining room menus in the suite. walk in shower and Jacuzzi tub. fresh flowers. and much moe

if Princess has anytime dining for 2. My husband is not very socialble and doesn't like sitting with people we don't know. A table for 2 would be great. He also hates having a fixed time to eat.

Yes they have tables for 2 in Anytime Dining. You may have a short wait, but probably not, depending on the time you go.

I have done suites in both NCL (Pearl) and Princess (Island). IMO no comparison regarding suite amenities, NCL Pearl definitely has it over Island Princess.

However I prefer Princess in general over NCL. On NCL I felt constantly bombarded with various raffles, upsells, etc day in and day out. On Princess this was much less of a problem and in general a more upscale cruise experience.

Had a great time on both lines, however.

While I was researching my cruise I ventured over to the Princess, NCL, Celebrity and HAL websites. The only one that constantly calls me after I visit is NCL.

However, that being said Aft_Lover's post interested me. I am just wondering if it's all their ships and all their suites.

While I was researching my cruise I ventured over to the Princess, NCL, Celebrity and HAL websites. The only one that constantly calls me after I visit is NCL. However, that being said Aft_Lover's post interested me. I am just wondering if it's all their ships and all their suites.
AFT_LOVER was referring to the suites in the Courtyard on the Gem, Pearl, and I think the Jewel. The Courtyard is only accessible to those staying in the Garden Villas, Courtyard Suites and Owners Suites. It is basically its own ship experience within the ship. They have their own pool, hot tubs, sunbathing areas and butler. There are always snacks out in the Courtyard and you can also dine there. The Garden Villas get 6 bottles of booze and the Owners Suites get 3. I think the GV guests also get free soda in the Villa. The Courtyard Suites are not entitled to the free booze.The perks are great, but I would love to see them add free internet like has Princess has.Priority Embarkation / Disembarkation at all portsBreakfast and Lunch at Cagneys for free for all suite guestsVIP Party invites, and usually early entry into the Chocoholic Buffett and depending on the Concierge they will do Bridge toursPreferred seating for the showsChampagne in the Suite for SailawayLavazzo Coffee Machine for Coffee, Tea, Capuccino and EspressoBig Screen Flat Screen TVDVD Library that the Butler will get videos for youCordless phone to carry with you on the ship in case you want to call back to the Suite, or the Concierge, or the ButlerGorgeous PLUSH robes, not the waffle weave kind and slippers (you keep the slippers), but not the robeFlower ArrangementUpgraded Bath AmenitiesRoom Service served and cleaned up by the Butler with Linens and Flatware from any restaurant on the ship - If you order from any of the Specialty restaurants the surcharge still appliesThe Butler delivers snacks in the evenings - Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Salsa and Nachos, Trail Mix, Cheese Platters, and more that I can't remember.The list of perks is vast and I cannot begin to name all of what is included, but the above should give you an idea. I can't post pictures here, but if you want to email me I can send you some from when I stayed in an AE on the NCL Pearl in #8630. My email is Sparkylok6 @ aol.com

NCL's newest ship EPIC will allow all suites into the Courtyard area to use all the perks. Not sure if the Jewel + will allow it also. If I was paying the prices for the Ship in a Ship I would not want the regular suites coming to take up my room.

We had a spa balcony for December cruise that gives us 24/7 access to the spa to use the stone beds, thallostherapy pool, etc but the spa suite get Courtyard access. So we sold ours when our TA mentioned she had someone who wanted the spa balcony & was going to pay twice what we did so we sold it to her. So we got more money & she gets a great commission.

AFT_LOVER was referring to the suites in the Courtyard on the Gem, Pearl, and I think the Jewel. The Courtyard is only accessible to those staying in the Garden Villas, Courtyard Suites and Owners Suites. It is basically its own ship experience within the ship. They have their own pool, hot tubs, sunbathing areas and butler. There are always snacks out in the Courtyard and you can also dine there. The Garden Villas get 6 bottles of booze and the Owners Suites get 3. I think the GV guests also get free soda in the Villa. The Courtyard Suites are not entitled to the free booze.The perks are great, but I would love to see them add free internet like has Princess has.Priority Embarkation / Disembarkation at all portsBreakfast and Lunch at Cagneys for free for all suite guestsVIP Party invites, and usually early entry into the Chocoholic Buffett and depending on the Concierge they will do Bridge toursPreferred seating for the showsChampagne in the Suite for SailawayLavazzo Coffee Machine for Coffee, Tea, Capuccino and EspressoBig Screen Flat Screen TVDVD Library that the Butler will get videos for youCordless phone to carry with you on the ship in case you want to call back to the Suite, or the Concierge, or the ButlerGorgeous PLUSH robes, not the waffle weave kind and slippers (you keep the slippers), but not the robeFlower ArrangementUpgraded Bath AmenitiesRoom Service served and cleaned up by the Butler with Linens and Flatware from any restaurant on the ship - If you order from any of the Specialty restaurants the surcharge still appliesThe Butler delivers snacks in the evenings - Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Salsa and Nachos, Trail Mix, Cheese Platters, and more that I can't remember.The list of perks is vast and I cannot begin to name all of what is included, but the above should give you an idea. I can't post pictures here, but if you want to email me I can send you some from when I stayed in an AE on the NCL Pearl in #8630. My email is Sparkylok6 @ aol.com

NCL's newest ship EPIC will allow all suites into the Courtyard area to use all the perks. Not sure if the Jewel + will allow it also. If I was paying the prices for the Ship in a Ship I would not want the regular suites coming to take up my room.

We had a spa balcony for December cruise that gives us 24/7 access to the spa to use the stone beds, thallostherapy pool, etc but the spa suite get Courtyard access. So we sold ours when our TA mentioned she had someone who wanted the spa balcony & was going to pay twice what we did so we sold it to her. So we got more money & she gets a great commission.

The Courtyard suites on the Epic are a whole other story. At this time the Epic does not really appeal to me. I like the idea of some of the shows and it does have amenities available that are definately different, but that ship is way too big to have a desire to sail on it right now. Maybe I will change my mind over time.How do you sell a cabin that all that has been required of you is a deposit? Not only that if you do name changes on the cabin one of the original occupants names has to stay the same. I have never heard of this.

Wow..thanks for the explanation Karen. I am going to look into NCL for a future cruise just to try that out.

I am looking forward to my Princess cruise in May..even though we're in an oceanview cabin. I've always wanted to try out Princess.

I'm old enough to have seen all of the Love Boat shows.

We absolutely love Princess Cays. Beautiful setting, and if you decide on renting a bungalow, this is the private island to do it on. I'd always wanted to visit Great Stirrup Cays. Spent about 5 minutes there, then went back to the ship. There is NO comparison!

Lene

Archived