Cunard first timer - QM2 Princess Grill Questions

Stu UK

I have just booked a P1 grade cabin on QM2. Could anyone help with the following questions:-

- Is there an a la carte menu presented to you each day in addition to the daily menu or do you have to ask for it

- Do they offer and publicise the option of being able to order meals not on the menu or is is this only queen's grill

- are there any other Princess Grill perks in addition to queue jumping at embarkation.

Any info would be appreciated.

stu uk

you will not receive an alacarte menu in addition to the daily menu in the princess grill, however you can order anything you want off the menu. usually its best to talk to the maitred at lunch about what youd like for dinner, and at dinner for what youd like for lunch the next day. they are very happy to provide whatever they can and to please you. i did two transatlantic crossings in october and november and could not have been happier with both the food and the service. previously i had only travelled in queens grill on QE2 and this was just as good if not better. i would advise a gratuity up front to the maitred. it works wonders.

as for other perks you will have access to the queens grill lounge which is especially nice at tea time so you wont have to compete with 2000 people trying to have tea in the queens room. also theres the concierge lounge on deck 9 in case you have any problems or questions. enjoy!!!

We just got off the QM2 Saturday and were in a P1 cabin. wripro answered the menu questions. If you give them a heads up ahead of time, they will try to give you what you want. The only thing we had every night that was not on the menu was caviar for Judy. They always brought it as her first appetizer. We did not tip up front and could not have had better service from anyone. All we had to do was ask for something and it appeared. We did give them all something extra the last night as they deserved it.

There was always something on the menu we wanted, so we never had to order anything else. Our wait staff gave us copies of the dinner menus. I'll scan them in in the next few days.

As we were one of the first in line to board (we drove over and checked in about 1130 as one of the first 50 or so) so we just used the regular checkin. Don't know if there was a special checkin for Princess or Queens Grill pax.

Disembarkation was very quick and easy. Deck 10 (Princess Grill deck) waited in the Chart Room and we were called at 0845. Got thru immigration, found our luggage, thru customs and were pulling out of the garage at 0915.

Will post a review in the next couple days along with pictures on webshots.

jane,

i dont know what a gratuity will get you but i knew i was going to give one at the end so i thought why not give half up front? what did it do for me? well, i wasnt happy with my table assignment on my first crossing. after i gave a gratuity i was changed to the best table for two in the grill, at the window in the center section (at least the best in my opinion.) im sure everyone gets great service but we were literally fawned over and the moment we sat down he was at our table asking what he could do for us. and not only that, on the return crossing we had the same great table. now, maybe its a personal thing but it works for me. its certainly not necessary.

We were on a 2 week Caribbean cruise on the QM2 in early December and in a P1 suite. We only used the Queen's Grill Lounge once, midway through the cruise, because we were unaware until then that Princess Grill passengers could use it. We went in one evening for cocktails before dinner and were very well treated. There were only a few other couples, in groups of 4 and 6 in there at the time. There was live music and hors d'oeuvres were served. Don't know how anyone would know if you were Princess Grill pax, Queen's Grill pax or just walk-ins from the Britannia group, unless when they rang up your drinks with your ship's card, there would be some indication. We could also have done High Tea in the Queen's Grill Lounge, had we known about it. I guess if you were regular QG or PG pax, all this was common knowledge but we only overheard someone saying we could use it anytime. The service, food and ambience in the Princess Grill was absolutely outstanding, and the service personnel in there from the maitre d' on down couldn't have been better. Their entire attitude from start to finish was to make your cruise the best ever, in all respects.It's a beautiful ship and it was a memorable cruise for us, celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. We are completely spoiled for any further cruising we do in the future.

thee is a sign at the door of the quuens grill lounge which states for grill passengers only. this of course includes princess grill. on my two crossing i used the lounge at least twice a day, for tea and for drinks before dinner. i found it to be a peaceful diversion from the hectic atmosphere in most of the other public rooms and one of the things that made the extra money more than worthwhile. the other was the extraordinary food and service in the princess grill as stated by previous posters.

Archived