Need help choosing a circular polarizing filter

JustUs275

I have been researching filters and have just about decided that a circular polarizing filter would be a nice accessory for my Canon Rebel xsi for our upcoming cruise. Here is what I'm looking at: NEW 55mm Hoya HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) Circular Polarizing Filter, for $49.95. I am a new(er), casual dslr user (most of my photos are of grandchildren, vacations, family, and my dog) so I don't need overkill, but I do like to make quality purchases even if it costs me a bit more. Thoughts about this filter or any other suggestions?

I have used several over the years and have found the Hoya Warm Circular Polarizer gives me a better "look". By combining a polarizer layer with a slight warming filter, it tends to shift the white balance a little to the red end, which gives the image a bit warmer look. It is especially good with foliage and earth tones.

http://www.adorama.com/HY55CPLW.html

My 2¢...

Dave

Dave - I found what *might* be the same filter for less...kind of nervous even though the store has 96% positive rating; does the W missing from the model number mean anything???

Hoya Moose - Filter - warm circular polarizer - 55 mm

Brand Name: Hoya

• Model: B55CIRPLGB :confused:
  • Item Package Quantity: 1
  • Device Type: Filter
  • Form Factor: Round
  • Photo Filter Effect Type: Warm circular polarizer
  • Item Display Diameter: 55 millimeters
  • Specific Uses For Product: Camera, Color film

Dave - I found what *might* be the same filter for less...kind of nervous even though the store has 96% positive rating; does the W missing from the model number mean anything???

Hoya Moose - Filter - warm circular polarizer - 55 mm

Brand Name: Hoya

• Model: B55CIRPLGB :confused:
  • Item Package Quantity: 1
  • Device Type: Filter
  • Form Factor: Round
  • Photo Filter Effect Type: Warm circular polarizer
  • Item Display Diameter: 55 millimeters
  • Specific Uses For Product: Camera, Color film

That's the one by description. The different model number may be Adorama's internal part number.

If the store was 47th street Photo via Amazon, I have purchased from them through with good results. If you are looking at Ebay, you're on your own. I have little experience and no faith in Ebay when it comes to purchasing electronics.

Yes, 47th St Photo via Amazon - thanks. I feel the same about Ebay...although I will say that I bought my used rebel from a guy in CA. Risky I now know, but I did it and 6 months later (and many many photos later!) I have had no problems with the camera or lenses. Knowing what I know now - I realize that I was just very lucky. ;)

Thanks for your help, Dave!

NEW 55mm Hoya HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) The HMC filters are VERY hard to clean. Save your money and get a non coated filter. You will never notice the difference with that camera. Really 55mm CP are cheap on ebay buy used, KEH.com is a good source for that.

framer

The HMC filters are VERY hard to clean.

I would have agreed if I was still using lens tissues, but since switching to microfiber lens cleaning cloths for maintenance, I have had no issues with getting coated lenses or filters clean. A quick brushing to remove dust, breathe some mouth-fog on it and polish away. If you have a particularly stubborn residue, Eclipse cleaning fluid (expensive at about $10/bottle, but at a drop per cleaning, it's nearly a lifetime supply) makes short work of it. I never use the soapy fluid that comes with the bubble-packed cleaning kits...I suspect it is tap water and a drop of some sort of bargain dish-washing soap! ;)

Dave

Dave, I no longer have any use for any 55mm filters that I have. If you want a 55mm Tiffen Cir. Polarizer I'll send it to you for free. It's really just taking up space and I won't throw it away but I'll never use it. email me your snail mail address to framer @ fastpictureframing . com. Please remove all spaces in my email if you want it to go through.

framer

Dave, I no longer have any use for any 55mm filters that I have. If you want a 55mm Tiffen Cir. Polarizer I'll send it to you for free. It's really just taking up space and I won't throw it away but I'll never use it. email me your snail mail address to framer @ fastpictureframing . com. Please remove all spaces in my email if you want it to go through.

framer

Wrong target my friend, the OP (JustUs275) is the one looking for the CPL! I do, however, thank you for the generous offer. Perhaps they will take you up on it.

Sadly, my filter needs run to the 77mm variety and a entirely different level of expense! *sigh*

Thanks again,

Dave

Archived