Cruise or all-inclusive??

I stayed at an all-inclusive resort more than ten years ago, in Cabo. It was nice, but expensive. The food was decent, and the service was about the same as I remember from the HAL cruise I took three months afterward. They had an Italian restaurant that was really good, but the rest of the food was decent. My main complaint with the all-inclusive is the same as it would be with a cruise that had no stops--you have only the activities available at that location/ship. You can leave the ship/resort, but you spend money on food you've already paid for, and many activities (like scuba) cost extra anyway. I liked the resort, but it's hit or miss on finding people to socialize with and I found myself sitting by the pool, laying on the beach, and being really lazy. On the cruise, I walked around a lot, and did more activities. This coming vacation, DW and I are going on a cruise because we want to relax, but still be active and see new places. Unless you really make an effort to leave the resort, all-inclusive just ends up feeling cramped to me.

The only tip I can think of is if you plan to go swimming in the ocean, bring water shoes. It's very rocky (coral) along the waterline once you enter the water, making it hard to enter and get out of. Once you are in a ways, it's sandy, with alot of good snorkleing areas. Enjoy! :)
Thanks ..... we are more pool folks than beach folks, but if we head for the beach we will make sure we put something on the ol' feet! :)

I stayed at an all-inclusive resort more than ten years ago, in Cabo. It was nice, but expensive. The food was decent, and the service was about the same as I remember from the HAL cruise I took three months afterward. They had an Italian restaurant that was really good, but the rest of the food was decent. My main complaint with the all-inclusive is the same as it would be with a cruise that had no stops--you have only the activities available at that location/ship. You can leave the ship/resort, but you spend money on food you've already paid for, and many activities (like scuba) cost extra anyway. I liked the resort, but it's hit or miss on finding people to socialize with and I found myself sitting by the pool, laying on the beach, and being really lazy. On the cruise, I walked around a lot, and did more activities. This coming vacation, DW and I are going on a cruise because we want to relax, but still be active and see new places. Unless you really make an effort to leave the resort, all-inclusive just ends up feeling cramped to me.

This is just what I was afraid of. We like to be active during the day also, and we really can't see ourselves in the sun for 6-7 days. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you for your responses. They really were informative and we will certainly think about all our choices for our next vacation.

Of course, after Oasis, anything else will probably pale in comparison!!:D

She is one magnificent ship!

Doreen

I have to warn you guys. I am for the most part, anti-cruise. I have definately fallen in love with RCCL after the best cruise I ever had on Adventure of the Seas last year.

I prefer to STAY somewhere and not have to rush around. This is why generally, I prefer AI to cruising.

I find PLENTY to do at AI resorts. They also have the SAME shore excusions as the ships that dock.

There is so much more you can do and see than you think at these destinations. You are REALLY staying there, and can go into town, for example.

By the way, I have been to Punta Cana more than once. This is one of the best AI locations! It is in a beautiful vibrant country full of culture! The problem with AI is usually the beach, AI locations have the dirtiest beaches, the small hard to get islands have the perfect beaches. Punta Cana is one of the few exceptions as well as some parts of Riviera Maya in Mexico.

In other words, Punta Cana is the best place for AI, if you are into beaches.

Someone recommended Iberostar! Definately go there! I have been to about 4 of them all over the caribbean. They are consistently rated top locations on tripadvisor.

It is like staying in a Spanish Royal Palace! And cheap!

Cruise Vs. AI? I now like both! But this is the deciding factor for me.

Have I ever been to that area of the world before?

I have been on caribbean cruises before, so I would always vote for AI in the caribbean.

On the other hand, I have never been to South East Asia, so I would do the Star Cruise Virgo in a heartbeat to get a lay of the land, before ever hitting a Thai AI.

I know some of you can do a Caribbean cruise every single year, and always love it, but that is exactly why I am posting.

You now have an opinion from an anti-cruise guy, but one who loves RCCL!

Archived