Mediterranea- First timer Costa questions

aclay

Hi

a friend and his wife are on a five day med cruise in May on the Mediterranea.

They are a bit confused by the dining arrangements and the costa webiste is not much help either.

Basically they want the first sitting, but this is fully booked with only a very late 2nd sitting available. They have been told by their travel agency that if they decide for 2nd seating now then this is set in cement and cannot be changed- is this true?

Also they are unsure if there are any other restaurant dining options other than traditional seating?

They are at a bit of a dead end in that if they dont get the 1st seating they will not want to go on this, their first ever cruise.

Any help from Costa veterans much appreciated.

thanks

I think it is kind of written in stone. They should go and try it because they may find out late seating is much better. We prefer it so we can relax a bit before dinner after being in port all day. If you have early seating you have to come in from the port early just to get ready for dinner. Of course trhis isn't an issue on sea days but I'm just saying they may end up really wanted the extra time.

Based on your advice they are swaying towards the later seating now, however they are still unsure of what other dining options there are on the Mediterranea.

For instance could they pick at some nibbles at some other open buffet a few hours prior to their 9pm seating or would they have to starve until 9pm?

Are there any other non-traditional dining options which they can just show up at and eat e.g. instead of their 9pm seating?

I think the pizza place is open almost all the time and there are buffets and things such as ice cream and fruit. If you go hungry anytime during a cruise ( I can't imagine one would) but you can order room service, sandwiches & salads 24/7 at no charge. I do usually tip the room service guy but you don't have to. I have never been on the Mediterranea but have been on her sister ship the Atlantica and if I remember right you can even order a box lunch to take with you at port stops.

Also they never have to actually go the thier regular seating at the main dining hall. They can eat the buffet also. We don't alway want to get dressed for dinner and just eat there and there are no time restrictions for that.

I too couldn't believe for one minute that anyone would go hungry on a cruise ship, but all of my five cruises experience have been on Princess and I have no idea how Costa compares. I think Costa cruises are missing out on attracting first timers by not making such information clear from the onset, I mean, without this clarification from you my friends would probably not be going ahead with the reservation.

Cheers

Alex

Archived