how to get from RCCL SanPedro to Lax?

kris4842

HI Everyone, trying to figure out the cheapest and easiest way to get to the airport after our cruise. We are coming off he MAriner on a sunday and going to lax, should we just do the rccl transfer or cab it or do this thing super shuttle which i have no idea about. thanks

On a related matter, any info on how long you wait for a shuttle? TA says never schedule a flight out before 11 am but is that cutting it close? Is a 11:05 am flight just asking for trouble and stress? Cabinmate flying back East but I live in Long Beach so will have own car in parking lot but wonder if there is a traffic jam getting out of the lot (like at the end of a game at the Rose Bowl)? Can book a later flight but then arrive close to midnight at JFK. Not the worst problem in the world but missing a flight can be very costly to re-book. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I took a shuttle after our cruise last July, it did not appear to be a traffic jam to get out of the parking lot at all. In fact, I didn't notice many private cars parked at the lot, most were RCCL bus, cab or shuttles. Traffic seemed to move very well for so cal standards :o

Lexi

I just came back from a cruise out of San Pedro We took the supper shuttle it was cheaper than a taxi

On a related matter, any info on how long you wait for a shuttle? TA says never schedule a flight out before 11 am but is that cutting it close? Is a 11:05 am flight just asking for trouble and stress? Cabinmate flying back East but I live in Long Beach so will have own car in parking lot but wonder if there is a traffic jam getting out of the lot (like at the end of a game at the Rose Bowl)? Can book a later flight but then arrive close to midnight at JFK. Not the worst problem in the world but missing a flight can be very costly to re-book. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

The most popular shuttle service is called Supershuttle. There's also Prime Time Shuttle, Coolrides, and several other companies that will pick you up and take you among the various places in LA, including the airports, hotels and the ports.

If your TA says it's okay to book a post-cruise flight out of LAX that's before 12:30pm, maybe you should look for another TA for your next cruise. The cruiselines all pretty much say 1pm is the recommended earliest flight. That's because if Murphy's Law rears its ugly head, you could be watching your flight leave while you're at the booking desk trying to get a replacement flight.

That's because:

1) your ship may not necessarily dock on time.

2) disembarkation may not necessarily start on time or become complicated due to full customs screening of crew members (or be delayed because some passengers don't pay attention to the many requests for them to show up at the front desk)

3) you can get caught in a traffic jam on the 405 due to an accident or road construction

4) and don't forget security lines

Hi guys

What is the cost of the shuttle service from San Pedro to LAX?

We have a flight at 10.30pm at night back to Australia. Can you suggest anything to fill our time in between? Where can we leave our luggage?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi guys

What is the cost of the shuttle service from San Pedro to LAX?

We have a flight at 10.30pm at night back to Australia. Can you suggest anything to fill our time in between? Where can we leave our luggage?

Thanks in advance :)

Your ship will likely have a tour of LA excursion, and they drop you at the airport after. Saves worrying about your luggage and fills a lot of the time. But it's usually only a 5 hour tour, so you'd still have the evening to fill.

One idea is taking a cab over to Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach (about 12km). They are near Carnival's docks, so they are used to hollding visitor's luggage. However being from Oz I don't know if it would offer that much for you.

Unfortunately the luggage storage at LAX was removed after 9/11. There is an offsite service www.laxluggagestorage.com who have been around for years but strangely I never see reviews on them either good or bad. You could leave your luggage with them and then take Big Blue Bus to nearby Santa Monica. (What you don't want to do is hang around LAX any longer than necessary). I know you will be in LA prior to the cruise so a transfer/tour may cover already familiar ground. Renting a car increases your options and luggage can be kept in the trunk.

There's a good thread on www.flyertalk.com about ways to kill time around LAX. Find the California forum then the LA sub-forum.

We really enjoyed the Aquarium of the Pacific. If you go there and have them take care of your luggage, you can (depending on their hours for when you're there) get your hands stamped for in and out entry. There's a free bus that goes around that area including Shoreline Village, which has some restaurants and little shops. You can also walk over by following the marina.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived