day of cruise

california7

We changed our flight to the cruise and are now flying into Miami the morning of our cruise at 5 am and need a hotel to stay at for five hours. We prefer one that has a shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to port of miami. We do not want to spend a lot of money but some of the hotels that we read about are dumps with bugs

help---any suggestions.

any other suggestions of what to do between 5 am and 11 am with luggage and jet lag

Go directly to the port and sleep on a bench or on the grass by the parking garages - lay out some stuff from your luggage for pillows / padding. I'm serious - you're going to lose several more hours sleep riding shuttles / cabs and checking in and out of a hotel. You'll be able to board the ship as early as possible this way, it will be quicker when they first open up for boarding, and you can then rest on board until they open your cabin at 12 to 1. Then you can nap until sailing at 5 and get a solid 4 hours in addition to your naps.

I sailed from Miami in December and stayed at the Miami Airport LaQuinta Inn and Suites. They have two shuttles that pick up at the Airport as well as take you to the port (FREE).

My room was clean and well maintained. The place is a bit older, I traveled alone and didn't feel a bit uncomfortable staying there. In fact, I would stay there again if sailing from Miami.

we did the same thing in Oct....flew in at 6am the morning of. We took a private car to the port of Miami. Once inside the port there is couches. We found one off in the corner and passed out for about 3 hours or so. No one bothered us at all. And we didnt need to waste the time or money on a hotel for a few hours.

we did the same thing in Oct....flew in at 6am the morning of. We took a private car to the port of Miami. Once inside the port there is couches. We found one off in the corner and passed out for about 3 hours or so. No one bothered us at all. And we didnt need to waste the time or money on a hotel for a few hours.

They let you inside the port building? Did you just keep your luggage with you then take it to the porters later?

Our flight gets in at 7:30 am (hate red eye flights but there are no other nonstop options/flights we can use miles on from our airport) and we'll need somewhere to go before we can get on the ship.

Thanks.

Take it from someone who has spent more years in Miami than I care to remember. Get off the plane and go to the port - skip the hotel. By the time you get off the plane, find your luggage at MIA, find transportation, and ride to the port, you'll be an hour or two shy of getting ready to check your luggage in and get in line to board. Nap at the port and save the money.

I'd not waste the hassle, energy, time or money trying to coordinate an exit from the airport, check in at a hotel, check out, transportation to the port. I'd go directly to the port and hang out there for the few hours you'll have.

Have a great cruise!

I agree with the other posters. Don't waste the time, effort, and energy with the hotels. If you don't like the idea of hanging out at the port for a few hours, head out to South Beach and take a nap on the beach out there. Then take a cab to the port. That's kind of what we did, as we arrived in Miami at around 7am the day of our cruise.

We have a good friend that stayed at the La Quinta Airport East prior to his cruise out of POM. He is a single dad and took his two children. He said the hotel was perfect for their needs. They have very resonable rates, especially with AAA or other qualifing discount. They have free airport shuttle that starts at 5 am and a shuttle to the port from the hotel later.

Free HS internet and free hot-breakfast buffet.

I am going against the popular vote of going directly to the port. I would catch the LaQuinta airport shuttle, go to the hotel and get their free hot breakfast, sleep a little, (set the alarm for sure) take a hot shower and feel somewhat rejuvinated to board your cruise. I would call the hotel and tell them what time you will be arriving so they are aware. Just book the most inexensive room, who cares about view? Check-out time is 12:00 noon. There would be nothing worse for me then taking the Red-eye flight and then feeling wiped-out for the entire day. A few hours sleep may not remedy everything but a hot breakfast, 3 hours sleep and a hot shower could sure help.

The LaQuinta East-airport ph# is 1-305-871-1777

Good luck to you and have a wonderful cruise. :)

Archived