Price of sea sickness injection onboard?

haggy09

Hi all

After getting such a great response yesterday to my question I just wondered if anyone could tell me the price of the injection the dr can give you onboard for sea sickness?

Thanks in advance

I know the office visit is $60, so I would imagine the cost of the injection added. Under $100?

Thanks for your reply, think I will use it as a last resort and try some other remedies first. Just wanted to get an idea on price.

Wouldn't it be quicker, cheaper and easier to just bring some Dramamine?

Yeah definately going to try other things first just wanted to get an idea of price as a last resort.

Wouldn't it be quicker, cheaper and easier to just bring some Dramamine?

With seasickness, an ounce of prevention is definitely worth a pound of cure. Seasickness is much easier to prevent then to get rid of once it has grabbed ahold of you. (and as you said, a much less expensive alternative). ;)

Hi all

After getting such a great response yesterday to my question I just wondered if anyone could tell me the price of the injection the dr can give you onboard for sea sickness?

Thanks in advance

I met a concert violinist on board the Pacific a few weeks ago who was so sea sick she thought she needed injections but in addition to the $60 doctor visit was a $250 charge for the shot and she could not afford it. She was working on the ship and got no discounts, which I though was weird because she had to perform and it was very rough seas. These injections are costly on the ship, come prepared to DIY!

Amelia

I met a concert violinist on board the Pacific a few weeks ago who was so sea sick she thought she needed injections but in addition to the $60 doctor visit was a $250 charge for the shot and she could not afford it. She was working on the ship and got no discounts, which I though was weird because she had to perform and it was very rough seas. These injections are costly on the ship, come prepared to DIY!

Amelia

Would Insurance cover this?:confused:

Amelia

Amelia, I think maybe she/you misunderstood. The seasickness injection is no where near $250. It is more like $20 for the shot plus the office visit. Unless maybe she was talking about getting a shot every week throughout the entire world cruise and that is what the total bill would be?:confused:

Amelia, I think maybe she/you misunderstood. The seasickness injection is no where near $250. It is more like $20 for the shot plus the office visit. Unless maybe she was talking about getting a shot every week throughout the entire world cruise and that is what the total bill would be?:confused:

No she clearly stated at the dinner table that there was a $250 dollar charge for this one time shot, she could not afford it and was upset that they did not offer any discounts to people who worked on the ship. She was only on from Los Angeles to Honolulu, not even one week, but it was the roughest weather we had on the whole segment. She actually had to take her shoes off to perform, it was so rough that she could not stand up and play in high heels. And she looked green!

I think the best thing to do here is for the OP to call Princess directly and ask them.

Amelia

Would Insurance cover this?:confused:

Well this person was a performer on the world cruise from London, she flew into Los Angeles and out of Honolulu and had a lot of problems with her luggage not making it. She was not covered by Princess as a regular employee, a guest performer is treated differently. I don't know if she had insurance or even how that works. But she did mention that if she complained, she felt might not work again! I heard this from a lot of performers...

Princess will not tell anyone what medical costs are unless you are receiving them onboard.

I wonder why??? Could be because if you knew the truth in advance, you would bring your own meds like I do!

I wonder why??? Could be because if you knew the truth in advance, you would bring your own meds like I do!

What truth? :confused:

Their charges are very reasonable.

Where would you get an injection for nausea to take on vacation with you?

And if you have insurance whats the worry?

Although on another cruiseline, I got very seasick a year or so ago and had to visit the Dr in the infirmary. If I remember correctly the entire bill was approx. US$167. That included two injections, the cost to call the Dr. in because she was off-duty at the time and a supply of prescription anti-nausea pills. IMO it was very reasonable. When I got home, I submitted all my invoices to my extended benefit carrier at work and was fully re-imbursed.

Although on another cruiseline, I got very seasick a year or so ago and had to visit the Dr in the infirmary. If I remember correctly the entire bill was approx. US$167. That included two injections, the cost to call the Dr. in because she was off-duty at the time and a supply of prescription anti-nausea pills. IMO it was very reasonable. When I got home, I submitted all my invoices to my extended benefit carrier at work and was fully re-imbursed.

Yes, off duty visits to the medical center do run about twice as high, maybe a bit more, than during regular hours. But I agree, if you are very ill, it is well worth every cent. ;)

As Toto said after hours is signifcantly higher so that sounds about right. ;)

I get terrible seasickness unless I wear the patch. I've tried everything else, except the shot...just can't go there. I function fine with the patch, applying it about 5 hrs prior to aboarding. The only time I had a problem was when my husband didn't put it on for me, and I got a piece of hair between the patch and skin. This was on a long cruise and it was the 4th day that you have to switch patches. Several hours later...I practically ran from the dinning room. So make sure nothing is between the patch and skin. I get motion sickness sometimes in cars, on swings etc. So basically what I am trying to say is get the patches..about 12.00 to fill the prescription.:)

Archived