Venice tipping and tour questions

lgmg

I am traveling to Venice in June and am trying to make the best use of time during my short two day stay prior to the cruise. I would like to know :

1. How long does it take to go through the The Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries tour?

2. How long does it take to go through St. Mark's Basilica?

3. Do you tip for the Vaporetto, Alilaguna, or water taxi? If so how much?

4. Is it worth purchasing in advance Vaporetto 36 hr. pass or can you mostly walk everywhere?

5. What is the tipping etiquette in restaurants?

6. Approximately how long does it take to walk from the Rialto Bridge to Piazza San Marco?

I appreciate any help with these questions and any other helpful information regarding Venice. Thanks.

I am traveling to Venice in June and am trying to make the best use of time during my short two day stay prior to the cruise. I would like to know :

1. How long does it take to go through the The Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries tour

IT took us about 2.5 to 3 hours on a self guided tour of Doge's Palace and be sure to take in the Bridge of Sighs. Most everything is in English and they give you tour guides (written) in English and the self tour is quite easy. We loved history so we stopped to see alot and take it all in.

2. How long does it take to go through St. Mark's Basilica?

We were in Venice during St.Mark's Festival so the line was down the block so we skipped but I would imagine about an hour.

3. Do you tip for the Vaporetto, Alilaguna, or water taxi? If so how much?

I tipped about 15 euro for three of us and our baggage. Our driver was outstanding and took us up and down alot of the canals as well as the Grand Canal and we had a wonderful tour of Venice from the taxi.

4. Is it worth purchasing in advance Vaporetto 36 hr. pass or can you mostly walk everywhere?

You can walk everywhere and it is fun to get lost in the alleys but signs will get you back to the bridge or square. We just wandered on our own.

5. What is the tipping etiquette in restaurants?

On many menus the tip is included and it usually says somewhere on the menu. It is customary to add a couple of Euros as an appreciation tip. A lot of resturaunts love Americans because we tip on the total not knowing the tip was included. I must admit to this the first time in Europe.

6. Approximately how long does it take to walk from the Rialto Bridge to Piazza San Marco?

It is about a half mile but you miander up and down the canals and alleys so who can be in a hurry. Venice is one of the worlds great cities and must be savored and not rushed. It really is a city set up to walk and stroll and enjoy.We felt the Venicians were really friendly and helpful.The hotel will give you a street guide and it is very helpful.

Wishing we could return with you but we plan to return in the next couple of years. Wishing you a wonderful cruise and time in Venice.:)

The Splendour is a wonderful ship if you are sailing her.

I cannot add a lot to Joe's comments, however, I think his response to Number 3 was in reference to the water taxis [which are extremely expensive]. The Vaporetto is like a city bus or street car except it is on water, so no, you don't need to tip. You may not even have access to the driver if you wanted to.

As to Number 4, I agree that most everywhere in the old city is accessible on foot. If the weather is nice, walking is a great way to get around and nothing is too far. And there is always something you want to walk down a side street or alley to see. However, the Vaporetto can also get you to some of the nearby islands that you might not otherwise get to visit. I don't think I would buy the 36 hour pass in advance for a couple of reasons (1) you might decide everything you want to see on one or the other days is within walking distance and not need that long of a pass, and (2) you might show up [as we did] on a day the drivers are on strike and not be able to use your pass at all.

As an aside, If you are interested in Venetian history, the the Italian naval museum is only two bridges or so east of St. Mark's Square. They have a lot of naval and maritime history exhibits that will help you understand the significant role Venice has played in Western history. They also have a replica of the elaborate barge the Doge used for ceremonial travel and parades. It is an extremely interesting stop and not very often mentioned in tourist literature. You may not like that sort of thing, but I absolutely do.

Venice is pretty much our favorite of the cities we have visited while cruising. We enjoyed seeing the sights and found the people to be wonderful. The sail away from Venice is breathtaking.

I can also echo Joe's comments about Splendour -- we had a great cruise aboard her in 2007.

Archived