"Splash Zone", Itinerary, play areas, etc questions

lilylight

Hi,

I am looking into either taking a cruise on Carnival Legend 7nights to Western Caribbean (cozumel, roatan, belize city, and grand cayman) or Carnival Fascination 5nights to Bahamas (Nassau & HMC) and I have a couple of questions.

On the write ups I've read on the renovations done to the Fascination that were recently completed it says that they added a Splash Zone. Does anyone know if this is an area for toddlers? Was hoping it was an area where babies in swim diapers can use just to get wet since I know my 19mth old will not be able to go in the pools. What exactly is the Splash Zone? Does anyone have any pics?

I'm also interested in hearing peoples opinions on which cruise might be better for us. It would be myself, my husband and our 19mth old son (not potty trained) and my mother and my two younger sisters (ages 10 and 14). We are hoping to just hit the beaches at ports not really doing many excursions b/c I dont think the baby would be up to it. I'm guessing the 5night cruise with less stops might be easier with toddler but I'm looking for opinions.

I'm also wondering if I would be able to utilize the play areas on the ship with my 19mth old or if those areas are restricted to only those kids ages 2+ who are enrolled in camp carnival.

My last question is that we're deciding between either a balcony or ocean view. Price is somewhat of a factor so I'm wondering if either of these ships have an oceanview room that is connected to a balcony room so that while the baby naps we have the balcony to relax on but so that we dont have to pay for 2 balcony rooms.

Any and all advice is welcome. Any ideas on which ship might be more fun for my 2 sisters (ages 10 and 14) or are the kids facilities pretty much the same on all of the carnival ships. Thanks and sorry for all of the questions we're just trying to gather as much info as possible since we are looking to go over April vacation.

btw, My husband and I have been on a cruise back in 2001 on the Fascination so we have somewhat of an idea what to expect but we've never cruised with kids.

The Carnival Legend (and none of the

Carnival ships) does not have an area where non potty trained and swim diaper clad children can play in the water or pools. Per the CDC regulations that Carnival and all other cruise lines follow, swim diapers and non potty trained children are not allowed in the pool. water parks, splash zones etc. The only ships that have special areas for those non potty trained and those in swim diapers are the Freedom, Independence, Liberty, Oasis and the future Allure of the Seas and the Disney Wonder and Magic (and possibly the Carnival Dream....though I am not sure about that ship.)

Some ships have balcony cabins that are connected to an inside cabin, but I am not sure if the Legend is one of those ships.

Sorry, no diapers even in the splash zone. It's the same on all Canival ships. There will be kids in there with diapers, but it's not safe and it is against the rules. It would be a nice place for small kids, but I never liked the fact that the rails around that deck are easy to climb on. It scares me.

Camp Carnival is open for 'under 2' time from 12pm-2pm OR 1pm-3pm on sea days. During this time they may let you play with your child, or you may drop off your child for babysitting. They are also open for 'under 2's ' on port days until noon and every night from 10pm-3am. If you drop off your 'under 2' you need to pay the $6 per hour babysitting fee. For ages 2 and up they only charge after 10pm. Camp Carnival goes to age 11, after that they have Circle C and Club O2 for the older kids.

Thanks for the info Jam82 and SailingLisa.

Yes, Jam, I thought the same thing about the rails when I saw the pictures above. My first thought was that my son would make a mad dash for those rails the minute we got up there.

As for the under 2's at Camp Carnival area I'm not looking to drop him off since he doesn't take too kindly to anyone watching him but myself, my husband or my mother, was more looking to see if there was a play area that I could play with him in that is geared for kids.

I think the only time you can play with him in Camp Carnival is the 12pm-2pm time. The disco is usually empty during the day. I have taken my son there to run around and play. It was kind of dark, but he loved looking at the mirrors and reflections. It's not exactly geared for kids, but it was a good place for him to burn some energy.

Archived