Wifi onboard? how much?

$55 for 148 minutes...ends up being somewhere around 0.38 per minute that way - If you change your settings to sign on, download, then disconnect - read your messages offline, compose replies, then re-connect - The service is slow, not as slow as dial up, but no where NEAR broadband speed - quickest in the am and late at night..

The internet service onboard is painfully slow and expensive.

I usually bring my small netbook and take it in to port. Have yet to find a bar in port that did not offer free wifi. Sometimes I get lucky and can get a good signal from my balcony.

The problem is that you pay per minute and the connection is so slow you'll eat them all up before you've loaded your email. It's a complete rip-off, at least on Carnival ships. Note: I am assuming they use similar slow technology on all cruise ships, this may not be the case.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com has all the info and pricing ;)

It is slow. If you're thinking about surfing the web for an hour or 2, forget it, unless your employer is willing to foot the bill.

The cheapest package is $55 for 150 minutes or ~$0.37 per minute. Sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes just to sign on to your e-mail account.

If your e-mail is important to you, then just sign on, download, sign-off, read and reply off line, sign back on, upload, sign off. You may be able to squeeze a weeks worth of daily e-mail checks that way.

The other way is to wait until you're in the port and take your netbook or laptop into a local cafe or bar or internet place. It will be either free or a small charge of $2-3 per hour and high speed access.

I know you can buy Wi-Fi packages - like 1 hour blocks. Do you have to use the 60 minutes at one time? Or can I use 20 minutes a day for three days?

Also, does anybody know if their workstations have any software on them - like MS Word 2007?

The package you purchase lasts for as long as the minutes in it. When you log off the leftover minutes will be displayed on the logout screen and are available for the next session.

I don't recall what software was available on the ships PCs as other than logging in initially I always used either our laptop or NetBook

Also, does anybody know if their workstations have any software on them - like MS Word 2007?

Definitely no software like word processing programs. They give you access to the internet and that's it.

Archived