Taxis at Port in Barcelona???

cruzy-sue

We will disembark in Barcelona on May 9 and will need an early taxi - 8:00 a.m.-ish Are there taxis readily avilable to go to the airport there at that time?

There are tons of taxis waiting starting much earlier than that. As it gets later, the wait in line gets longer. We left at about 9 and waited 20 minutes for a cab (there were plenty of them there - it was a matter of waiting our turn in line to load up and go). But those who left at 7:00 didn't have a wait.

Best,

Mia

We have a 10:40 AM flight on May 29th. What time do we need to grab a cab, or should we not take a chance and buy the transfer from Princess? Anyone have an idea of cab fare vs. transfer fare?

As you did not indicate when your ship docks, we can't say if you can make a 10:40 flight. However, don't consider a ship transfer. They use coaches, and you will spend valuable time sitting there waiting for the bus to fill up!

The cab fare from the cruise dock to the airport was around $30 - $35 a few years ago.

As you did not indicate when your ship docks, we can't say if you can make a 10:40 flight. However, don't consider a ship transfer. They use coaches, and you will spend valuable time sitting there waiting for the bus to fill up!

The cab fare from the cruise dock to the airport was around $30 - $35 a few years ago.

Doesn't really matter when the ship docks; only matters what time they let you off. I know the cruise line will get me to the airport on time, even if they make me get off at 6:00 AM. I just don't want to get caught with too many euros, since after 6 weeks it will be time to go back to US dollars. If a taxi will take US$$$ or a credit card, then a taxi it will be.

• 3 weeks later...
Doesn't really matter when the ship docks; only matters what time they let you off. I know the cruise line will get me to the airport on time, even if they make me get off at 6:00 AM.

I have no experience with Princess (hopefully others on here that do can weigh in) but on other lines, transfers were as already described above - - a large motorcoach that makes ONE trip to the AP when the bus is either full or all the passengers expected are onboard. My feeling is that they'd only guarantee you make a flight if your flight falls in hours based on their recommendation (no flights prior to . . . ).

Last cruise (not Princess) I boarded a transfer bus at 10:45 am with two couples having a meltdown. They did express early walk off at 8am to make a noon flight (recommendaton - no flights prior to 3pm). They'd been sitting on the bus for almost 3 hours waiting for the rest of us to board. They made such a scene that at 11:10 the bus left leaving behind two people unaccounted for. Ironically, we were told those two we left behind would be put on one of the many waiting cabs to the AP. The cruiseline had the recommendation for no flights earlier than 3 and they chose to ignore that so does the cruiseline really HAVE to make sure they made their flights if they chose to do ignore that? I doubt it.

Doesn't really matter when the ship docks; only matters what time they let you off. I know the cruise line will get me to the airport on time, even if they make me get off at 6:00 AM.

I have no experience with Princess (hopefully others on here that do can weigh in) but on other lines, transfers were as already described above - - a large motorcoach that makes ONE trip to the AP when the bus is either full or all the passengers expected are onboard. My feeling is that they'd only guarantee you make a flight if your flight falls in hours based on their recommendation (no flights prior to . . . ).

Last cruise (not Princess) I boarded a transfer bus at 10:45 am with two couples having a meltdown. They did express early walk off at 8am to make a noon flight (recommendaton - no flights prior to 3pm). They'd been sitting on the bus for almost 3 hours waiting for the rest of us to board. They made such a scene that at 11:10 the bus left leaving behind two people unaccounted for. Ironically, we were told those two we left behind would be put on one of the many waiting cabs to the AP. The cruiseline had the recommendation for no flights earlier than 3 and they chose to ignore that so does the cruiseline really HAVE to make sure they made their flights if they chose to do ignore that? I doubt it.

Princess would never do that. They bunch their departures; not one bus. You get a questionairre in your cabin at least one week before debarkation and it behooves you to return it promptly. Early airline departures leave the ship the moment they allow it and the bus/buses fill and go.

.... I just don't want to get caught with too many euros, since after 6 weeks it will be time to go back to US dollars. If a taxi will take US$$$ or a credit card, then a taxi it will be.

For the most part no one in Barcelona, or other most cities in Europe, really wants US dollars. Think of how merchants in your local home town would react to Euros from a traveler. Most taxis take credit cards but my advice is have sufficient euros when you leave the ship. I'd much rather pay an extra $5 to $10 when I get home to exchange a leftover 100 Euros at my local bank or currency exchange than chance running into a problem should something unexpected happen before I board that last airplane. Just minimize the coins you have, or throw your leftovers into the UNICEF collection at the airport, as these are much more difficult to exchange back home than folding money.

Yes, you will be fine.

We got off early and there were tons of taxis readily available.

Your cruise line will try to tell you that you should pay them to transfer you to the airport because there may not be any taxis - but this is bs.

Taxi cabs are always there!

Archived