Ecstasy in June with 4 kids

I just booked a family cruise on the Ecstasy leaving June 21... I have 4 kids, ages 6,9,9 & 11.

My husband and I have sailed before, but not with kids (so there was a lot that we just didn't pay attention to while on board). I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities for my kids to spend money on board the ship, and I want them to start SAVING for it now. But, like most elementary schoolers - they don't know they want it until they see that someone else has it.

So, I'm creating a list of "extras" that the kids might be interested in saving for.. obviously the 'unlimited sodas' is the first thing I found, and the teddy bear workshop, and the boys want a ball cap. So what are the other kid activities or trinkets that they will nickle and dime you for while on board? Anyone know how much the video arcade costs? And is there a basketball court on the Ecstasy?

Thanks in Advance!

Six year old will probably be happy with the kids program, and maybe the 9 year olds. The 11 year old might meet kids the first day in camp and then want to hang outside of the camp activities. Depends on the child. Camp decorates T-shirts, does crafts and other things, so these souvenirs are included in the ticket price.

If you buy a soda card, the kids might want a few virgin drinks throughout the trip. They can get juice with the card, but not the fancier things. DD is 14 and has been cruising since she was 5. She has spent money in the arcade, maybe a snack from the gift shop, etc. Kid-type hats, T-shirts, etc., are relatively inexpensive in ports, and the gifts kids pick up for friends back home tend to be inexpensive.

A general travel/kid souvenier idea for you:

We give our kids (7 & 11) a set amount of money they can spend - say $30. We let them decide how they want to spend their money. At Disney they get $5 a day. On our trip to Washington, DC they got $30 for the trip. On our last cruise they each got $20. We've been doing this since our youngest was in Kindergarten. It works great. Most of the time they don't end of spending all their money. If they spend it all on the first day there is no whining or complaining - they made their choice. What's done is done! We pay for meals, shore excursions, and little food treats, but their take home goodies are paid for by them.

We have let our kids save and bring their own money -but do they really need more than $20-$30 in "stuff"?

As for onboard expenses. We don't buy soda cards. We bring two 12 packs of soda with us to have during the week, which is plenty. They both have water bottles with sport lids they can fill with water, tea or lemonade. I also pack a few little snacks to bring on shore with us like small packs of M&Ms, pretzels, banana chips, etc.

The bear program is about $15. They've never asked to go. On board there isn't much they want to spend money on - it's more on shore and all the gift shops you have to worry about. Unless your kids play bingo or lots of video games I can't see what else they would need money for on board. Camp Carnival gives out shirts for free for the kids to decorate on the last night. I hope that helps! I think when it's "their" money (even if it's your money) they don't want to spend it all. Well at least my kids are that way.

A general travel/kid souvenier idea for you:

We give our kids (7 & 11) a set amount of money they can spend - say $30. We let them decide how they want to spend their money. At Disney they get $5 a day. On our trip to Washington, DC they got $30 for the trip. On our last cruise they each got $20. We've been doing this since our youngest was in Kindergarten. It works great. Most of the time they don't end of spending all their money. If they spend it all on the first day there is no whining or complaining - they made their choice. What's done is done! We pay for meals, shore excursions, and little food treats, but their take home goodies are paid for by them.

We have let our kids save and bring their own money -but do they really need more than $20-$30 in "stuff"?

As for onboard expenses. We don't buy soda cards. We bring two 12 packs of soda with us to have during the week, which is plenty. They both have water bottles with sport lids they can fill with water, tea or lemonade. I also pack a few little snacks to bring on shore with us like small packs of M&Ms, pretzels, banana chips, etc.

The bear program is about $15. They've never asked to go. On board there isn't much they want to spend money on - it's more on shore and all the gift shops you have to worry about. Unless your kids play bingo or lots of video games I can't see what else they would need money for on board. Camp Carnival gives out shirts for free for the kids to decorate on the last night. I hope that helps! I think when it's "their" money (even if it's your money) they don't want to spend it all. Well at least my kids are that way.

I WISH my kids were "that way"... well my daughter is, but not the 3 boys. When they get money (usually birthday or christmas) it's a race to see whether they can spend it before they lose it. And when they've bought what they want and they have money leftover, they give the rest away! Sure it's generous, but also short-sighted because then they will turn around the next day and ask me to buy something for them - not that I necessarily will, but they will ask, and ask, and ask - and then send little brother to ask again.

My personal opinion is that they don't really need ANY "stuff" .. but I know they will want to play in the video arcade, and they will take one look at the "fancy" deserts and want one... and heaven forbid they see the gift shop!

Since they are still young, so I'm trying to use the cruise as a teaching opportunity - about delayed gratification and saving up for what they want - and NOT buying the first thing they see. If they want to go on the excursions, they are going to have to "contribute" - either by doing chores to earn money or making choices - "do you want $2 for the concession stand at baseball? or do you want that money in your cruise fund?"

I've created a little "price sheet" of things that they might be interested spending money on.. (or that they would likely bug me to buy for them)... and after reviewing it they've already decided that the 'unlimited sodas' is not worth it - but the video arcade and the "iceberg" at Paradise Beach have piqued their interest. I'm trying to make the price sheet as comprehensive as possible so they can make informed decisions (in advance) about how to spend their money rather than being sucked in by impulse spending. Thanks for all of your help and advice!

So you know how much BINGO is and how that works?

Archived