POESIA Review 03.20.2010 Day 5 ( The Virgin Gorda that wasn't)

vijoge

We were scheduled to arrive in Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda at approx. 7:30 AM. However, due to weather (I heard someone say it was low tides but I don't really know) we went to Tortola instead. I was a little disappointed as we were looking forward to the Baths. Once again we headed to deck 4 to get off the ship and just as we got there they temporarily closed the exit. The Costa Mediterranea was docking next to us and the port authorities didn't want anyone walking around on that small pier until she was safely parked and tied up. A small inconvenience and a wait of not more than 10 or 15 minutes at the most. But to hear some people complain you would think it was an all day ordeal and, no, these were not just the Europeans! I heard the grumbling in every language.

We had nothing planned for Tortola since we didn't know we were going there so we opted for a last-minute tour of the Island for $15 pp. We went in one of those open air buses and we did have bit of a wait while our driver rounded up enough people to fill the bus. At one point I wondered aloud if we should get off and do something else but we decided to stay.

I am so glad we did! This is one absolutely beautiful place and the views are spectcular. One can only imagine waking up to such a sight on a daily basis. Our driver was very knowledgeable and we learned a lot about the island.

The roads are steep and narrow and the lady behind me was terrified most of the way. But our guide assured us he was the best driver on the Island and it ws "No problem, mon!". And it wasn't.

There is a restaurant/bar at the top of the mountain that has a deck on it's roof from which you have an unobstructed view of the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Caribbean Sea on the other. NOTE: There is a bathroom here which is free to use if you buy a drink or $1 if you don't. I also had good cell service here so I took advantge of it to call home and check on my son and my dogs.

Archived