Komodo Island Excursion

Luker

Hi Luker

Your post was very timely. We are going to Komodo Island in the fall (cruise ship) and had been considering taking the tender ashore, paying the $2 entrance fee and seeing if there was a local guide or ranger available to take us around a bit. Do I understand from your blog that passengers can only go ashore if they have a pre-booked tour? Is that the only option? I do want to see the dragons. Your pictures are a wonderful preview of the island and Java too.

Cruise Consciousness

Hi Luker

Your post was very timely. We are going to Komodo Island in the fall (cruise ship) and had been considering taking the tender ashore, paying the $2 entrance fee and seeing if there was a local guide or ranger available to take us around a bit. Do I understand from your blog that passengers can only go ashore if they have a pre-booked tour? Is that the only option? I do want to see the dragons. Your pictures are a wonderful preview of the island and Java too.

Cruise Consciousness

Hi there!

I was with HAL, and they would not let anyone go ashore without a prearranged tour/guide. HAL charges $100 per person, which of course is a lot more than what you'd pay for a prearranged tour. If you do it own your own, the cruise ships will generally make you show them proof before you get on a tender to go to the island. So, if you book something via the internet before you go, make sure you take printed confirmations to show the cruise line.

That being said, the cruise line that you go with may have a slightly different policy, but unfortunately, it would still be a bad idea to try and find a guide once you get there...mainly because most of them are going to be booked up with the ships tours. I hope that helps. :)

Luther

Thanks for your response (and informative blog). We're on HAL too so might as well bite the bullet and do the ship tour. The excursion guide doesn't mention there is no shore option unless on the ship tour. Good info to have. I guess they prefer intact passengers on the return tender.

We'll make sure we have lots of water (and no umbrella).

Hi there!

I was with HAL, and they would not let anyone go ashore without a prearranged tour/guide. HAL charges $100 per person, which of course is a lot more than what you'd pay for a prearranged tour. If you do it own your own, the cruise ships will generally make you show them proof before you get on a tender to go to the island. So, if you book something via the internet before you go, make sure you take printed confirmations to show the cruise line.

That being said, the cruise line that you go with may have a slightly different policy, but unfortunately, it would still be a bad idea to try and find a guide once you get there...mainly because most of them are going to be booked up with the ships tours. I hope that helps. :)

Luther

Went there in January with Voyages of Discovery, the only sour note of an otherwise excellent cruise was that no-one was allowed ashore unless on ship's excursion at a cost of £45 (about $68?), quoted as being on the instructions of the rangers. We were aware that the cost of a ranger was about $2, so we paid $66 each for a bottle of water. Dumb to go there & not go ashore to see the dragons so we bit the bullet, though the hype about the dragons, at least on the tourist trail, was just that - hype.

Fat, lazy & over-fed, as mentioned in the thread/review its a man-made watering hole with piped water, a zoo without bars.

A couple of other dragons stretched out under the canteen in the tourist village.

Eat a tourist? Nah, can't be bothered - chuck me another chicken.

To be honest, a bit of an anti-climax. But I' guess I've ticked the box.:cool:

John Bull

Went there in January with Voyages of Discovery, the only sour note of an otherwise excellent cruise was that no-one was allowed ashore unless on ship's excursion at a cost of £45 (about $68?), quoted as being on the instructions of the rangers. We were aware that the cost of a ranger was about $2, so we paid $66 each for a bottle of water. Dumb to go there & not go ashore to see the dragons so we bit the bullet, though the hype about the dragons, at least on the tourist trail, was just that - hype.

Fat, lazy & over-fed, as mentioned in the thread/review its a man-made watering hole with piped water, a zoo without bars.

A couple of other dragons stretched out under the canteen in the tourist village.

Eat a tourist? Nah, can't be bothered - chuck me another chicken.

To be honest, a bit of an anti-climax. But I' guess I've ticked the box.:cool:

John Bull

LOL...yes, they seemed quite lazy on the trail. However, with over 2000 of these things on the island, I'm sure a few of them are to be feared. I think a Ranger just died from a bite this past week. It's sad that the boats charge so dang much to go to shore, but I guess it's about the all mighty dollar (or Pound). They kind of have people in a bind on this particular stop. However, overall it was worth doing.

LOL...yes, they seemed quite lazy on the trail. However, with over 2000 of these things on the island, I'm sure a few of them are to be feared. I think a Ranger just died from a bite this past week. It's sad that the boats charge so dang much to go to shore, but I guess it's about the all mighty dollar (or Pound). They kind of have people in a bind on this particular stop. However, overall it was worth doing.

Hi, Luker. Yep, captive audience - one of the bugbears of cruising.:mad:

Re dangerous dragons, yes there was a fisherman killed not long ago as well. Must admit I wouldn't fancy venturing deep into the island or overniting in a tent :eek:

Guessing they're a bit more mean & hungry than the pussy-cats on the tourist trail. :)

For some folk it was the highlight of their cruise, though I wouldn't pay ott to go ashore a second time if on a future cruise with Komodo on the itinerary. Been there, done that, bought the carved wooden dragon, ticked the box.

JB

Yes, pretty clearly we need a guide incase we meet one that missed breakfast. Those are big lizards and I don't relish an encounter.

I just posted a port question re: Cairns on the Australia section (didn't know how to ask you directly). Wondering if your HAL trip trip had a similar itinerary to to our planned fall trip. Looking forward to your future posts and tips.

Yes, pretty clearly we need a guide incase we meet one that missed breakfast. Those are big lizards and I don't relish an encounter.

I just posted a port question re: Cairns on the Australia section (didn't know how to ask you directly). Wondering if your HAL trip trip had a similar itinerary to to our planned fall trip. Looking forward to your future posts and tips.

Hey there,

Yes, I went to Cairns on the last cruise. I haven't gotten around to posting an article or photos yet of that port since there are places I have to write about before it. I spent my time there on "Green Island" and bought the transfer (with Snorkeling included) from the tourism office in town. The office was literally about a block from the ship. Cairns is a pretty city, but most people venture off to do things, such as the train ride. I wouldn't suggest trying to buy the train excursion or some of the other options from the tourist office because it's a zoo by the time you get there and most things are sold out. On top of which, that leaves only scalpers to sell their overpriced tickets to the tourist office..leaving you with a very overpriced day.

If you have any questions, I'll try to help. My email is "Lbtravelblog@gmail.com".

Luther

Archived