Need info on which areas to bid in Miami area...

MamaParrotHead

We're coming in late the night before the cruise, so my only request is that we be near somewhere that I can have the taxi stop on the way to the pier and grab some sodas and some drug store items that I don't have to pack (we stayed at HI-POM last time and that CVS was a god-send).

I'm wondering, first of all, when is the right time frame to bid on one night 1/7/11. I've bid $85, $95, $100 on a zone #7 (downtown Miami) with no luck (on a 3 1/2 star hotel). We got our airfare bought Friday, and I'm just the type to want everything nailed down ASAP and would like to get this handled, if at all possible.

Second of all, I'm wondering what other zones would have a drug store near by that I could pick up the items mentioned above. We've stayed downtown twice (Marriott Courtyard and HI-POM) and the Crowne Plaza near the airport once.

Any thoughts? And yes, I've surfed over on Bidding For Travel, but they don't have anything specific on the dates/areas I'm looking at.

Thanks.

Don't bid now. Way too early. Since you like to lock things up early.. just book something at the airport for a reasonable CANCELABLE rate. Then as you near the cruise date...5 months out, you can start bidding. Not sure if there is anything happening in the Miami area on that date, which could make the rates rise eeven higher than normal winter peak.

If you bid downtown, you will be near stores probably close enough to walk to and only a 10-12$ ride to the port. Airport hotels are more out of the way and you'd have to have the cab wait for you at a store on the way. Not a bad option tho.

It is not too early. I too like getting everything booked and out of the way early in the planning stages. I already have my precruise and postcruise hotel stays for Miami for our December 11 cruise. Precruise I got the Intercontinental which is downtown on lastminutetravel.com for $95 and postcruise (12/18) I got the Eden Roc (a Marriott hotel) for $95 on the beach, which is what I was shooting for. You can also go to easyclicktravel.com and this website will actually show you the hotel names without all the guessing. I'm not for sure it if will give you the Intercontinental though, which is a 5 star hotel right by the port. Booking the Eden Roc, I selected Miami Beach and 4 stars. I either wanted this hotel or any other 4 star on the beach. I really wanted South Beach, but anything on the beach would work.

It is not too early. I too like getting everything booked and out of the way early in the planning stages. I already have my precruise and postcruise hotel stays for Miami for our December 11 cruise. Precruise I got the Intercontinental which is downtown on lastminutetravel.com for $95 and postcruise (12/18) I got the Eden Roc (a Marriott hotel) for $95 on the beach, which is what I was shooting for. You can also go to easyclicktravel.com and this website will actually show you the hotel names without all the guessing. I'm not for sure it if will give you the Intercontinental though, which is a 5 star hotel right by the port. Booking the Eden Roc, I selected Miami Beach and 4 stars. I either wanted this hotel or any other 4 star on the beach. I really wanted South Beach, but anything on the beach would work.

OP was asking about Priceline. Which is indeed too early to bid to get the best rates for Jan. 2011. December, pre Christmas, is nonpeak and yes, you should get a better price. However after Jan. 5, the post Christmas travelers start their travels and rates go up. It's all supply and demand. So unless it is the exact date the OP needs, it doesn't really help to compare your rates to when she needs her room.

OP, always check the going rates on the hotels you are looking at. Start offering at 40% less, whenver you bid PL. You can't really just pull a number out of a hat.

Most people who want to book rooms early, will find something that is cancellable and then spend the next months playing with Priceline. If you win something on PL, just cancel the other booking.

Other sites that I am a member of or check whenever booking in the US are

cheaptickets.com, hotwire, easyclicktravel, travelzoo ( I get VIP offerings here), the usual ones like Expedia and Orbitz and most importantly always start with a hunt on the hotel websites. They most often will guarantee lowest rate and offer specials like breakfasts, upgrades etc. A phone call to the hotel will do wonders on getting a great rate too.

Good luck. Happy planning.

I just got the Intercontinental (5*) through Last Minute Travel for $84.00 + tax for one night pre-cruise.

That is a great price for that hotel.

Your info is not helpful to anyone unless you provide the DATE.

$84.00 in October is normal. $84.00 in February is not possible. :rolleyes:

Thanks again. I just used lastminutetravel.com plus a nifty internet trick to figure out which hotel they were offering and scored the Marriott Biscayne Bay for $129 (internet offering rates $299-$339 for the same date on their website).

Sorry, the date is July 3, 2010. :( No need for the sarcasm.... :eek:

I totally agree nan!!! The object of cruise critic is to provide helpful information to other cruisers. It's not necessary to try and criticize how we choose to help.

mammaparrothead, glad you were able to score a good hotel price. I still say it's never too early to book using those discount sites. You saved over half and that's a huge savings. I usually check priceline and lastminute travel or easyclick.

Thank you all for great info.Just booked 2 rooms 12/25/2010 at Intercontinental in miami for $84 using last minute travel.I am thrilled.

WooHoo!! Good for you. We've stayed there before. It is a beautiful hotel... close to the port and Bayside Marketplace. :)

now my sister is making me nervous about lastminutetravel, as it's a less-well known website.

I just called and Marriott doesn't have my reservation. So I called lastminutetravel and they said their systems don't update with the individual hotels more than once every 24 hours. the lady said they book a block of rooms and they just have to contact the hotel as to how many rooms they've booked of their block. i'm hoping to have better results, and an actual hotel confirmation number, after my call tomorrow. :eek:

LMT has a notation on their site after you book that says your name will not show up on the hotels site until closer to your stay. Should be on your printout.

Maybe someone will chime in on how this works or how long it takes for your name to show up.

Thanks again. I just used lastminutetravel.com plus a nifty internet trick to figure out which hotel they were offering and scored the Marriott Biscayne Bay for $129 (internet offering rates $299-$339 for the same date on their website).

I reserved there directly thru the hotel at an AAA rate of $107 for October. It sounds like a nice place. But now I think we're going to switch to the Marriott South Beach, as I got a rate there for only $20 more. Oh the decisions...

now my sister is making me nervous about lastminutetravel, as it's a less-well known website.

I just called and Marriott doesn't have my reservation. So I called lastminutetravel and they said their systems don't update with the individual hotels more than once every 24 hours. the lady said they book a block of rooms and they just have to contact the hotel as to how many rooms they've booked of their block. i'm hoping to have better results, and an actual hotel confirmation number, after my call tomorrow. :eek:

When you book with them online, you will get a reservation number and a record locator number. They are very much on the up & up. They are part of Tourico Holidays who is a wholesale travel provider. ;)

When you book on a third party site like you did, you do not always get a HOTEL'S confirmation , but do get one for the discounter...whether it is Priceline, Hotwire, Esyclick, Travelzoo etc. Then it is indeed up to you to call the hotel directly in about two-three days to get the HOTEL'S CONFIRMATION number. That is very important. Showing up with the discounter's number doesn't mean you are in the hotel's system. We call twice. Once around the third day of booking. Get the number. Then we always call 4 or 5 days ahead of arrival to again ENSURE we have the hotel's booking.

Some of the discount companies are getting hooked up to many of the major hotels so they are beginning to offer a hotel confirmation at booking. BUT many still aren't so advanced. Either way, yes, continue to work on getting the hotel number. That's the important number.

Easyclick is very popular. I wouldn't worry too much. Every once in a while you will read here and on tripadvisor of people that show up and the hotel will claim no room. That's why you want their conf number. It is up to them to find a room there or nearby for you. That goes for any booking.

Sorry, the date is July 3, 2010. :( No need for the sarcasm.... :eek:

I did not mean to sound sarcastic. :( But when offering info re what you paid for a night to newbies of bidding or discount sites, it is most important to provide the dates of the stay. That's why I asked. And your July date is indeed not peak for Florida.

Too often posters come on expecting these great deals because they read here of $75 wins for a 4 star hotel. And they can't figure out why they aren't getting the same for their trip. It is confusing to not remind the newbies that rates change from day to day, week to week, month to month etc. And in Miami and FLL, it is even more static than other cities because of the many conventions, sports events and local celebrations that can double the rates easily. There is a sticky re current planned events for Miami to help visitors plan ahead.

That's why too, there is a sticky re recent wins here with the dates.

You can also go to betterbidding.com and/or biddingfortravel.com where you can get the prices, dates and hotels being won when bidding on priceline or using the semi-opaque booking procedure on hotwire.

I just got the Intercontinental (5*) through Last Minute Travel for $84.00 + tax for one night pre-cruise.

That is a great price for that hotel.

We were going to stay at the Majestic in South Beach but we were reading conflicting reviews about it, so we thought we'd check out other options. Wow, did we ever decide at a great time! Thanks so much for posting this. I checked out LMT and also got the InterContinental for $84 + tax (10/16/10). We've stayed there in Oct. 2008 and paid $130. When we checked in we were able to get a bay view for a little extra and it was so worth it. We went upstairs, opened our curtains and had the most beautiful view of the ships in port. Can't wait to stay there again. :D

Your info is not helpful to anyone unless you provide the DATE.

$84.00 in October is normal. $84.00 in February is not possible. :rolleyes:

We booked the Intercontinental downtown at $84 at LastMinuteTravel.com for Nov 5, 2010. Since Expedia and several other sites has it for $270, $84 sounds like a deal to me! So maybe we did just fall off the turnip truck.

I got the Intercontinental for December 10 for the $84 plus taxes through lastminutetravel also. It's a great price for a hotel that gets great reviews. I'm glad others have stayed here and can verify that it is a good hotel.

I always call the hotel directly after winning a bid to make sure they have my rewards number to book my reservation number so I can see it under my rewards account, even if I don't get points since I book through the discount site. You still usually get better deals on upgrades, usually free if you are a reward member. The Intercontinental is part of the Priority Club rewards Hotel group.

Archived