canada/new england cruises vs Caribbean

kateydid14

DH and I just got back from our first ever cruise in early March; the Spirit was great, cruising was great, everything was great, great, great!!! Can you tell we had a terrific time?!?

We are now thinking of taking another cruise, this time in September or October to Canada/New England. I think the best sounding itinerary is on the Spirit (Boston-Montreal) but we would like to try another NCL ship, just to see what it's like.

Has anyone cruised to Canada/New England? Do you like this as much as the Caribbean? DH is a warm-weather person; will he think a Fall cruise to Canada will be too cold? Also just wondering if you tend to see the same types of people on these cruises or are there more or less families? Older folks for the most part?

Any thoughts on cruising to Canada/New England in the Fall would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Kate

DH and I just got back from our first ever cruise in early March; the Spirit was great, cruising was great, everything was great, great, great!!! Can you tell we had a terrific time?!?

We are now thinking of taking another cruise, this time in September or October to Canada/New England. I think the best sounding itinerary is on the Spirit (Boston-Montreal) but we would like to try another NCL ship, just to see what it's like.

Has anyone cruised to Canada/New England? Do you like this as much as the Caribbean? DH is a warm-weather person; will he think a Fall cruise to Canada will be too cold? Also just wondering if you tend to see the same types of people on these cruises or are there more or less families? Older folks for the most part?

Any thoughts on cruising to Canada/New England in the Fall would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Kate

D.W. and I did the Canada cruise last fall. We liked the cruise even thou it was cold and rainy almost every day.

Did not see much foliage along the coast but there was much more inland.

The little white Beluga whales were fantastic to see. Lots of ports on the 14 day.

There were a lot of older cruisers. I would head to the Caribbean.D.W. would do Canada again.

Sorry for the split decision. J.M.H.O.

We are tying the NY to Canada/NE mid Sept. Orig. planned on early Oct. but chickened out and opted to leave earlier in hopes the weather might be warm when we go north.

I always wanted to do this cruise just to see what's in our own backyard.

We mainly go for the ship. This will be our third time on the Dawn. I would prefer a different ship even tho the Dawn is awesome but this is what is here.

If you do plan on going this Sept/Oct I suggest you book in the next couple of days before the price goes UP.

Also, is there is no OBC/promo's, don't forget to do the Tropicana rewards.

Very easy.

What type cabin did you have on your cruise a few weeks ago?

We had a forward balcony (11000). I loved sitting outside each evening with a glass of wine but DH thought it was too chilly, even when we were in Belize and Guatemala!

Not sure we want to do a 14 day cruise; that might be too long for us. We have the opportunity to take the train to Niagara Falls, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City (sort of like a land cruise, I guess LOL) but I think we'd also want to see Nova Scotia or PEI.

We just can't decide what to do! i take it most people spend their time inside rather than outside on the ships at that time of year when heading north?

Thanks!

Kate

We did the Canada cruise a couple of years ago with our two sons, then age 21 and 24 in September. Needless to say this was not a cruise to bring them on but it was a family vacation and that was when we could get away. Lots of older folks, some (only some, not all) who were a little less fun loving and patient (I'm trying to be nice, not trying to offend anyone)than younger cruisers are. Clubs were basically empty, ship very quiet at night,not too many participants in any night life. Nova Scotia was beautiful and I would take the cruise to Canada again but now I am aware it will be a very different cruise than the one to the Caribbean that we took. Caribbean were more families, younger and just more fun. Lots of dancing, just more fun. Just so you know my husband and I are in our 50's so we are not exactly youngsters but we like having fun on vacation. As long as you go in with your eyes open and your expectations realistic you will be fine.

thanks everyone, this is the kind of info we were looking for! I'm in my mid 40s and DH just turned 60. We like to have fun but we don't mind a mellow, quieter time either. Rob, what was it about your 9/08 cruise that you liked so much?

Kate

I went back and forth about wanting to do a Canada/New England cruise for a few years. Came very close to doing it one year, and ended up going last year (on NCL Dawn late September/early October, 7 Day cruise, and added a day before and after the cruise to see Manhattan).

I didn't see many children, but then not having any I never really notice them. People seemed to be in there 40s and up.

The weather ran from somewhat chilly to perfect. Cloudy and gray to sunny. Dry to to misty to raining cats and dogs. Definitely more varied than we're used to on our other cruises. We wore sweaters, sweat jackets, and light jackets and brought more rain gear with us (waterproof windbreaker, rain ponchos with hoods, and umbrella) so did pretty good the day we were going between the mansions to bus stops in Newport, RI.

We had our first balcony but only used it in the morning and evening while in port.

We ended up really liking the ports we went to. And there is so much to see and do in all of them, that we'd like to go on another Canada/New England cruise someday.

It did feel "weird" not doing a warm weather cruise, so our next cruise is to Bermuda this summer for a little sun and beach time :).

Azure moon said: It did feel "weird" not doing a warm weather cruise.

I know exactly what you mean! Maybe that's why we're having a hard time deciding whether or not to take this cruise this Fall. I'm leaning toward doing so, however, especially after hearing the feedback from this post.

Thanks again!

We are booked on the Spirit, September 25th 14-day R/T from Boston. We booked this cruise for the itinerary, as it looks very port intensive and we have not previously traveled at all in the Maritime Provinces.

You can visit some of the Roll Calls for these fall cruises, and meet some of the other people who are going to be cruising to get an idea of the people you "may" be traveling with. Good Luck!

Annie & Les

We don't do warm weather cruises, so I can't compare for you. But we love New England and Canada, and love these cruises. There is so much to see, and with somewhat different itineraries, new towns to visit each time!

Yes, the clientele is a bit older and more subdued. But with heavy port-days, we didn't want to stay up late anyway -- wanted to get off the ship and see the towns the next day.

Next time we hope to do the one-way (we've done round-trips in the past), starting in New York City and ending in either Quebec or Montreal, then spending time in one of those cities. Quebec is near the top of our list of favorites.

My wife and I did the New York roundtrip to Canada/New England on the Dawn in late August early September in 2008. It's the same itinerary (New York City; Halifax; Saint John (Bay Of Fundy); Bar Harbor; Boston; Newport) in 2010.

We had a great time. It was all about the ports and sightseeing. My DW and I both like history and culture so it was fun for us. We are in our 40's/50's and yes the crowd was a little older than most cruises. If you take the trip, bring a light waterproof jacket. The weather ran the gamut from warm sunshine in NY.....cool and brisk at Peggy's Cove, Halifax....rain in Saint John....warm sunshine in Bar Harbor, sun in Boston and fog in Newport. We experienced it all and even sailed through Tropical Storm Hanna on our return to New York. We would do it again!

Here's some photos:

Leaving New York

23kw3eg.jpg

Peggy's Cove

f5byps.jpg

Ships in Saint John

wanhu0.jpg

View from Cadillac Mtn. Bar Harbor

10di26g.jpg

Docked in Boston

ncz9lg.jpg

Mansion in foggy Newport

b3twnp.jpg

[

Peggy's Cove

f5byps.jpg

That is one of the prettiest pictures I have ever seen.

Thanks....lots of luck involved here. There were tons of people around. I just ran down to this area and snapped away before anyone ruined the shot. Lots of nice stuff to see on this itinerary!

Makes a great wallpaper for your desktop too.:)

Jerseyboy....thanks for the very nice pics. I loved them!!!

I too don't like it too hot when we go away.

We get off the ship for a little while to take a look around,

once in a while we do a shore excursion, but other than that

we prefer to hang around on the ship. Don't get me wrong,

we do venture out at each port for a few hours but mainly

we go on a cruise for the ship.

As for the weather, it is what it is. I always pack umbrellas

and really never have had the need for them.

If we need them this time, so be it.

Not gonna dampen our trip. (no pun intended) :D

lol If the port I am in is too hot, I carry a battery operated fan, a wash cloth, an umbrella and a bottle of water to wet the wash cloth or to pour over my head. (used all of these on my birthday, May 2nd in Mexico)

As I've stated before, I've been thinking about this itinerary

for a few years and figured why the heck not do it this year!!?

Don't really care if there are a lot of old folks, I expect it. :eek:

I love leaving from NY so I am limited to where we go.

Would love to do Bermuda again.....maybe next year.

Jerseyboy....thanks for the very nice pics. I loved them!!!

Your welcome Mrs. H.......Yeah we took that trip to do something different than the same Caribbean vacation we have done many times in the past. We live in NJ so the embarkation point was a short drive away as well. Love New York!!!

Lots of lighthouses and coastline to view if you like that sort of thing. You'll have a great time on your cruise..enjoy!

A few more shots:

Sailing towards Halifax

nckwhi.jpg

Tons of people at Peggy's Cove Lighthouse

2a7j2ie.jpg

Leaving Saint John

2qbwv21.jpg

Entering Bar Harbor area

2aijb0n.jpg

Bar Harbor

14jaipv.jpg

Fogged in bridge in Newport

2mq2tf7.jpg

We have done NE/Canada 2 times...Carnival and NCL...really enjoyed the cruises...last time we did not bother getting off at St John or doing excursions at Halifax-as they were repeats..and enjoyed our extra time on the ship instead!

PS--Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park was great...as was Newport..(even in the rain!)

Archived