Onboard Credits - anyone take some home?

goldencruiser

I know on our RCCL cruise in Jan, I was surprised to see RCCL give me OBC back on my credit card.

Thank you

Hi Rick, hope you and "the girls" are well and happy.

We rarely get any booking credit anymore. We use the balcony credit from RCL, so anything we do have is refundable. Also, we don't use as much we we used to, we book the MTD and pay the bulk of our tips up front.

When are you sailing on the Mercury?

How do you all get so many on board credits? Is it from booking with special travel agents? Or from Stock? I am glad for you but I would like to learn how to get them as well.......:D

A combination of things. Sometimes the cruiseline offers incentives but you cannot combine them with shareholder OBC so you take whichever is higher. Our TA usually offers an incentive (around 10% of the cost or less), we also get OBC from our BofA X rewards card. We charge our DD's college tuition on it and that racks up some points, you just have to be sure and pay it off each month or the interest negates any benefit. You can purchase some OBC for youself if you have some extra cash before the cruise in your "cruise fund". One way of "prepaying" for the fun, no savings but you might spend it otherwise before the cruise. Friends have purchased OBC for us as a b'day gift before, but that was only once, :)

We usually get a credit at the end of the cruise on our CC but we have owed before also. Scott

A combination of things. Sometimes the cruiseline offers incentives but you cannot combine them with shareholder OBC so you take whichever is higher. Our TA usually offers an incentive (around 10% of the cost or less), we also get OBC from our BofA X rewards card. We charge our DD's college tuition on it and that racks up some points, you just have to be sure and pay it off each month or the interest negates any benefit. You can purchase some OBC for youself if you have some extra cash before the cruise in your "cruise fund". One way of "prepaying" for the fun, no savings but you might spend it otherwise before the cruise. Friends have purchased OBC for us as a b'day gift before, but that was only once, :)

We usually get a credit at the end of the cruise on our CC but we have owed before also. Scott

Thanks for the reply....I'll have to look into the TAs I notice some of them have OBC...I have never booked with a TA....

How do you all get so many on board credits? Is it from booking with special travel agents? Or from Stock? I am glad for you but I would like to learn how to get them as well.......:D

We had already made final payment and then the fare dropped (special residential rate) three times afterward! Just kept my eye on X website and called them to make the adjustment.

If you do a open booking (pre booking ) while on a Celebrity ship you pay $200 per open booking . This $200 then is your deposit for a cruise you select in the future .with this $200 you get a OBC from Celebrity . I remember that for a 7 night cruise it is $100 & for a 14 night cruise it is $300 --forget the inbetween amounts .Then we also get OBCs & free travel ins from our TA . We booked a Caribbean cruise (14 nights ) on the connie for April 2011 & got a total of $500 in OBCs & the Free travel Ins .

Archived