Packing Hanging Clothes

katandbud

The only thing we have to transport hanging clothes in is like a vinal sleeve that slides over the hanging clothes...it isn't a suitcase type carrier, but rather a hanging carrier if that makes sense. Do they throw all the suitcases in a pile to deliver later to the cabins? In other words...should we go out and purchase a clothing bag that rolls up or something? We don't want our hanging clothes to get all wrinkled...Thanks for any advice:)

Kathy

You definitely want something more solid than that if you're going to give it to the porters to deliver. All the luggage gets thrown in a pile then up the conveyor belt onto the ship. You'll probably have a 'pile' of clothes in that plastic sleeve by the time you get it.... you'd probably want a good luggage garment bag if you're going to use it as checked baggage.

Are you allowed to take your hanging clothes onto the ship yourself? I would tip the porter just to allow me to take all my luggage on board myself, if they would let me. Anyone ever tried to pull their suitcase onto the ship? Having no idea how all this works, it worries me that I am just going to leave all our luggage on the pier and hope that it gets on the right ship. It won't be because I don't tip well enough, but it still bothers me.

The luggage that the porters put on the ship goes through screening the same way that luggage goes through screening by TSA before it's put on a plane. They have the huge xray machines. I think you'll have a very hard time carrying on everything you'll need for a cruise.

Thanks alot ...having never been o a cruise before, hard to picture how this works.Same as an airline-dah:)

I think we will either purchase a luggage bag, or somehow fold them inside of plastic bags or something and place in a suitecase...I don't know.

Thanks again for the input, Kathy

We have two, but one will really do (we travel w/2 kids). Our most recently purchased has extra outside pockets on both sides as well as several zippered pockets on the inside. I swear you could pack for a whole week in them. Our suitcases have suiters that carry hanging garments nicely, but I like the garment bags, you can leave them hanging until right before you walk out the door. They seem a bit easier to unpack also, just unzip and transfer the clothes to the closet, already on hangers.

Have a fun cruise!

Don't forget to put two luggage tags (your own, not the cruise tags) on the outside of each checked bags, plus one on the inside of your bag. Remove any old travel tags that might still be attached to any suitcases. A copy of your itinerary may help any wayward bag reach you, I type it out, reduce it, put one inside the bag, one behind a luggage tag on the outside. Cross pack your luggage with your travel partner and have shoes in each, just in case one bag is delayed or mis-directed.

Happy ks, your tips are awesome!! Thanks so much.

booboo4031, I think you are right about carrying everything we need for a cruise on our own, its just that when you hear stories of luggage going missing, you get a little paranoid! lol

You guys are such a great source of information, I love reading this board!

My DH always carrys our hanging garment bag as carry-on luggage. We put our formal clothes in them, along with the shoes. We also each bring along a change of each type of clothes as well as swim suits in our carry-ons just in case our luggage doesn't make it. Knew someone this happened to once!

Don't forget to put two luggage tags (your own, not the cruise tags) on the outside of each checked bags, plus one on the inside of your bag. Remove any old travel tags that might still be attached to any suitcases. A copy of your itinerary may help any wayward bag reach you, I type it out, reduce it, put one inside the bag, one behind a luggage tag on the outside. Cross pack your luggage with your travel partner and have shoes in each, just in case one bag is delayed or mis-directed.

Why do we need two luggage tags on the outside of each bag? I am sure this was explained somewhere but I missed it - sorry!

Just in case one of them gets ripped off. On newer pieces of luggage, the luggage tag is actually slipped into a built in pocket an snapped into place.

On our last trip, both luggage tags and the belt we strap around one of our bags went missing. We like to put colorful straps on our black luggage for identification and a slight bit of security. The bag went around the conveyor several times before I asked DH to check it. I was very glad we had a tag on the inside.

Are we there yet, you're welcome, it's a pleasure.

Thanks Kathy.

The last few times I have travelled I tied some of that curling ribbon you use for gift warpping onto our bags. You are right, if you have black bags like 95% of people it is very nice to have something there for quick recognition.

I really appreciate the advice on making lots of luggage tags and also putting a small itinerary there too. I would not have thought to put one on the inside but that is a great idea.

I am SO glad I found this board. It has really got some great advice for us first time cruisers, and also everyone is very nice about answering the same questions over and over. lol :D

My DH always carrys our hanging garment bag as carry-on luggage. We put our formal clothes in them, along with the shoes. We also each bring along a change of each type of clothes as well as swim suits in our carry-ons just in case our luggage doesn't make it. Knew someone this happened to once!

Can you elaborate on this, please? Is it just a regular garment bag that you carry on/off the ship (like a dress hanging, suit hanging up in a bag with hangers)? Or is it a luggage type (I have found these wrinkle clothes worse than just packing them)? And if carrying them on, do you place them on the X-ray machine thing without hurting them?

I am bringing my husband's military dress, as well as my beaded long dress, and just want to make sure both arrive safe.....

Can you elaborate on this, please? Is it just a regular garment bag that you carry on/off the ship (like a dress hanging, suit hanging up in a bag with hangers)? Or is it a luggage type (I have found these wrinkle clothes worse than just packing them)? And if carrying them on, do you place them on the X-ray machine thing without hurting them?

I am bringing my husband's military dress, as well as my beaded long dress, and just want to make sure both arrive safe.....

We have used a garment bag commonly called a ``2-suiter'' for our formal wear. Has outside pockets for our shoes and enough spare space to include a few other items. It is still small enough to go through the ship's x-ray machine.

Word of caution using garment bags. Made the mistake once of using metal hangars. DH's jacket and hangar fell off the safety tab inside and hangar put a hole in his jacket sleeve. I've learned to put duct tape around the end of hangars to make sure they won't puncture our clothes or poke holes in our luggage.

Dianne

Archived