British Night

Iceland

Hello Most men wear anything red white and blue. Web sites carry loads of suitable and cheap things, bow ties, hats, shirts. etc

We had flashing red white and blue bow ties our wives union jack shirts and scarf.

Have a good time

Hello Most men wear anything red white and blue. Web sites carry loads of suitable and cheap things, bow ties, hats, shirts. etc

We had flashing red white and blue bow ties our wives union jack shirts and scarf.

Have a good time

On our british night lots of people had the small union jack flags, I wore white trousers blue top and red shoes.There were some people in union jack T shirts and some with red bow ties. If you don't want to join in it's just casual

Thank you for your replies. I have for myself a white skirt, red top and royal blue beads and earings but I hadn't given a thought till now about what my husband should wear. As we cruise next Tuesday I've left it a bit late. Have to have a scout round tomorrow, see what I can find.

Rita

I'm not madly keen on British night on board ships as it sometimes deteriorates into a xenophobic affair. This is especially so on long cruises when a significant numbers of passengers are not British. Why don't FOCL rename the event red/white/and blue night. This would cover the UK, USA, France, Netherlands and some others? It's worth a thought.

One of the "British" nights I did was on Balmoral ,when it became a red,white and blue night ,my OH didn,t want to attend but he eventually did, sporting his red braces and jeans,he really enjoyed it because the dutch contingent took over ,got up on stage and we had a great evening.:)

I am a little uncomfortable with theme nights in general, particularly if they are too "patriotic" as it could make guestf from other countries feel out of place.

However, our cruise on Blackwatch W1003 has a C & W theme night and I have been pursuaded to get into charactor - any tips?

Sailed on the Braemar in February, my first ever cruise! & I loved it.

The theme nights are a bit of fun. The British night had a singalong with songs from England,Ireland, Scotland & Wales and most people wore things that were red , white & blue or even clothes/hats sporting union jacks. For the C&W evening many people wore jeans, check shirts & stetsons- sheriff stars! whatever. I managed to get a fun pink stetson from a 2euro shop (meant for hen nights!) if you don't want to dress up well no one is going to take offence.

Have a great time

Whats wrong with being Patriotic, its a bit of fun, look how popular last night of the proms has become, we are British and there's nothing wrong with that.

Everyone knows the FOCL ships are mainly used by Brits, if our Colonial Cousins (Americans) want to join us they are welcome. If they had something similar they would give it to us, both barrels

Last year we were berthed alongside one of the American monsters, one of the excursions was on a yacht which turned into a race, Brits v Yanks.

On the sail away party our Colonial Cousins were left in no doubt who had won the race with Land of Hope and Glory & Rule Brittania.

Its a fun night dont spoil it, we havent got a lot left to be proud of!

Motorcar:):D

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=&date=4-15-2010&text=&ship=Braemar

I am always suspicious of people who believe that waving flags and singing "patriotic" songs are in some way more patriotic than than those that serve their country quietly. It can also be a trifle embarassing when a significant proportion of the passengers are not from the UK which is becoming more common on the Fred. Olsen long voyages..

Whats wrong with being Patriotic, its a bit of fun, look how popular last night of the proms has become, we are British and there's nothing wrong with that.

Everyone knows the FOCL ships are mainly used by Brits, if our Colonial Cousins (Americans) want to join us they are welcome. If they had something similar they would give it to us, both barrels

Last year we were berthed alongside one of the American monsters, one of the excursions was on a yacht which turned into a race, Brits v Yanks.

On the sail away party our Colonial Cousins were left in no doubt who had won the race with Land of Hope and Glory & Rule Brittania.

I'm with you, its a lot of fun and i have a nice pair of white trousers and a red and blue top that says 'England Rocks' on the front all ready for when we sail on boudicca on 29/4, its all in the taking part. As the election is looming wonder if the 6th may will be british night???

I am always suspicious of people who believe that waving flags and singing "patriotic" songs are in some way more patriotic than than those that serve their country quietly. It can also be a trifle embarassing when a significant proportion of the passengers are not from the UK which is becoming more common on the Fred. Olsen long voyages..

Interested in your comments in your first sentance, "Suspicious of people" & "those that serve there country quietly", maybe you could help us understand what you are thinking.

Maybe Ive got it wrong I'm for people letting their hair down and enjoying themselves. Even Sue's England Rocks T Shirt, hopefully she wont offend the Scots, Irish & Welch to much.

Motorcar

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Motorcar! :D We look so forward to joining you as your Colonial Cousins on a Fred Olsen cruise in July! I totally agree with you! We are not the least bit offended with anybody's patriotism! Matter of fact, we will look forward to joining in the British night fun right along with everybody else. :D I think I have a little lapel pin with the Union Jack and the American flags crossed together, which will proudly adorn part of my wardrobe! My dad was a D-day vet stationed in Tidworth during WWII, and our family is forever grateful to our English brothers and sisters for their warm hospitality during that very trying time! Here's to the red, white and blue! ;)

Having met quite a few "yanks" on FOs ships ,most really enjoy British night ,which is also called ,Red -White & Blue night.

So wave your flag as well, our Union Flag will be given to you to wave as you enter the room.

How FUN!! :D Looking forward to it!!! :D

Archived