Ziplining-weight issue

cruisegal40

There are 6 of us going on the LOS in a couple of weeks. We would love to do the zipline. However, DH sister is over weight and I don't think she would be able to do this. Not really sure how much she weighs and I would never ask, but I know my boys would love to do it. Anyone run into this problem? I know if we go she is going to want to go and I don't want to put her in the embarrassing position.

Weight and height limits are usually listed on the zip line's web site or the excursion provider's website. They can vary. But a woman being overweight for her height could still weigh less than the maximum weight allowed. I've seen 6'+ exfootball plyers zipping along. The safer zip line companies have fairly strong double zip lines and secure harnesses.

Thanks. Now I have to figure out a tactful way to find out how much she does weigh. I have a feeling it may be more than 275, but I am a bad judge when it comes to that. She is short. About 5'2".

Just have to figure this out. I would love to do it and I know DH and kids would too. I know it is a hike up there too. Uggg. decisions decisions. thank you for the info.

Just tell everyone in your party that the zip line has restrictions in height and weight and tell them what they are (get these from your tour operator or the zip line company). She'll back out on her own with an excuse or be embarassed by the zip line operators when they won't let her on.

We are sailing next week and my best friends hubby is roughly 295 lbs and in Cozumel we found one that goes up to 275 lbs. but that still will work for us. Our other stops top weight was 250 lbs. Check out your different ports.

Missygirl

For the sake of not having the excursion ruined at the last minute you should tell her about the plan and the height and weight limits. No need to ask, she can respond if she will not be able to do the zip lines.

I would just tell her what you are doing and she will probably back out on her own or do her own research without you having to ask her about her weight. I'm overweight, too, and I am very aware of what I need to check for on weight limits; she probably is too.

if you go to youtube.com and type in Belize family zipline....you can watch the families zipline....I read that and the waist belt that holds you in will only extend to 46 inches. So have to measure her waist.....I would rather her know that know than to be embarrassed in front of alot of people and be disappointed if she is turned away.

Why not just ask her if she wants to go on the zip line. She may have other reasons for turning it down (scared of heights). Forward her the excursion page and let her decide. That way she can see the weight limit. It is now her decision.

The waiste belt might do the trick. I can say that is is 46 inches. So if she thinks that is a problem, we can pick something else. I am trying to divert that shore excursion. I think they are going to do ATV in Coz instead. We are doing snorkeling in Belize too. So I think disaster averted. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

• 5 weeks later...

The weight issues go both ways. We did zip line in Costa Rica, I am 5'3" and weight 100 lbs. I didn't weigh enough to make it across, I go stuck in the middle and they had to attach on to the line and come rescue me as I hung from the line over a huge canyon. I will never do that again! My husband is 6'1" and 225, he had no problems he actually had to slow down so he wouldn't hit the platform going to fast. The heavier you are the faster you will zip across the line.

Archived