Waist Stash & Money Belt ANYONE use these?

STARFISH*4

and thank goodness we did in Barcelona....lots of pick-pockets, scammers and other annoying creatures in a beautiful city. DH had a hand in his pocket and found someone elses hand there too.

on the other hand....no issues in Asia, or South America

But still, the Passport, money beyond a little, and the extra credit card...well and safely stashed. They have to get REALLY upclose and personal to get anything.:eek:

Common sense should prevail....what would you do in a big US city you didn't know? just be careful and aware of your surroundings, and keep your vital papers safe.

• 3 weeks later...
If you choose tan you can buy the Eagle Creek Hidden Pocket from Amazon for $8.15. If you have Amazon Prime shipping is free.

Shak

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Travel-Gear-Hidden/dp/B001M0NWV6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1271869824&sr=8-5

Wow - I just happened to go to TJ Maxx today and found one for $4.99! It is a royal traveller by samsonite and is not fancy but you can't beat that price. I could not find the exact one on the internet, but a very similar one by american tourister on KMart's site sells for $7.99.

I used to work in a luggage store for 15 years before location closed. I personally recommend and use the Eagle Creek one in black. rick Steves a close second. The Samsonite and Travelon ones the clips are too bulky.

Also a tip: I put my money belt on my side so I can access my stuff and half the time I don't notice its on. Its more comfortable for me. I don't like neck ones I hate stuff on my neck and the bra ones hold hardly anything , ankle ones and belt loop ones are good for men.

Alrana

Any luggage store or luggage department should have travel wallets in many varieties. Cheaper is not always better, we do have some cheaper brands, but I doubt they would hold up for an entire trip (depending on amount of days). The straps are flimsy and the fabric so thin it would easily wear a hoel.

My favorite brand is Eagle Creek and I like the silk ones better than the bulkier ones, it also has a plastic liner so money doesn't get damp/sweaty. Victorinox makes a heavy duty waist stash and neck stash, but again they are heavy and bulky. We sell an Eagle Creek pocket that attaches to a belt and you can tuck it in as well as just stash it in your pocket, my husband used this in Italy.

I tell people when they wear the "around the neck" type of money holder to wear it cross body instead of hanging from their neck. That way it's a little more comfortable and less conspicuous.

I've read that account of the cut up newspaper several times, I think it's become a bit of an internet myth. Instead of making yourself into a target with a back pocket wallet or bulky money clip in your hip pocket, I think it's better to use a bit more discretion. Even a rubber band around your cash will make it harder to extract from your pocket. A cross body bag (a small one) held in front of you with your hand on it is best for crowded areas. PacSafe makes one that is slash proof and has wires through the straps and zipper locks/attachments.

Everyone has different needs, some people don't want to be bothered, some are so overcautious I wonder at how they can relax and enjoy their trip. I have to agree with catllar.

Just wanted to update here and say that the waterproof waist packs worked fantastically well! I wore it out and about on every excursion, including a jetski ride in Labadee and snorkeling in Grand Cayman, and all of my things stayed dry. It was also easily concealed on city and walking excursions in Colombia, Panama, and Costa Rica. My husband loved his too.

I prefer the waist belt style- I keep my passport and money in it, with a regular wallet in my pocket or purse for the day. If I find I need money during the day- I go into a dressing room as if to try clothes on and get it out of the money belt (though on a cruise I leave "extra" money in the safe- but never our passports when we are off the ship). I've seen people reach into them to get money out in shops, and to me that pretty much ruins the purpose of the money belt.

When we swim, DH wears it under his swimsuit and holds both our passports.

DH loves these thins much to my horror. :D

I originally got it for him for our cruise two years ago for his keys and such but he loved it so much that he wears it on regular basis!

He tends to wear baggier tops so when he has it around his waist you can't even tell he is wearing one.

Under my signature there is a picture of him with the kids and he is wearing on underneath his shirt!

Starfish, wear your moneybelt! I never travel overseas without the inside-my-waistband moneybelt and always feel so very secure in foreign countries. I do also carry a small crossbody bag for small camera, makeup, maps and day-money, sunscreen etc.. ID, passport and the big-money and credit cards go in the waist belt. You get used to it after a few hours.

We were in a restaurant in London on one trip and the couple next to us were nearly in tears. DH asked what the trouble was. It was their 2nd day on vacation and his wallet was stolen out of his back pocket. EVERYTHING was gone. He was a retired New York City Police Officer!

One of the things the thieves pride themselves on is stealing your wallet then re-buttoning your pants pocket. Have fun but keep your wits about you and don't let ANYONE get close to you.

Happy Travels!

Hi Gingee, no they are flat, long "pockets" with a zipper that has elastic around it with a clip. You put your ID, credit cards, passport, "Big" bills, travelers checks etc. in it and slip it right inside the front of your pants. You are "hands free" as far as that part of your "stuff" goes.

If someone should get ahold of your little day bag or tote they are not spoiling your entire vacation when your money, ID, Passport and credit cards are gone for good.

If you're not hot for the waist version they have some on a rope around your neck. I don't care for this one too much.

Oh, if you're wondering how you get your stuff out, I just go into a little corner of the store or up against the counter with DH in front and pull out what I need. My way is thinking is that "nobody knows your a** in a strange town" and so what if they get a flash of your belly button!

Happy Travels!

I did pick up one today at Wal Mart for $7. Not sure if it is the same as the ones described. It has two zippers and clips around the front of you. Target also had one.

I did pick up one today at Wal Mart for $7. Not sure if it is the same as the ones described. It has two zippers and clips around the front of you. Target also had one.

i almost picked up the same one i bet....it seemed like it was SOFTER than some i have seen...i should have gotten at least to try....my first thought was it would come undone and i would loose it but that wouldnt be the case the more i thought of it...i wear capris so it would still be in there.....lol....i think i will get one and TRY next time i am in Wallymart.

i really wanted hubby to wear one too....

• 3 weeks later...

I have a cross body purse and will probably also get a money belt for use especially when we are in Barcelona pre-cruise as we will have all of our cash, passports etc until we can check into the hotel. My big question now is my daughter's "good" camera that she wants to take along "after all mom why would I go to europe and not want to get GREAT pictures". So what does everyone think? How do we safeguard her camera? what kind of bag? She does have a thinker strap that she can use when she is using the camera. HELP! I need some suggestions!

I have a cross body purse and will probably also get a money belt for use especially when we are in Barcelona pre-cruise as we will have all of our cash, passports etc until we can check into the hotel. My big question now is my daughter's "good" camera that she wants to take along "after all mom why would I go to europe and not want to get GREAT pictures". So what does everyone think? How do we safeguard her camera? what kind of bag? She does have a thinker strap that she can use when she is using the camera. HELP! I need some suggestions![/quote]

I agree with her!!

This is how I travel Europe with a good camera:

Remove the neck strap that has the camera brand on it, replace it with a plain black one.

Cut some little pieces of black tape (electrical tape will do, it's easiest to find) and place the tape over every brand name on the camera body (or a color to match that of the camera).

I take only one lens, a good all purpose one, because I don't want to be seen changing the lens.

Do not carry it in a fancy camera bag.

I use a cheap kids backpack from a Walmart type store (not in a bright attention getting color). I do not carry it on my back. It, also, holds my jacket which provides extra padding for the camera.

Whatever you do to reduce calling attention to it, it's still a good camera so leave a copy of the model and serial numbers at home, or whatever information your insurance company might need should you not bring it home.

Then, enjoy the trip, don't worry about it. It can be replaced!!

I have a cross body purse and will probably also get a money belt for use especially when we are in Barcelona pre-cruise as we will have all of our cash, passports etc until we can check into the hotel. My big question now is my daughter's "good" camera that she wants to take along "after all mom why would I go to europe and not want to get GREAT pictures". So what does everyone think? How do we safeguard her camera? what kind of bag? She does have a thinker strap that she can use when she is using the camera. HELP! I need some suggestions!

Pacsafe makes many items many anti theft travel gear including camera bags.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

Shak

RVRCLC and Shak: Thanks for the advice. Still can't help feeling nervous about having any expensive items with us after hearing some of the stories. Would like to make us look like a more difficult target at the very least.

RVRCLC and Shak: Thanks for the advice. Still can't help feeling nervous about having any expensive items with us after hearing some of the stories. Would like to make us look like a more difficult target at the very least.

The most valuable thing you have is not the most expensive.

It's your passport.

Carry it in the money belt.

Thanks! Yes! Will carry passport in money belt. Will we be able to leave passport on ship for port days?

Take it with you. We found that when we wanted to make a large purchase, we needed the passport number. This was for refund of tax purposes. It also helps if you happen to get left behind in port ;)

I just received a pair of Orvis travel pants and Tilley Adventure Cloth pants I purchased on eBay and both have a passport pocket built in the waistband. That is a pretty cool feature I feel.

Shak

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId=13&gender=m&extractBy=CategoryId&id=7&productNo=TE25

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=645Y&adv=12082&cm_mmc=Froogle*Prod_feeds*Prod_feeds*12082&CAWELAID=28340141

I do it simple. My Lane Bryant bra has a pocket in it meant for padding, but since I don't need padding I take it out. When I go ashore I put my money down in there. People can stare if they want when I pull money out of my bra, but let me tell you......I will KNOW if someone tries to get in there. I can even fit my passport in there too.:eek:

Archived