Question-Owner's Suite on Dream - 2/13/05

lmbaldwin

It's been a while (Aug 2003) since we were on the Dream for the Baltic cruise. We were in a portside owners suite.

First, that side is over the disco and we could hear the bass every night and couldn't sleep. I'd only go back on a starboard side owners suite.

Second, the owners suites are some of the smallest owners suites afloat. They're "cozy" for two people and I have no idea how you'd put 5 people and their stuff in there.

The bedroom is so tight that if one is sitting at the vanity, the other has to go out through the bathroom and come back through the living room or vice versa to get to the other side of the bedroom. The walk-in closet has plenty of hanging space, but the entire cabin is tight on drawer space. The living room is well-laid-out and comfortable enough, but again, it's tiny. The balcony is almost as big as the living room. Having said that, we managed very well with two people and an occasional third (our son loved sleeping in the berth up in the closet). You just have to get used to using the bathroom as a hallway. Truth is, friends sailing with us had an outside balcony cabin that actually seemed more spacious and pleasant than our owners suites.

Perks include butler service and concierge service. Truth be told, I don't think we made the most of either of them. Having stayed in other NCL owners' suites and the Garden Villas, we now know what services we can and can't ask for from the staff.

The concierge will make shore excursion arrangements and see to your return transportation, etc. The butler is responsible for bringing you your room service. The cabin stewards just keep the place clean. I think that the concierge might even be able to arrange for dining "reservations" for larger parties or special events. You'll also likely be invited to the captains cocktail party - we met some lovely people there.

I don't know if it is still true but the best main restaurant was Terraces, not Four Seasons. Faster service, food was hotter and tastier and staff happier.

HOpe that helps.

Do they have two lounge chairs on the balcony?

Also, what is the standard rate for tipping the Butler and Concierge?

If you can tell me anything else about the Owner's Suite on the Dream, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help!!

Linda

As I recall, the balcony is too tiny for one lounge chair, much less two. There are, however, two regular chairs and a table out there and it is nevertheless quite pleasant. You can get to the balcony from the sliders in either the bedroom or living room.

Your tip will depend on what the butler and concierge do for you. Our butler just brought room service breakfast and occasional other room service meals and the nightly hors d'oeuvre trays for us, but when our nanny was sick with a virus, the room stewards couldn't do enough for her. So we were more generous with our room steward tips than with our butler tip, quite frankly.

The concierge was more helpful and arranged our tours and got us invited to dine at the Captain's table. I think for the Baltic Capitals trip he got about $100. It was Carlos, if I remember correctly, and he was a sweetheart.

I'm not sure what else you want to know that I haven't already said. Make sure you're on the starboard side if you can or else you'll hear the disco (loud and clear) until very late at night. Ask more specific things and I'll do my best.

We were on the Dream Feb/2004 in room 1005 which is port side. We loved the location and never had problems from noise!! Yes the owners suites are smaller on the Dream but we had wonderful cabin steward(Pamela) and butlers. You receive goodies in the evening, fruit basket refreshed all week,choice of soft drinks,bottle water, 3 large bottles of liquor (list to choose from), furnished mixers (bloody mary) and we had a birthday party in the room for my husband and had different cheeses, finger sandwiches, desserts,etc. NO CHARGE!! The butler brought breakfast every morning which we enjoyed on the balcony most mornings( we had 2 lounge chairs,table and chairs) You would have more room on the balcony with just one lounge chair but we used them most every day!! Huge walk in closet, tv in bedroom and living room. We loved our cruise on the Dream and I really hate they are moving her to Tx. New Oreleans we can drive to but I'm sure we will look forward to trying the Sun. NCL does offer allot more for suite guests than RCCL.

Archived