what's the secret to getting deck chairs?

MamaParrotHead

I've read all the nasty posts about people who save them and aren't even *there* to use them...is it reallt THAT bad all the time? I'm not rolling myself out of bed at the crack of dawn to get a damn chair. is there any secret place that's less crowded or super-secret "chair vulture" technique involved in actually scoring a place to sunbathe? it's so nutty...you'd think with these huge ships there's be plenty of optimal space for such things. :confused:

If you dont care about being right next tot he pool area there will be plenty of chairs around the various decks of the pool. I do wish the cruisel ines would enforce their no chair saving policy- if someone is not sitting in that seat for over an hour--take the stuff off and place it elsewhere.

If you don't have to be beside or by the pool(s) go one deck up from the pool deck- usually lounges available. Bonus here is that on some ships there is a bar on this deck and it may not be as busy as the bar on the pool deck.

Actually also depends on your sailing. If it's not a peek trip (school vacations), you may have better luck. I was on Millenium in December before the holiday breaks. The cruise was probably 70% seniors. It was actually simple to get a deck chair by the pool every day, but near impossible to get one in the shade!!!!! Seems the elder passengers prefer the shade!. We did see the occasional chair-saver, but we sat by the pool every single day and never went at the crack of dawn.

Now, that said, if you show up at the pool any time after 9 :00 or 9:30 you can't expect to get a set by the pool. But that's not that unreasonable. Sea days of course were worse than port days.

We're cruising the week before Memorial Day. Younger kids are still in school...does that mean we have a chance of getting some chairs poolside? :p

Some schools get out early in May- lots of families cruise during May. I doubt very much that it is kids hogging chairs anyways

On my last cruise, September 2003, I never had a problem finding a chair/lounger . . . my problem was finding one by the pool where I could watch all the "fun stuff" that goes on. I usually was out on deck after breakfast (around nine) . . . there were so many that would save from two to a dozen chairs right by the pool. Lots of books, towels, bags and items of clothing laid on chairs to save them . . . but not a lot of people until after noon. I never had the nerve to try and "adopt" one of these chairs because there always seemed to be one person there "guarding" the empty chairs. My solution (and it was easier for me because I was by myself) . . . I would take one of the chairs from a less desirable area (usually in the shade) and move it closer to the pool area. Occassionaly, I even had crew members move the chair/lounger for me . . . .

If somebody is saving chairs and I want to sit down, I just sit and tell them I will gladly move when the rest of their party arrives. Usually, I'm the one who leaves before anyone even shows up. The pool area is very popular; you will be able to find chairs in the more quiet areas. You can move them to wherever you want.

If somebody is saving chairs and I want to sit down, I just sit and tell them I will gladly move when the rest of their party arrives. Usually, I'm the one who leaves before anyone even shows up.

That's a very tactful way to address an annoying problem. Great idea, thanks.

This works every time, at least it does for me. Not sure if it works for everyone else. I decide what time I'm going to sit out on the deck. Sometimes it's early am, sometimes it's not until late morning or early afternoon. If I see a vacant chair, I grab it and park myself there. If I get there and then there are no chairs, then I don't sit by the deck, I either do something else or I find another place to sit. Like I said, can't comment for others but this has proven to be a 100% foolproof way for me to get a deck chair. Menina

I've read all the nasty posts about people who save them and aren't even *there* to use them...is it reallt THAT bad all the time? I'm not rolling myself out of bed at the crack of dawn to get a damn chair. is there any secret place that's less crowded or super-secret "chair vulture" technique involved in actually scoring a place to sunbathe? it's so nutty...you'd think with these huge ships there's be plenty of optimal space for such things. :confused:

How funny, I guess that because I am an early riser and DH sleeps in, I am up at the pool around 6:00 am (really) and I have a cup of coffee and then read my book for the day, I do save a chair for my DH as I know he will be coming up by 8:30 ish; I have never had anyone upset that he is sleeping in because at that time most chairs are still available.

However; if I noticed that a chair was not being used for a long period of time (and it is obvious) I ask the wiater to remove the belongings and then I take the chair, when they come back I simply tell them to speak with a waiter as their items are being cared for..........only had to do it once and the person had no response.

Enjoy the sun :)

Very interesting replies. We are early risers so we are at the pool by 9, watching people come out and "save" their chairs, returning later in the am. I would have no problem watching a empty chair for 1 hour, then if I want it, I sit in it.

Very interesting replies. We are early risers so we are at the pool by 9, watching people come out and "save" their chairs, returning later in the am. I would have no problem watching a empty chair for 1 hour, then if I want it, I sit in it.
My plan exactly....maybe half an hour though. No saving is the rule. The people that do that are the same kind of people that cut in lines or let other people do so, right in front of you at movies and such. I am always repectful of other's in public and I expect the same in return or, in cases like that, I am always sure to let them know how I feel about it in whatever way they decide I need to. Hogging seats when you're not there to use them and depriving other's of the right to have a place to relax is a disrespectful act and I have no problem telling them to take a hike. :D

No personal belongings, we just take them. When someone shows up a couple of hours later and complains we just say, towel what towel? I also like to go around picking up the towels when no ones looking and watching the chair hogs complain to those who took their seats. Always fun to watch.

i just *knew* you guys would have some creative ways to make the rude people have temper tantrums AND score myself a seat by the pool, LOL :D LOL Knowing myself, being as passive-aggressing as I am, I probably will end up collecting all the towels and watching the aftermath. ;)

Thanks to all for their input!

Last year in May on Explorer I did move a towel and sit in a chair about 2 rows back from the main pool. No one ever came to claim their towel. I just folded it up nicely and set in on the divider wall right behind the seat. I was there for about 2 hours...had a great time and I could see my husband and son playing in the pool.

Believe it or not, we spent a lot of time at the childrens pools at the back of the ship. Lots of deck chairs for the adults and child size deck chairs for the kids. Excellent sun...plenty of shade for the kids...2 slides (one big one and one small) and even one of those little shower mushrooms. It was really neat for the kids, they had a mini water park back there. Even a separate pool about 4 or 5 feet deep for the swimmers. There was hardly anyone ever back there. We really liked it and I didn't have to worry about my 5 year old at the time anoying anyone or getting trampled by the bigger kids who tend to be a little more rowdy from my experience and I'm sure when my son it older he will fall in that rowdy category too!!! All in all my pool chair experience was fine and the kids pool area was absolutely perfect.

Archived