How much money for cruise clothes is enough?

WeirdEyes

How much money for cruise clothes is enough?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How much money for cruise clothes is enough?

• Under $200
    • $200-$400
    • $500-$700
    • $800-$1,000
    • Over $1,000
    • None of your business ;)

I tend to shop year-round, but being from the north and usually cruise march, I like to sale shop in August when the fall stuff comes out(sale) and NOW as the first summer stuff comes out to get first dibs. Once you've been on a few cruises your clothes accumulate and you have to shop less . Although being a guy, my wife will tell you I can shop ( spend money ) with the best of them...LOL :D

I'm a huge fan of outlet malls. I'm in love with the Neiman Marcus Last Chance Clearance Center and Off 5th. It takes some time to find the good stuff, but it's worth it. I've bought several dresses in the $45-60 dollar range. I once bought a $275 pair of Kate Spade shoes for $70. I just bought a new purse for our next cruise for more than half off! I like the Ann Taylor Loft as well.

I'm fortunate to live in North Conway, NH and we have some great outlet stores. There is one in particular that I am hooked on. It's April Cornell. Right now I have 42 dresses from her in my closet plus tons of jackets, sweaters, blouses, sweaters and skirts. I admit it. I am a shopaholic. Most of her dresses and sweater retail for $89 to $150, but I have never spent more than $9.95 for any of them. They are really nice. I get an awful lot of compliments and enjoy wearing them. Also check eBay for auctions of her stuff. Most of the styles are very soft and flowy, some are fitted, some not. The fabrics are gorgeous!

I'm fortunate to live in North Conway, NH and we have some great outlet stores. There is one in particular that I am hooked on. It's April Cornell. Right now I have 42 dresses from her in my closet plus tons of jackets, sweaters, blouses, sweaters and skirts. I admit it. I am a shopaholic. Most of her dresses and sweater retail for $89 to $150, but I have never spent more than $9.95 for any of them. They are really nice. I get an awful lot of compliments and enjoy wearing them. Also check eBay for auctions of her stuff. Most of the styles are very soft and flowy, some are fitted, some not. The fabrics are gorgeous!

Wow! You are my idol! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:

I'm a huge bargain hunter and always buy cruise wear at the end of a season and get great deals. I found three formal gowns for $12 a piece at at Good Will store in Maine. I've found cocktail dresses at Macy's, JCPenny, Lord & Taylor, etc. for under $30. Since I only wear these type of clothes on a cruise I won't go crazy spending a lot of money. I love finding a bargain and it's so much better than paying over $200 for a dress/gown that I will only wear a few times.

Dont go crazy on cruise clothes. The cruise is only 7 days. I just lost 50 pounds so I had to update my wardrobe but how much do you need. 2 pair shorts, 2 capris, some tops. All these things can be worn to work in the spring and summer so they really aren't cruise clothes per say. They are things you will wear after the cruise also.

I buy on sale the summer before I go, and I'd guess I spend less than $100. Most of the stuff I need, I already have, I just bargain hunt for whatever I can find. I wear "cruiseline casual" clothes (khakis, blouses, capris) to work, so that's not a problem. I have 3-4 formal dresses in the closet that ONLY get worn on a cruise anymore, and I love long, flowy sundresses, so I have plenty of those for at night, too. During the day, I wear shorts or more casual skorts or capris, and I already have them. I'm always on the lookout for sexy, stappy sandals for formal nights that won't shred my feet, because I HATE uncomfortable shoes. Doesn't matter what time of year I find them, if they're on sale and comfortable, I get them.

One thing I NEVER do is try to shop for summer clothes in January or so, when the "cruisewear" starts coming out. It's insanely overpriced then, and rarely goes on sale. The only thing I've bought in late winter/early spring is a cardigan, because the one I had mysteriously vanished, and I needed one.

Sheila, as a part time professional shopper/stylist, you've gotten some great advice.

Have you recently lost weight?

My suggestion would be to pick a neutral color like black and build your wardrobe around that.j

Shop at all stores. High end, low end, consignment, etc.

Shop for fabrics. You will not find a well made garment made with cheap material.

When you find something that fits you well and that you love, buy it in several colors.

Splurge on good shoes and a good handbag.

Remember this: with good shoes and a good handbag no one will know you are wearing a $2 dress but cheap shoes and a cheap hangbag will make a $2,000 dress look cheap.

BlueHerons, yes, I've recently lost weight. I'm almost a size 10 and should be there before my cruise. I don't really want to spend too much on clothes because I really want to be a size 8. I'm not one to buy clothes that are too small and then try to lose to get into them. I normally wait until the new size actually fits. I agree with you about the shoes. I've learned that I do need to spend more on shoes, especially since the higher end shoes don't hurt my feet. I'm a sucker for a high-end handbag also. ;) Thanks for your advice.

I cannot remember where I've seen these, New York & Company maybe?? Anyway, linen drawstring pants and skirts may be a good fit for you. You can wear both to work in and play.

I saw some of these in the Chadwick's catalog and I love them! However, the ones in Chadwick's have elastic in the waist and I can't stand that. I'll look elsewhere. Great idea!! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with the camp that says buy stuff that you'll wear after the cruise. I lost 25 lbs. since last Summer, so I had some stuff to wear already. I didn't have anything for formal nights so we took advantage of after Christmas sales and got a couple of dresses at more than 50% off. Picked up a couple of wraps for 6-12 bucks each. One's beaded and the other's got a pretty eyelet design. I also picked up a little beaded handbag to go with both dresses, and also a pair of shoes. The nice thing about the dresses is that they're pretty much a timeless style so I can wear them for a while.

Picked up some cute tops for cheap too. Since they're pretty much seasonal items (the tops), I don't mind buying the cheaper ones and tossing them later on.

I got a bathing suit from newport news (one of the quick-dry ones - I love them!) and some board shorts from rainbow hawaii.com (hides the cottage cheese thighs lol and I like shorts better than whole coverups).

It's really nice to see that the "turista" skirts are back (I love vintage stuff) and though some are pricey, it's great to be able to get one that you know will fit, have no stains, and cost a lot less than the originals. Oh how I wish that Mexico would make those again! Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky when we're down there ;) (I can dream, can't I?)

I definitely believe in good shoes and purses, so I don't mind spending more for those things. Of course if they're on sale, all the better! With other stuff though, it differs. If it fits nicely and lasts a long time, I don't mind spending more. If it's a trendy piece, I'd rather buy it cheap because I won't be wearing it for years to come.

Hi Gals,

Has anyone mentioned Nordstrom Rack? Oh how I love it. It is a fabulous treasure hunt with brands like Tahari, Kate Spade, Coach, Ralph Lauren, Juicy Couture and all the Nordstrom brands like Caslon and Classiques jut waiting to be found and bought at a fraction of the retail price. I love the hunt and adore the bargains!

I am also a fan of Ebay but only when you know exactly how a brand fits you. For example, I love Banana Republic skirts but hate the prices. I always wear an 8 because they size big. I got 2 $108 each skirts for $40 total. They were brand new with the tags on. Nice!!

For cheaper, trendy stuff you can't beat Old Navy. You don't mind it not lasting if you only intended it for one season and it was cheap.

Enjoy the shopping. I know I am.

A:D

I love this thread! I shop the way I decorate my home. I find a great quality piece that I LOVE, it may be full priced, it may be a bargain and then I work around it. It's amazing the high end looks you can achieve with little $.

I have been shopping for spring the last few days and received quite a few comments on my outfits. They were bargains:

Outfit 1:

Brown Talbots dress pants: Thrift Store $4

Chartreuse cotton sweater with criss crossneck: Kohls: $2.75

Brown macrame flat: Thrift Store: $2

Hot pink trench: AJ Wright: $20

For less than $30 I got an outfit that was very trendy and up to date! I get comments on the $20 coat all the time. The color, cut and lining make it look like a very high end item.

Outfit 2:

Stained Glass print cotton pants: Talbot outlet $20

T Old Navy $7

Pink cardigan: Kohls: $3

Pink loafer style mules: Famous Footwear $17

The look was very Lilly Pullitzer. A t-shirt alone in Lilly would cost more than the whole outfit!

I'm focussing on accessories now. Just picked up some funky crystal jewelry at JC Penny for under $5 and a great little stylish purse at and off price store for $3.

AJ Wright is a store owned by the TJX company that owns TJ Maxx and Marshalls. One thing I learned is in the higher income areas, they have higher quality and more brand name merchandise. Helps to hit thrift stores in those same areas! :D

Hi Girls:

I have never had so much fun shopping for a vacation!

My sister and I were going to do a girls minivacation in London for our birthdays but decided to skip that and go with our families on a cruise. We booked our cruise ( Star Princesss-4/17/05) last spring so at the end of the summer last year I started my shopping. I find Sears has a great selection of Lands End clothing that I think is perfect for cruising. The bathing suits are are so forgiving and have all kinds of mix and match coverups and seperates and the sportswear comes in all great bright spring colors and you can mix and match those as well. And they have great sea to shore watershoes that can be worn for workouts and at the beach. So glad I didnt go to London, I would have had to by all Black!

I am not keeping track of what I spend, though. It is too scary! But after adding the cruise, airfare and wardrobe up lets just say I could have put in that new bathroom we kind of needed!

:D :D :cool:

I spend differing amounts for each cruise. It depends on what I have, what size I am and what I want to wear. I sew a lot of my own clothes and will be attempting to design my own formal gowns this time.. Which means I will be spending a chunck of the summer beading a hem!!! I also shop at Sym's which is a discount place. I have had great luck there. I own a gorgeous Victor Costa cocktail dress that I picked up for a song and a simply amazing Bob Mackie that was origanally $600.00 that I picked up for $60.00!!! I have not worn it yet tho.. I am thinking about it but it's a ballgown and I like something sleeker. We will see how well the sewing goes.

I LOVE dressing up!!!

My suggestion would be to pick a neutral color like black and build your wardrobe around that.j

Shop at all stores. High end, low end, consignment, etc.

Shop for fabrics. You will not find a well made garment made with cheap material.

When you find something that fits you well and that you love, buy it in several colors.

Splurge on good shoes and a good handbag.

Remember this: with good shoes and a good handbag no one will know you are wearing a $2 dress but cheap shoes and a cheap hangbag will make a $2,000 dress look cheap.

Blue Herons,

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Totally agree with all your points.

I'm not a thrift store shopper. I guess the idea of wearing someone elses clothes gives me the "willy's", though I do like the vintage houseware items.

However, when I go to Paris, I like to go to the consignment shops in the 16th, (the chic-est district) and look for accessories. Often the women who live in this area won't wear last year's styles. I bought the C. Dior "Admit It" black leather belt for $100. this past fall and I had been wanting it since the prior fall and wasn't willing to pay $450. for it. Score! :)

Jane

I saw some of these in the Chadwick's catalog and I love them! However, the ones in Chadwick's have elastic in the waist and I can't stand that. I'll look elsewhere. Great idea!! Thanks!

I am so pissed with Chadwicks I do not recomend them anymore. I bought a suede skirt back in the fall- great price $50. I also used a 20% off coupon. Well the skirt was too big. I bought a 12 because my waist will measure close to 30 inches at night and by their charts a size 12 was a 29 inch waist. Well the skirt was TOO BIG. I mailed it back which cost me $9 because ofcourse I insured it as things will get lost in the mail and exchanged it for a 10. Well guess what the 10 was too big too.

If that was not enough of a headache they also did not give me the 20% off with the exchange. (they like did a refund on my credit card and then put the charge back on it-instead of making it an even exchange) Anyway I have been fighting with them since Nov. about the 20% coupon. They keep saying it will be credited back on my card but it has never happened-and I keep calling. I finially asked them to just send me a refund check and they said no by law it has to go on my credit card-which I have already paid off. (Heck this is 5 months later)

Anyway to make a long story short-I won't be buying anything from Chadwicks. They sent me a 40% off coupon (because I have been complaining so much) but I wouldn't use it. Now it is just the principle. To me their customer service is louzy. Heck I wish I had just spent $100 or whatever it cost on that suede skirt in the mall. At least then I would know if it fit or not and I would also know what I really paid-I am tired of these places playing games with me. With all the exchanges etc. that $50 skirt cost me $70 with the cost of mailing and the orginal shipping and handling they charged.

Blue Herons,

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Totally agree with all your points.

I'm not a thrift store shopper. I guess the idea of wearing someone elses clothes gives me the "willy's", though I do like the vintage houseware items.

However, when I go to Paris, I like to go to the consignment shops in the 16th, (the chic-est district) and look for accessories. Often the women who live in this area won't wear last year's styles. I bought the C. Dior "Admit It" black leather belt for $100. this past fall and I had been wanting it since the prior fall and wasn't willing to pay $450. for it. Score! :)

Jane

Jane most of us bargain hunters bargain hunt because of our income level. those of us who shop thrift stores and consignment shops do this in the good ole USA as Paris is just a dream for us or perhaps if we are really lucky a once in a lifetime trip.

If I had your income I would not thrift store shop either. Not that I do much anyway. I hit the stores and buy my stuff off season and clearance-as I get better prices there then the thrift store. And when I do occasionially buy from a thrift store-the first thing that happens is that it gets washed in my machine or it goes to the cleaners. I would never ever buy underwear, sheets, or bath towels at a thrift store no matter how much I might need something and back years ago there were times when we were pretty needy. I can remember stripping my bed, washing my sheets (the only set I had-cr^&py 180 thread things with peals all over them) and putting them back on my bed.

I will tell you one sad thing though. A couple of years ago I went in an upscale department store and bought a straw sun hat for my Bermuda cruise. Four days later I went to get my hair cut and the hair dresser found HEAD LICE in my hair. (she said I just barely had them so her guess was I had been infected within the last week) I was so embarrassed-I felt like dying- Here I was getting close to 50 yrs old and I have my first deal with that- never had had them before- but that taught me-you can pick up stuff anywhere. I am almost 100% sure I got them from that hat. I guess someone had tried it on in the store before me. I ended up donating that hat to a thrift store ( I did the thing where you tie it up in a plastic bag for a month first-did not want to infect someone else) as I would never wear it again.

Hi Gals,

For cheaper, trendy stuff you can't beat Old Navy. You don't mind it not lasting if you only intended it for one season and it was cheap.

Enjoy the shopping. I know I am.

A:D

My problem with Old Navy is it does not last one season. Once it is washed it looks like cr^&p. to me there is cheap (I can bargain hunt with the best) and there's CHEEP. Old Navy qualifies as CHEEP.

Jane most of us bargain hunters bargain hunt because of our income level. those of us who shop thrift stores and consignment shops do this in the good ole USA as Paris is just a dream for us or perhaps if we are really lucky a once in a lifetime trip.

If I had your income I would not thrift store shop either. Not that I do much anyway. I hit the stores and buy my stuff off season and clearance-as I get better prices there then the thrift store. And when I do occasionially buy from a thrift store-the first thing that happens is that it gets washed in my machine or it goes to the cleaners.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Its not always about income level that makes a person choose to shop thrift stores or be a bargain shopper. There is the love a getting a great price on an item. Me personally I don't like thrift shops for clothing but have picked up great housewares. Like Jane I live in NYC and for us bargain shopping is buying staples at the end of the season, going to discount stores, consignment stores and I love sample sales.:D . With the airfare discounts it is often cheaper to fly to Europe than Fl. (if you go on a cruise then Europe is not a dream as you can find great packages or travel off season)

And I am a proud bargain hunter! For work I do a lot of client entertaining and have to wear suits and formal attire quite often so I am always on the lookout for well made clothing that I may pay more initially but will keep for years. I don't buy at old navy because I won't have it past the initial season and it doesn't hang right on me.

Jane where did you score the belt.

momofmeg,

I'm going to have to kindly disagree on Old Navy being cheep. It all depends on what you buy there. Denim is denim. All my sons jeans, my denim jackets and denim skirts come from the Navy and they have lasted forever. Their sweatpants and shirts are great, rubber thongs and cotton tees and tanks also are great.

I think when you move into the synthetic teen type garments and the pseudo dressy clothes they are definitely cheep and poorly made.

I am wearing a cotton Old Navy cargo skirt from last summer as I type this and after many washings it still looks great!

Just one girls opinion.:D

A

Archived