Just returned from Grand Cayman Islands

ravebomb

Grand Cayman Islands. This was our first time to this island, and the waters were very rough and you could not get into the ocean, it was a red flag day at the beach, so most water activities were cancelled. The island is very small and flat, not alot to do unless you like to walk thru store after store of the same items. We had planned a day at the beach and snorkeling, neither we were able to do because of the waters so we opted for a private tour of the island which was very boring as there was not alot to see. We kept asking our driver to show us the different beach areas but he just continued to take us thru the areas of homes and banks. It does not take long to tour the island and we were taken to areas of no interest to us, so we were returned to the shopping area and dropped off. We did not stay on the island very long and when we went back to take the small boat back to the ship we had to wait for over an hour for a boat to get back. There were five ships in port and getting back to the ship was a nightmare. We were not able to port in the normal place due to the rough waters so where we ported everybody had to take taxis at the last minute to get to the shopping and beach areas. So we had additional costs of taxi two ways, that we had planned to do everything in walking distance and when the ships changed where they ported it kinda messed up the plans we had made ahead of time. the ship was late leaving Grand Cayman by 2 hours due to the passengers not being able to get back to the ship on time.

Please try GC again sometime. You were in port on a difficult day, and your guide obviosly didn't show you the best of their island. Sorry you had a less than pleasant day. The island is beautiful. Yes not being able to anchor at Georgetown puts a strain on everyone. Please go back.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm schedule to be in Cayman last week in May. My mom was there a few years ago with a ship. She had the Atlantis submarine scheduled and it was cancelled due to the rough waters. How often does this happen? She's going on the cruise with me in May and is trying for the submarine again. I would hate for it to be cancelled again:( I'm planning on going to Stingray City. How often would they cancel that??

Archived