Advise on Belize??

gagirl

My husband and I are not planning doing an excurison at Cayman Island I was wondering what there is to do? Is the any shops with-in walking distance / a particular beach area we should see? I don't mind paying a taxi if there is a better area to shop / site see / or have a drink at a cool place??.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated...THANKS!

(We done the cave tubing last time)

My husband and I are not planning doing an excurison at Cayman Island I was wondering what there is to do? Is the any shops with-in walking distance / a particular beach area we should see? I don't mind paying a taxi if there is a better area to shop / site see / or have a drink at a cool place??.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated...THANKS!

(We done the cave tubing last time)

if you went cave tubing, then you'll recall in Belize you tender into an area called the Tourist Village. There are shops there. The shopping outside the tourist village is geared more to locals and is a ten to fifteen minute walk outside the Tourist Village and across the swing bridge. Unlike Grand Cayman (Belize is not an island, nor part of the Caymans) there are no beaches in the immediate vicinity of the tender pier. There are a couple of bars in the TV, notably the Wet Lizard known for it's conch fritters and cold Belikan beer. Just outside the TV to your right and toward the lighthouse is the Smokey mermaid restuarant in the Radisson hotel there.You can, if you're willing to endure the host of aggressive vendors, hire a horse and buggy/jitney cart and take a tour of Belize City.

we just returned yesterday from our w. caribbean HAL cruise, which included Belize. we hired rudolpho cocom to drive us around belize for the day. he charged us $100, and it was the best money we spent on the trip! he was right there at the port waiting for us (which was helpful because there were tons of parasites swarming on us at the port trying to solicit business), so his calm face was a delight among all those pirates. he was knowledgeable, friendly, very talkative (and on topic), had a comfortable air conditioned vehicle. he went into the zoo and belize museum to give us a personalized tour of both places. he was patient with our rambunctious 7 yr old twin boys. he will take you anywhere you want to go, for as long as you want.

his website is

belizetaxi dot net

you can email me at tchrchgo at hotmail dot com for more info!

Sidra

• 2 weeks later...
On our Belize stop, we hired a horse carriage driver who took us all around the city and explained alot about Belize. $30 for all six of us--great deal--and he even took these pictures for us...

th_DSC02217.jpg th_DSC02216.jpg th_DSC02215.jpg

Would you tell me more about your tour please? How long did last. What did you see? Did you feel safe? What was Belize City like?

Our horse carriage tour lasted about 90 minutes. We felt completely safe. Belize City is something between modern and old. There is one traffice light in the entire city. We saw lots of homes--new and old--priced around $125,000. The streets are paved, but few curbs. We passed by a shool and saw the children playing. We stopped at a neighborhood store and bought cokes and Belikin beer. We had read alot about not going beyong the tourist area in Belize, but found the city to be a safe place. The people are very friendly. They speak as you pass by. English is the primary language. We did see quite a few homeless on the streets. If you have not finished your beer or coke, they will gladly take it. After our carriage tour, we walked back into the city and shopped. We found an Internet cafe with fast access in a mall. So while some went shopping, the kids went on Facebook. It was $1.25 per half-hour...very reasonable and much less than on the ship.

Also interested in info . Where did you find carriage ride, a tour operator. In New Orleans one goes to Jackson Square and talks to driver. Hagle price and off you go.

Thanks Karlie1

Yes. Go thru the main mall at the dock where you tender to. Out the back where the tout buses are--there you will find the horse carriages. Talk to the driver about number in your party, price, and what you will see and do. See my previous posts above. Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think there would be a horse carriage that would need one person? I will be exploring by myself and wondering what to do. The tour you talk about sounds just right for me.

Are there shops near by? Or local shops? I'd maybe walk around a little if it was safe to do so by yourself. I live in a big city so know to take precautions as needed.

Jane

Do you think there would be a horse carriage that would need one person? I will be exploring by myself and wondering what to do. The tour you talk about sounds just right for me.

Are there shops near by? Or local shops? I'd maybe walk around a little if it was safe to do so by yourself. I live in a big city so know to take precautions as needed.

Jane

You'll probably find one. Maybe check your Roll Call and see if other single travelers or even a couple would be interested in joining you. Most shops outside the Tourist Village are geared toward locals, but there are places. Your driver can assist you if there's something specific. Just be advised, that the hawkers for these and other tours do gang up on you once you exit the Tourist Village, this is off-putting for many cruisers. Ignore them and head toward an interesting looking cart. Most of the drivers are very friendly and willing to help. If possible go to the St John's Church and the Cultural Center across the street from the church. You can see the Cultual Center from the tender on the way in, Used to be the Governors Mansion and has old cannons and a Yacht on display. Lots of British colony artifacts.

Jane

If there is not a small carriage, check to see if you can join another group going in a large one like we had. The people are very friendly and English is the primary language. You should find something for you once you get there.

There are shops in the tourist area. DW and DGDs found several with the purses they were looking for. Belize City is fairly safe. The locals speak to you as you walk by. Everyone we saw was very friendly. We stayed on the main streets when walking. You do pass by homeless and those selling stuff on blankets in between buildings. In fact, DW bought a James Patterson book for $2 from a woman selling small items on a sheet next to the sidewalk. The kids would hand their unfinished soft drinks to street people--they were glad to get it.

Hope you have a great cruise.

=Bob=

My advice would be to book whatever excursion you decide through the ship. Otherwise, based on my experience, you'll get screwed by the tendering process. Last time we were in Belize, we arrived around 730 am and were in Group 1. Did not get off of the ship until 1015 am ( NCL Spirit - what a joke). Also, some excursion companies will not even allow you to book through them if you are on a NCL ship due to the fact that NCL has the most unorganized slow tendering process on the business.

• 4 weeks later...
we just returned yesterday from our w. caribbean HAL cruise, which included Belize. we hired rudolpho cocom to drive us around belize for the day. he charged us $100, and it was the best money we spent on the trip! he was right there at the port waiting for us (which was helpful because there were tons of parasites swarming on us at the port trying to solicit business), so his calm face was a delight among all those pirates. he was knowledgeable, friendly, very talkative (and on topic), had a comfortable air conditioned vehicle. he went into the zoo and belize museum to give us a personalized tour of both places. he was patient with our rambunctious 7 yr old twin boys. he will take you anywhere you want to go, for as long as you want.

his website is

belizetaxi dot net

Sidra

"Tons of parasites swarming on us" What a condescending and hateful comment to make about people trying to earn an honest living. Shame on you! Yes there are people trying to sell you tours, but I would hardly call them parasites. A simple no thanks is all it takes.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you tell me more about finding this mall with the internet access? My brother is going to be with us and I'm sure will be having "withdrawals" from not having his internet! lol. I'm sure he would be VERY happy if we could provide him with some internet time. Thanks!!!

Our horse carriage tour lasted about 90 minutes. We felt completely safe. Belize City is something between modern and old. There is one traffice light in the entire city. We saw lots of homes--new and old--priced around $125,000. The streets are paved, but few curbs. We passed by a shool and saw the children playing. We stopped at a neighborhood store and bought cokes and Belikin beer. We had read alot about not going beyong the tourist area in Belize, but found the city to be a safe place. The people are very friendly. They speak as you pass by. English is the primary language. We did see quite a few homeless on the streets. If you have not finished your beer or coke, they will gladly take it. After our carriage tour, we walked back into the city and shopped. We found an Internet cafe with fast access in a mall. So while some went shopping, the kids went on Facebook. It was $1.25 per half-hour...very reasonable and much less than on the ship.

Could you please give me more info on finding the mall with the internet cafe? My brother will be with us and I'm sure will be having internet "withdrawal" symptoms by the time we get to Belize. Sitting in the cafe while the girls shop would make him VERY happy!! (As you mentioned, the ships rates are just way too expensive.) Thanks again!!

My advice would be to book whatever excursion you decide through the ship. Otherwise, based on my experience, you'll get screwed by the tendering process. Last time we were in Belize, we arrived around 730 am and were in Group 1. Did not get off of the ship until 1015 am ( NCL Spirit - what a joke). Also, some excursion companies will not even allow you to book through them if you are on a NCL ship due to the fact that NCL has the most unorganized slow tendering process on the business.

OMG ! what is it with ncl. we were on spirit jan a year ago and same thing. they are the only line that seems to have this problem. they really need to get it together.

• 2 weeks later...
Could you please give me more info on finding the mall with the internet cafe? My brother will be with us and I'm sure will be having internet "withdrawal" symptoms by the time we get to Belize. Sitting in the cafe while the girls shop would make him VERY happy!! (As you mentioned, the ships rates are just way too expensive.) Thanks again!!

I know we walked from the tourist village and over the river bridge, then down the street on the right side about 2-3 blocks. It was one of those with a straight walkway thru the building and out the other end. There were shops on either side of the walkway. The Internet cafe was adjacent to a bakery. Sorry I can't be of more help than that. We walked all over downtown that day. Good Luck.

his website is

belizetaxi dot net

Sidra

I DID find him online and sent a email thanks

Susette

Archived