Tapas review

steveaaaa

We were in Costa maya last week 1/19 and we went to Tapas.In my prior postings with them http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=112675

I asked and was promised an umbrella.Well when we got there,the waiter told me they had none but dragged two tables together in a somewhat shaded area near a massage set up. I was fine in the shade,but I did count on the umbrella.

Their beach area was nice and the massage tables were only a few feet away.The beach area is across the street from the actual tapas building.The tapas building does have a palm covered seating area upstairs.

The food is real mexican so be prepared if you order it.The hamburger is not wht you are used to in the states. It was excellent ( I took a bite of my daughters). I had the garlic shrimp and it was also excellent.The food is real good and the beverages and pricing was very reasonable to me. I would go back.

Another issue to some people in my party were the rest rooms or should I say rest room. It had a modern toilet,yet you cannot flush any paper down it and it had NO seat. They kept cleaning it what seemed like every 15 minutes.It was super clean all the time.If they just put a seat on it,it would have scored a perfect 10 from me as far as mexico is concerned.

The staff was very friendly and it was a decent place to spend a few hours.

Steve

Glad to see you are back! I've got a picture of you on the beach at Tapas, from where we were eating in the shaded area above the building! Small world, eh?

I will scan it in and email it to you.

Our experience at Tapas went something like this:

Amir met us on the street and directed us to a table upstairs. We ordered drinks, nachos, and deep-fried lobster. We also met Edgar, who delivered our first round of drinks to us. The food was great and like Steve says, it is true Mexican food.

As for the bathroom, the ladies in our group used the bathroom at the school buildings, and the seat missing was one less thing for me to worry about :D !

We loved our visit to Mahahual and I will post a more extensive review of our whole day soon.

Bob

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the review. ABout what time did you get to Tapa's that all of the umbrella's were taken?

Thanks,

Christine

Hi Christine,

We got there around lunch time and I don't think it was a matter of them all being taken, I actually did not really see any other than 1 in the center of a table.I thought it was odd,but putting my behind the tree's in a shaded area worked out.There is a second floor terrace above Tapas that was shaded well if you need it.It has a thatched roof on it.

Steve

What other restaurants have tables with umbrellas on the beach. That is what we are looking for. Too much sun and we burn. Good place to sit in the shade and enjoy the view.

We were told Tapas had tables with umbrellas on the beach.

What other restaurants have tables with umbrellas on the beach. That is what we are looking for. Too much sun and we burn. Good place to sit in the shade and enjoy the view.

We were told Tapas had tables with umbrellas on the beach.

The whole beach side of the street had restaurants and many had thatched roofs over them. If I were to go again, I would get off at the edge of town and use the first place I came to.They also rent jet ski's here so this is how you can locate them.They had every table shaded and the best rest rooms on the strip.

Steve

Guest Time2gocruzn

Hey Steve, thanks for the review! When you say next time you would stop off at the first place, the one that had jet skis, would that be Tequilla beach or was it further down? I found this map http://www.*****/html/mahahual.htm after I read your review and it made me wonder if you meant Tequilla or the first place further down on the "strip" of bars/businesses. :confused: Thanks! Christie

Hey Steve, thanks for the review! When you say next time you would stop off at the first place, the one that had jet skis, would that be Tequilla beach or was it further down? I found this map www.*****/html/mahahual.htm after I read your review and it made me wonder if you meant Tequilla or the first place further down on the "strip" of bars/businesses. :confused: Thanks! Christie

Hi Christie,

It was further down. When you get into town, which is really only 1 street the first place you come to is Tequilla beach club. After tequilla it is about 600 feet until you come to the actual town or a large grouping of buildings.It is at this point it is the first place on the left (and their building on the right) and you will see the Jet ski desk and Jet ski's.

I just took a look at the map and it is the first in the grouping. I tried your link and it seems to be a dead end, the link is from within a page.I had to go to http://www.*****

first and then I choose Mahahual Map

Steve

The whole beach side of the street had restaurants and many had thatched roofs over them. If I were to go again, I would get off at the edge of town and use the first place I came to.They also rent jet ski's here so this is how you can locate them.They had every table shaded and the best rest rooms on the strip.

Steve

The place is called Mahahual Water Park. Great food and drinks as well as water sports.

When you come into the town of Mahahual you will pass Tequilla beach, then as store then an undeveloped lot a large private home and the first place on the right and the left as far as that goes is Mahahual Water Park. If you or any one else would like more info feel free to email me and I will be glad to send it.

Guest Time2gocruzn
I tried your link and it seems to be a dead end, the link is from within a page.I had to go to http://www.*****

first and then I choose Mahahual Map

Steve

That is exactly the map I was looking at, lol, not sure why the link ddn't work. Thanks for the info...sounds nice there! Geesh! You have helped me several times on these boards (7a ? on the Carnival board, and other times too)...you should start charging, lol!!:D

steveaaaa or someone else: Could you tell me about the jet skis for Rent? We will be there in about 5 weeks. We have 6 in our party that want to rent skis but would like to do it together. Can somone tell me how much they are and if I can reserve them in advance?

Thanks

Jeff

steveaaaa or someone else: Could you tell me about the jet skis for Rent? We will be there in about 5 weeks. We have 6 in our party that want to rent skis but would like to do it together. Can somone tell me how much they are and if I can reserve them in advance?

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

They had 4 jet ski's and they take you out with a guide past the reef and then you do your own thing.The guide justs hangs around out there until your time is up. I paid $35 for a half hour and no you cannot reserve in advance of your sailing but when you get there you can book them for later while you go eat or shop.

Steve

We will be going to Mahahual in March & wanted a rather quiet, relaxing beach. Am a bit put off by postings about how crowded & small the beach is in Mahahual. Is there a more deserted beach area that is nice, but not frequented by so many people? Actually, we had intended to go on Celebity's fly fishing excursion, but I guess it is not being offerred because we will not be in port very long. It was not an option on our cruise document papers. Thanks

We will be going to Mahahual in March & wanted a rather quiet, relaxing beach. Am a bit put off by postings about how crowded & small the beach is in Mahahual. Is there a more deserted beach area that is nice, but not frequented by so many people? Actually, we had intended to go on Celebity's fly fishing excursion, but I guess it is not being offerred because we will not be in port very long. It was not an option on our cruise document papers. Thanks

Yes,

Go to Tequila beach club.Since it is the first building and away from town (before) no one seems to go there.It was empty so we left.They had food,booze and beach but thats all.10 minute walk and your in town.

Steve

Archived