Snorkeling Newbie

navybaby1113

I've never been snorkeling before, so I don't know what to expect. So any tips or tricks you can give me would be great. We're going in either Cozumel or Belize.

Not that much to tell you. If you have not already discovered it, you will float really well in salt water. The more you relax, the better you will float. If you have facial hair, you will need some vaseline to make sure your mask gets a good seal. When you fit your mask, make sure it is snug but not overly tight as it will get much tighter when you dive (if you dive). Get you r mask wet then spit on the inside glass, rub it around and clean it out with water. sounds gross but it works well. Ask for the newsee snorkel which has the valve at the bottom and allows the water to purge itself by its own weight. Always amek sure you save enough air to clear your rnokel if have the older type. Good fins make all the difference. Use your legs from the hips rather than from the knees. Slow and steady is the way to go. And make sure you are with others who are more expeienced. But the most important thing of all is to just have fun. Snorkeling is the best way to go.

Enjoy your trip!!

Kenn

If you're going to use the equipment provided on the excursiopns it may not be top notch equipment. I have my own gear so I ALWAYS know whose mouth the snorkel was in last. Some boats have souvenir snorkels, others re-use the same one in between a bleach or detergent wash.

A good fitting mask will stay on your face when you bend over and breathe in slightly through your nose. I have snorkeled and dove in Cozumel too many times to cound and it is incredible. I hope to make it to Roatan and Belize in the next few years.

If you have your own mask and snorkel, it would be good for you to practice in the bath tub, or in the pool on the ship on one of your sea days. if you are comfortable with using the snorkel and mask in the pool or bath tub, and you know you have a good seal (mask doesn't leak) then you will enjoy the snorkeling more. If you don't have a chance to practice, you will still have a great time, it might take a little while to be comfortable with the equipment.

If you have your own mask and snorkel, it would be good for you to practice in the bath tub, or in the pool on the ship on one of your sea days. if you are comfortable with using the snorkel and mask in the pool or bath tub, and you know you have a good seal (mask doesn't leak) then you will enjoy the snorkeling more. If you don't have a chance to practice, you will still have a great time, it might take a little while to be comfortable with the equipment.

I know exactly what you mean about practice. I went for the first time in Antigua, off a boat. I didn't adapt very well. I think it would have been better if I had been able to practice in shallower waters. Still, I hope to try it again.

Any good snorkelling in Grand Turk, anyone?

I've never been snorkeling before, so I don't know what to expect. So any tips or tricks you can give me would be great. We're going in either Cozumel or Belize.

I was needlessly nervous the 1st time. The only thing that was surprising to me was that the flippers are bouyant making it hard to "stand" upright. As soon as I accepted my feet floating up everything was a breeze.

Have a great time snorkeling is amazing!:)

Archived