Do you think Royal is worth extra cost over Carnival??

Niquein99

Wow, I can't believe how much my initial thread has taken off! :) There's some really good comparison info here. Thanks!

I FINALLY decided this week! :p We're going to try the Freedom class on our next cruise. Its a toss up between an 8-day on RCCL Liberty of the Seas or a 7-day on Freedom of the Seas. Ofcourse, I'm leaning towards the 8-day sailing...! :D

I figured since we're doing the Carnival Dream in September, it'd be nice to try a different line with my son and see how we like the Freedom class of ships. Having already been on RCCL Jewel of the Seas, I'm already familiar with the product RCCL puts out.

Besides, variety is the spice of life! ;)

Ok, I'll have to disagree. Sort of. It depends greatly on the ship and the amenities that particular ship has, and what you like to do. My kids have enjoyed the Carnival cruises we have done just as much as the Royal Caribbean ones. In fact, they were asking to do a Carnival again when we were planning our next one, because Carnival always has some kind of water slide. So I think it depends on the ship, the class of ship, and what activities your kids enjoy. Carnival has free 24-hour pizza too, and we feel like drink and snacks are more available on Carnival ships. We love the Johnny Rockets, though, and it's $4.95 for all you care to eat. We don't eat at our local one because it's too expensive.

Just my opinion... I loved the Freedom and would do it again in a heartbeat. I am just not cut out to be a Carnival fan. Sorry, I have tried them twice and I was just not impressed. Royal Caribbean all the way !!! ;):)

Hey Janey. It's me Janice :)

I'll throw in my 2 cents (ha ha ha As if I could stop there!! :p).

So... for our family, the answer is 'no'. I'm pretty much the travel planner of my family (:eek:), and I started cruising in 1975, when the children's 'program' consisted of a room with a few tables and some craft supplies. There may have been a supervisor of some kind... I dunno, I was never there. :) I did have an absolutely incredible time doing other things, though - enjoying the beautiful weather and scenery, treading water in the one postage-stamp-sized pool, dancing on deck to the steel drum band, reading, and socializing (quietly and respectfully) with the other half a dozen or so kids on board. Knowing what a great time I had on those tiny vessels with their complete lack of family-oriented amenities, if my daughter ever told me there wasn't enough to do on any ship afloat these days, I'd be stunned and I have to say pretty disappointed as well.

So far, she's been thrilled every time, so I'm happy to keep bringing her along. It may be different for kids who live where there are amusement parks or who aren't just darned happy to be escaping -40 temperatures, but for us just being somewhere that we don't need to wear our parkas is such a great start that it doesn't take much to make the rest of the vacation fantastic! :) As a result, I shop for cruises based more on itinerary and cost than the line itself, so if I were choosing between RCL and Carnival, the less expensive choice would win every time - and we'd spend the difference in port, shopping, dining - or however else we wanted. :)

Ok, I'll have to disagree. Sort of. Carnival has free 24-hour pizza too, and we feel like drink and snacks are more available on Carnival ships.

The OP was asking about Freedom of the Seas -- which does have Sorrento's Pizza -- which is free and doesn't shut down until 3am -- that's open long enough for me. :D

II started cruising in 1975, when the children's 'program' consisted of a room with a few tables and some craft supplies. There may have been a supervisor of some kind... I dunno, I was never there. :) I did have an absolutely incredible time doing other things, though - enjoying the beautiful weather and scenery, treading water in the one postage-stamp-sized pool, dancing on deck to the steel drum band, reading, and socializing (quietly and respectfully) with the other half a dozen or so kids on board. Knowing what a great time I had on those tiny vessels with their complete lack of family-oriented amenities, if my daughter ever told me there wasn't enough to do on any ship afloat these days, I'd be stunned and I have to say pretty disappointed as well.

:)

That is so funny - and so true. I also cruised as a child before "kid clubs" and always had an amazing time. AND that was when if you wanted to eat on a ship, you got dressed and went to the dining room at your set time for breakfast, lunch and dinner and besides that, there was a midnight buffet - no 24 hour dining. I also shop by itinerary and price and my twins always have a fun time, but boy we're all looking forward to our first RCCL cruise together - my last on Royal was when the Rhapsody was the top of the line :rolleyes:

Best,

Mia

Archived