Marriage License

susiedag

Royal Caribbean told me I needed to bring my marriage license to show why my name was different on my Cruise ticket from my birth certificate. My drivers license shows the same name as my cruise ticket, so has anyone ever had to show there marriage license? I will be sailing on the Mariner out of Port Canaveral. Thanks

We just sailed two weeks ago and when the travel agency called all of us to let us know that we needed it I thought the same thing because I never needed it. Everyone's birth certificate has their maiden name on it-no one is born with their married name:D The agency said they just received a fax about this.

Just to be safe many of us in the group got a certified copy from the courthouse and when we went to pick them up they had stacks and stacks of them there. They said they have received hundreds of calls requesting them for travel. In fact the courthouse raised the price from $5 to $10 because of this(always looking for a way to make money)Apparently they need to see exactly how your name was changed and if you were married more than once you need all of them to show the name changes. We had 27 in our group and a couple of us were asked for ours at the pier but most were not. Some were asked what their maiden names were and other questions like that. It is definatley a new thing. I went and got my passport pictures taken so I won't have to worry about it in the future.

I hope this helps:)

The way it was explained to me by an RC rep is if your maiden name is on your DL (instead of middle name), they don't question you. If Mary Sue Smith married Davy Jones, she could update her DL to read "Mary Smith Jones" to show both names. If she updates it as "Mary Sue Jones", then there could be a question about the identity and you need the marriage certificate.

I decided it's easier to get a passport.

Never had a problem because I have a passport. If you cruise often enough or plan on traveling outside of the country . . . you should think about one. It eliminates the problem of the birth certificate/married name thing.

I would bring it...really it is just better to be safe than sorry.

My passport is still in my maiden name, so I booked the res in my maiden name. I wish I had had time to change my passport for this trip, but oh well. I think they should be making sure that names are the same, you know? I feel safer knowing they do that anyway...I'm weird though, lol.

Bring the marriage license just in case. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

And you might want to seriously consider getting a passport. In these crazy times of idenitiy theft, terrorism, etc., I am glad to have a second form of government issued photo ID. And who knows when security concerns are going to make them change the rules?

Hope I don't sound too paranoid ....:rolleyes:

I just booked our cruise for Oct. last week and was told that I would need to bring by marriage license also. My drivers license has all my names(first, middle,maiden and married) so I really shouldn't have a problem, but I will take my license just in case because we are driving 12-14hrs to Port Canaveral and I dont want there to be a problem.

If you have time till your sailing this would be a prime opportunity to get your passport. A passport is the ultimate picture ID, you will never run into these situations again. If you don't have time, definitely bring the license with you. The ship will leave you right at the pier without proper ID.

This is our 7th cruise and I have never taken our ML with us but I guess I'm on my way to the bank to get our ML out of the safe deposit box...I don't want a simple thing like NOT taking the ML with us to ruin my cruise....thanks for the "heads up":)

Archived