Cash Tip Better?

k2

Do the crew prefer cash? Is there lag time for their tip? Do they get the full amount, or does Carnival take out fees? I have always tipped cash on RCI so this auto tip is new to me. If it is advantageous to the crew, I will remove the auto tip and give them cash! Thanks!

The crew gets 100% of the tips whether it's cash or otherwise.

Yes, but...Auto tips are prorated among different crew categories. Each person on the list gets a set amount. If you remove autotips, and choose to pay in cash, the person you give cash to must pool that money and it is divided at the same ratio that the autotip would have been. So you aren't doing the crew member any favor. You may choose to give them a tip above the autotip, and that they can keep. EM

Yes, but...Auto tips are prorated among different crew categories. Each person on the list gets a set amount. If you remove autotips, and choose to pay in cash, the person you give cash to must pool that money and it is divided at the same ratio that the autotip would have been. So you aren't doing the crew member any favor. You may choose to give them a tip above the autotip, and that they can keep. EM

You are completely incorrect. Stop making things up.

Wrong.........

Also from what I understand (may be incorrect) the crew members get "called in" and asked why the auto tip was removed. I think supervisors assume they must of made you unhappy if you removed the tip.

You also have THE LIST which a photo of was posted on here. Lists all the people on the cruise that removed the auto tip. Sorry but I wouldn't want my cooks, the person cleaning my room etc to know I removed their tips. They have access to my food, toothbrushes etc. Ewwww

I do not mess with autotips. If a particular waiter or steward does an exceptional job. I slip him/her some cash at the end of the cruise. It is so patronizing to had this person cash in advance to buy better service. It is just not done by people who understand.

Like someone else stated here, we like to ask what they prefer auto tips or cash. We mostly use cash.

We have asked many many crew members what happens if we remove auto tip and just give them cash. their answers have always been "nothing" they get the cash, and no they do not have to pool it. I had heard that so many times here so we ask every cruise and have not had one person tell us they have to pool the money.

The advantage of auto tip is everyone that deserves a tip gets it. If you tip in cash to the main people you are missing a lot of people that worked for you but you didn't see. They don't deserve to be shorted when they put in just as much work. JMO

The advantage of auto tip is everyone that deserves a tip gets it. If you tip in cash to the main people you are missing a lot of people that worked for you but you didn't see. They don't deserve to be shorted when they put in just as much work. JMO

You must be referring to the $1 a day... that was never done on RCCL

We tipped the room steward, the waiter, the asst. waiter and the maitre d.

I just looked this up and I bet that extra $1 adds up and does make a difference. HMM Maybe I will just leave it.

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

Archived