Water shoes?

NEHMAR

What is your opinion on needing water shoes for various excursions, like dolphin swim, stingray encounter, scuba diving, etc...? Will flip-flops do, or do we need shoes that we can keep on our feet and get wet in?

What is your opinion on needing water shoes for various excursions, like dolphin swim, stingray encounter, scuba diving, etc...? Will flip-flops do, or do we need shoes that we can keep on our feet and get wet in?

I can only comment on the stingrays in Cayman no water shoes needed.. just keep your feet planted in the sand if ya can:p.. don't scuba dive.. but I think you wear flippers for that not water shoes...;)

I swear by water shoes. My brother in law was one of those "never wore them, never needed them" type of people - until he accidentally stepped on a sea urchin. Now he won't go into the ocean without water shoes.

Besides protecting your feet they give you better traction. For example, if you went to Jamaica and wanted to climb Dunn's River Falls, water shoes would be of much more help than flip flops.

- Sharon -

I would bring the water shoes. Flip flops will try to come off your feet in the water and as another poster said, they won't provide the traction that water shoes will. I'd rather bring them and not need them than need them and have to rent. We forgot ours one year in Jamaica and we had to rent some for Dunns River Falls. I was grossed out by the thought of wearing shoes others had worn...

dolphins and stingrays BOTH will require you to have them OFF. I drug them the whole way specifically for them, and wasn't allowed to wear them for either excursion. Leave them at home.

Depends on where you do the dolphins and stingrays.

Did stingrays at HMC and we needed them.

I bloody hate water shoes, but they do offer certain advantages on rocky beaches that strap-on sandals don't ... mostly a modicum of protection because they're closed and the top part of the foot is covered.

Yes on the water shoes. You never know when you will step on a sharp

shell etc on the ocean floor. We have used them for years and take

them on almost every water excursion. They are easy enough to use and

small enough to take of and put in your backpack if you need to.

Crocks or water socks for hot/sharp/stickey/slippery areas. Easy on and off. Little or no space or weight for luggage and they dry faster than socks and tennis shoes. Great any night for MDR.

We ware rubber boots to scuba as they keep your feet from getting raw from fins and keep feet warm

Crocks or water socks for hot/sharp/stickey/slippery areas. Easy on and off. Little or no space or weight for luggage and they dry faster than socks and tennis shoes. Great any night for MDR.

I lol'ed at that part.

Seriously though, we got an HR directive (now that the weather is decent) basically outlawing crocs in our office. We're hoping Hobbit Shoes are next.

I swear by water shoes. My brother in law was one of those "never wore them, never needed them" type of people - until he accidentally stepped on a sea urchin. Now he won't go into the ocean without water shoes.

Besides protecting your feet they give you better traction. For example, if you went to Jamaica and wanted to climb Dunn's River Falls, water shoes would be of much more help than flip flops.

- Sharon -

happened to a friend of mine too. he need an operation to get it out of his foot.

I bloody hate water shoes, but they do offer certain advantages on rocky beaches that strap-on sandals don't ... mostly a modicum of protection because they're closed and the top part of the foot is covered.

They spoil my tan........

Depends upon where you go.

For example Dunns falls would not go without watershoes.

Cave tubing in Belize the same

Agree with above (I think they're required at Dunns River Falls & with good reason). Also good if going to Costa Maya & if I recall correctly, Snorkel Beach by Kings Wharf Berumuda. Flip flops just seem to float off your feet.

Check out Walmart for the water shoes. They have them for about $5. a pair. I got cute ones a while back that look like light weight sort of mesh fabric sneakers (they have laces) with rubber soles for maybe $10. It is money well spent.

LOL of course they would if you laid around on the beach all day with them on:eek: Dunno how much of a tan you would get underwater with them tho:D

Serious......I can have them on for maybe 5 minutes and it shows......I can tan in the shade:D Just walking from the ship to the beach I have flip flop feet.....

Archived